• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Chirp's bleeding

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp flew off my shoulder and into a wall. Then like 3 minutes later he flew off my shoulder, down into the basement and landed safely on the floor. I picked him up and saw there was blood on his chest. I put him in his smaller cage and put styptic powder on it, which stopped the bleeding.

We called everywhere around here, and they're all either closed or they don't have an avian vet in today. We even called our regular vet with no luck. There's one place that's kind of far that's open 24/7 and takes birds, and we're trying to figure out how to get there.

It's gonna be 115 dollars just to get him looked at, not including any treatment or anything. Chirp is acting ok but I'm a big sobbing mess and I'm so scared and worried that I might lose my feather baby.

Please help.

Edit: It turns out the place is about an hour to an hour and a half away. It's north of O'hare airport. I guess that's our only option.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
can you please take a picture of where the blood is? you need to keep him warm, put half the cage on heating pad, and set the heating pad at low, put a thermometer near the cage, it should read about 95 degrees. put all the perches down low and food & water dishes low too. cover 3 sides of the cage to keep the warmth in the cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is he acting now? Has the bleeding started again? Do you see any broken blood feathers or any injuries on his body? Hope Chirp will be OK.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
don't use styptic powder on flesh wounds. Cornstarch or flour is safe. Hope Chirp is okay.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Can you tell where the bleeding is from? Is he still bleeding? Could it be from a feather. If he is acting fine it might be a broken blood feather. I hope he's okay!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:He just had a injury where he lost alot of blood due to a blood feather but think the vet pulled it?
So sorry he had another accident. I hope he is OK.

Could be another blood feather but have to check him over carefully.

Hope your little guy is OK.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Oh gosh, so many replies! I really appreciate all the well-wishes!

So we just got back from the emergency vet. We drove an hour and a half to get there.

To refresh everyone's memory, he flew and hit a wall, and then a couple of minutes later he flew off my shoulder, down the stairs, and into the basement landing safely on the ground. I picked him up and noticed he was bleeding from a small cut near the bottom of his keel bone. I put some styptic powder on there, and it stopped bleeding (this was before I knew that you shouldn't put it on flesh wounds) This was at 5:55 pm (or so.)

We called the normal vet, and none of their avian vets were in. We called a bunch of other places around here, and they were all either closed or their avian vet wasn't in. We got the number of a 24/7 emergency vet for birds and other "exotics" and we drove up there. I had Chirp's cage covered and the heat all the way up in the car.

We got there and they took him back to their heat room while we signed some paperwork and things. A couple minutes later, they took us back to a room. The avian vet and a tech came in. They said there was only a small cut, but extensive bruising. Since the bleeding stopped and he was acting ok (not labored breathing, moving around, being vocal, etc) she said that he looked all good. If we wanted, they could give him some medicine for the pain, but she said that it wouldn't even be necessary. She also informed me that styptic powder should only be used on nails, which I didn't know (one of the vets at Chirp's vet said it was okay.)

So we paid them and they brought Chirp out from the heat room. I covered him up, and we went on our way. Now we're back home, and as soon as we got in the door he started making his lovely little content clucking noises and grinding his beak. He's probably gonna be spending some time in one of his smaller cages, just so I can make sure he won't be silly and hurt himself again.

So tomorrow or so, we're going to go get some stuff to make up a first aid kit for the bird. Looks like I'll be putting some flour in there!

EDIT: Oh yeah! forgot to mention what vet I went to! It's Midwest Animal Emergency Hospital. Their website is Emergency Veterinarian serving Chicago area, exotic pets, birds, reptiles and you can find all their other info there! :)

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you for the update. I'm so glad it's not a serious injury! Hope he doesn't fly into a wall again!

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Glad everything turned out ok :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad he's okay.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that Chirp is doing OK. Maybe some training to redirect him from going into the walls or maybe when he is out you can to something to protect him from going into them.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Great that Chirp is doing OK. Maybe some training to redirect him from going into the walls or maybe when he is out you can to something to protect him from going into them.
Yeah. I'm thinking I'm going to start closing the door to my room when he's out, and I'll probably get/make something to show that there's a wall there. I'm thinking maybe some seagrass rope with bit of seagrass hanging from it, almost like a garland? I'm also looking at climbing nets for birds, maybe I'll get one and hang it on the wall.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad he's OK.
Gosh...ground him for a little while. He has a cut & some bruising but luckily nothing broken.

Watch him carefully though to make sure everything is OK.
He's got to stop flying into things...that's twice in under a week....

First aid kit is a good thing. Flour or cornstarch mixed with cayenne pepper makes a good wound bleed stopper.
Put some in a small jar or container.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
here is what you need for bleeding nails or otherwise. in old fashion film canister with tight cap, 1 tablespoon or either cornstarch or white all purpose flour and 1 tablespoon of cayenne powder. cap the canister and shake it together well. all you need for bleeding nail; is pinch between your thumb and first 2 fingers. pinch it tightly on to the nail and hold it tightly for 30 seconds. you can also mix the same pinch with a few drops of water to make a paste and smear it on with cotton swab for any other wounds.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Glad he's OK.
Gosh...ground him for a little while. He has a cut & some bruising but luckily nothing broken.

Watch him carefully though to make sure everything is OK.
He's got to stop flying into things...that's twice in under a week....

First aid kit is a good thing. Flour or cornstarch mixed with cayenne pepper makes a good wound bleed stopper.
Put some in a small jar or container.
Yeah. He's definitely going to be grounded for a while! I swear, he's not the brightest lightbulb in the package. First aid kit is going to happen though. Gonna start writing a list and compiling things tonight, and getting what I need tomorrow.

here is what you need for bleeding nails or otherwise. in old fashion film canister with tight cap, 1 tablespoon or either cornstarch or white all purpose flour and 1 tablespoon of cayenne powder. cap the canister and shake it together well. all you need for bleeding nail; is pinch between your thumb and first 2 fingers. pinch it tightly on to the nail and hold it tightly for 30 seconds. you can also mix the same pinch with a few drops of water to make a paste and smear it on with cotton swab for any other wounds.
That's a really good idea! Definalty going to be going into the first aid kit. Thanks!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I was just looking at that thread! I'm pretty sure I have some of the stuff that's on there. Time to get to compiling that kit!

EDIT:
I just looked, and I only have crushed red pepper. Is that the same thing as cayenne? My dad says it's the same thing, but I want to be sure.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Crushed red pepper is the same but its not powder. Its pepper flakes & seeds. Its really too big to mix.
If you can grind it into a powder it would work but that's hard to do & if you breath the dust it could burn your lungs.
I'd just go to the dollar store & buy a jar of the cayenne powder...do not get chili powder as that's for chili & has other spices in it.