• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Chirp's bleeding

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Crushed red pepper is the same but its not powder. Its pepper flakes & seeds. Its really too big to mix.
No, the stuff I've got is just a fine powder. Think a similar consistency to cinnamon or ground sage or any number of herbs/spices that are powdered. The ingredients list isn't very helpful, because all it says is "Crushed red pepper" for the ingredients.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats ok to use as any powdered hot pepper will do.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Glad everything went well. The 24 hour ER's are scary, we have one about 45 minutes from us, we can make it in 20. We load and drive, make the call that we are coming while we are driving.

Everyone should know where there closest 24 hour ER for animals is, or at least know if there vet does emergency calls after hours. Great that you are putting together a first aid kit. Make sure you have electrolytes and syringes too.

Hope he is feeling himself soon.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Everyone should know where there closest 24 hour ER for animals is, or at least know if there vet does emergency calls after hours. Great that you are putting together a first aid kit. Make sure you have electrolytes and syringes too.

I second that! Our local 24-hr vet is not recommended, even by a vet, so we have to drive about an hour. It is well worth the trip.
We had to discuss/ decide about that this weekend, when the smallest dog -- who never goes off our property -- came down with a horrid case of kennel cough.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
EDIT:
I just looked, and I only have crushed red pepper. Is that the same thing as cayenne? My dad says it's the same thing, but I want to be sure.
it is the same thing but not powdered it needs to be powdered.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thats ok to use as any powdered hot pepper will do.
Alright, great. Thanks!

Glad everything went well. The 24 hour ER's are scary, we have one about 45 minutes from us, we can make it in 20. We load and drive, make the call that we are coming while we are driving.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

Today we're putting together that first aid kit, and tonight I'm going to be making a false bottom for his flight cage. What I'm thinking is a piece of cardboard cut to the inside dimensions of his cage. Then I'm gonna take out the grate and tray from the bottom, and push the cardboard up until it sits where I want it to. Then I can support it from underneath with rope perches. I'll put a towel on top to add some cushioning just in case he falls (he's not really a faller, but hey, you never know) and then paper towels on top of that. I'll probably keep that in there for a few days (well, I'm gonna replace the paper towels every day but you know what I mean), maybe a week until I think he'll be fine without it. THen he'll be going up to his travel/vet cage to sleep.

Probably gonna get started later, after I eat something. I'll update again once I'm done!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little guy, I'm so glad he's okay and the vet worked out well. It sounded very cute how he was so happy and relaxed when he got home.:heart: Quite the ordeal for the little bird!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Poor little guy, I'm so glad he's okay and the vet worked out well. It sounded very cute how he was so happy and relaxed when he got home.:heart: Quite the ordeal for the little bird!
Yeah! He's really been a handful these past few days, with all the injuries. First the blood feather, and now this! Hopefully it's the last time for a while that we'll have to go to the vet!

Update: I made that false bottom! Here's some pictures!

Here's his cage! It's the Prevue Hendryx flight cage. I cleared out the bottom so I could push the cardboard up once I took out the tray and grate.

Here's a closer shot of Chirp's cage. I've still got to move around perches and things, but otherwise it's probably going to end up looking similar.

Here's the base of the false bottom. I put a nice, thick piece of cardboard and wedged it in there. Then I supported it with 3 rope perches, two 32 inch ones and one 21 inch one. On top of the cardboard, I put 2 of those soft plush blankets and the bird towel (for absorbing spilled water, as well as to make sure nothing (i.e. bird poop) ends up on the blankets. Then finally I put some newspaper on top. Don't think I need to explain that bit.

And here's the network of perches that's supporting this thing.

So yeah! The false bottom. That way if he does end up falling for any reason, or even if he just goes down onto the bottom, he won't get hurt.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Clever way you modified his cage!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Clever way you modified his cage!
Thanks! Chirp seems to think so too! :hehe: He's running around and eating and playing with toys I've never even seen him touch before, so maybe this can turn out to be a good thing! He's gonna get to stay up late tonight, to familiarize himself with the new layout. Such a lucky bird! :giggle:

Also some more pictures!

The final layout!

A closer look inside the cage.

Well hello there bird boy!

The wire platform, with his activity mat I made, a fingertrap shredder (gotta love that crinkle shred!) his cuttlebone, and a toy I made out of veggie-tanned leather and the bendy bits of bendy straws.

Here you can see one of Chirp's manzanita perches, with an SS kabob with yucca discs and balsa slats, a toy I made from birdie bagels, shape links, and fingertraps stuffed with crinkle shred, and a toy I made with straws I used the Wacky Whirly tool on!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Nice toys, and he's so cute peeking through his Toy! Not spoiled at all, is he!:hehe:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chip is a lucky budgie!
Yep! We've come a long way together! He used to be in a teeny tiny cage (which is now what I use as a travel/vet cage) and he was a total seed junkie! Now he's eating seed as well as pellets and veggies, and he's got a whole (well half right now) flight cage to himself! He has toys galore, most of which I make (I typically spend 50$ a month on toys and toy supplies for Chirp) and a variety of perches and toys and foods available. Of course, we've also had our downs (like his recent injuries) but we've come out on the other side of it. I'm so glad he's with me!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hi all! Time for a little update.

Chirp seems to be getting better. His cut is healing over, the bruises are fading, and today he even did a bit of flapping in his cage! However, something slightly concerns me. He's been sitting on his platform perch a lot more than he usually does. Maybe it's just easier on his body? He has a variety of perches in his (currently divided) cage, but he doesn't have a rope perch in there right now. I'll put one in and see if he goes to perch on it. Update in a second.

EDIT: Update! I put one in and shifted some of the perches a little. When he saw me coming over, he moved to one of his manzanita perches. Guess he was just really comfy on his platform!

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Another update!

Chirp seems to have healed up. He is now a very confident flyer, and he is eating and playing well. He is on a diet of my homemade seed mix (millet, tricolor quinoa, sesame seeds, flax seed) Higgin's herbs and leafy greens, and Zupreem natural pellets.

Recently he dropped one of his tail feathers, which happened to be a blood feather. Luckily I knew what to do this time, I put flour on there and it stopped bleeding. We got him to the vet later that day, and the vet gave me a lot of praise, she said I did everything that I could do, and I did it well (I think I blushed at that point :) And now he's healing up. His cage is divided again, but he gets as much out of cage time as he wants, I made him a big platform/swing thing with a huge seagrass mat that hangs in the middle of the room.

So Chirp's doing good!

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm so glad Chirp (and you ) are ok now. Just got over a scare when cheeky landed in the toilet..guess we need to give them flying lessons lol.