• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chop 3.0

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
This is my 3rd time making a large scale chop. I always stress about it, what to include and all.
Unfortunately, I managed to overcook the squash (1.5hrs), following a human recipe, and it ended up being a mash instead of chunks. I am also not too happy with my chopping - it turned out to be too fine, and it doesn't seem accepted as well as the previous one. :(

I thought I'd post the ingredients, for others that might be looking for chop ideas. I made two somewhat different batches, and then added some spice in one half of each of those 2 batches. So, some variety. I tried to use organic whenever available.

The pictures show the approximate quantities.
Greens
Greens.JPG
Veggies
veggies.JPG
Grains
Grains.JPG
Extra
extra.JPG

Included in both:
- butternut squash
- broccoli
- sprouts
- millet
- bean soup mix
- barley
- dried basil 5 Tbs
- soup pasta 5 Tbs
- raw honey (as preservative) 2 Tbs
- carrots tops
- peas (freeze-dried)

Batch 1:
- kale
- rainbow swiss char
- frozen peas/corn
- peppers yellow/red
- flex seeds
- wild rice
- oats
- blueberries (freeze-dried)
- hot flakes/seeds (added in 1/2 of this batch)
chop1.JPG

Batch 2:
- collard greens
- watercress
- snow peas
- carrots
- chia seeds
- quinoa
- pellets dust
- pomegranates (freeze-dried)
- ginger
- cinnamon (added in 1/2 of this batch)
chop2.JPG

In numbers:
There were total of 138 little baggies like this:
photo 4 (4).JPG
Each little baggie is approximately 38.5 gr, packed in quart, then in gallon bags (triple bagged).
So that totals to over 5.3 kg (or 11 lbs) of food! The cost was about $50.
I just tested today, and for my 56 gr bird, I served approximately 13 gr of chop, and about 6 gr less was left at the end of the day (some days she eats more).

The inspector
photo 3 (1).JPG

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That looks very good! I have not seen pellet dust used in a chop before, but it is an interesting idea.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks so much for sharing your chop recipes. I do the same stressing but my stressing is due to my birds will devour a batch and then if I make it again the turn up their beaks...they do the same with alot of other stuff to-love it for a week then all of a sudden won't touch it.
I am assuming pellet dust if the result of crushing up pellets.

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That looks very good! I have not seen pellet dust used in a chop before, but it is an interesting idea.
Thanks so much for sharing your chop recipes. I do the same stressing but my stressing is due to my birds will devour a batch and then if I make it again the turn up their beaks...they do the same with alot of other stuff to-love it for a week then all of a sudden won't touch it.
I am assuming pellet dust if the result of crushing up pellets.
Yeah, little brats get spoiled! They turn down food that we know is so good stuff! :)

Pellet dust is from the crushed pellets. I sift the pellet bowl twice a day and save the dust in a jar. I then use it in chop as water absorber. In the other batch I used oats for that.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Yes, you have! I use it when the mix is too wet. I don't always remember to include it, though ;)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew