1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Chronic Hepatitis in Conure

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by chirpy.derp, 12/30/17.

1. chirpy.derp

chirpy.derp Meeting neighbors

Caitlin
    I'd rather not go into details, but one of my conures had a scary weekend. She was diagnosed with Chronic Hepatitis/Liver Disease(not fatty), which is an absolute shock to me. She is in a diet of Vetafarm pellets, Fresh fruit and veg, and egg and biscuit. However her blood test results came back and it was terrifying. She's now being isolated from my other parrots, and slowlh recovering...

She's now on Anti-biotics, and seems to be improving. I have some questions...

- How long will it last? I really don't want her to have this forever, she deserves so much better.
    - Can I catch it? I'm vaccinated for Hep C, but I'm curious.
    - Is there a chance the diagnosis is wrong?

Thanks, no judgmental comments thanks. She truly got the best of care which isn't why this isn so shocking and scary to me.

2. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    Likely a lifelong thing. Their little systems are delicate. Make sure you get her on milk thistle dandelion. It could have been a variety of things or even genetic. Now that you know, you can provide quality care.

Eloy, chirpy.derp and SandraK like this.
  3. chirpy.derp

Caitlin
    Okay thank you! I have heard of the Milk Thistle, so I'll look into that.

webchirp likes this.
  4. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    My vet swears by Vetri-DMG... so maybe another one to look into?

chirpy.derp likes this.
  5. alexmait

alexmait Meeting neighbors

That's terrible.:sad1: I hope it is not a lifelong condition for her. If you know another avian vet, it helps to get a second opinion, provided it's not too strenuous for your little conure.
    It helps to find a natural anti-inflammatory because ongoing inflammation can cause liver scarring. The only herbs I know of are Gentian and Cat's Claw but be careful-- if too strong, herbs can have adverse effects. Barley grass juice is good too.
    If the hep is viral, her immune system needs support.

Some health stores that sell supplements have a section of herbal remedies for pets.

6. chirpy.derp

Caitlin
    I think it was bacterial, she is doing so much better now on the antibiotics and another blood test bought back normal results.

Dartman, iamwhoiam, alexmait and 2 others like this.
  7. alexmait

alexmait Meeting neighbors

That's really good that she is better. I hope you two have many more years together.

8. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

That's wondeful news. Hope her health continues to improve.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)