• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chipping Blocks

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
My birds love chipping blocks and I bet yours do too!

What are chipping blocks, you ask? They are cross-cut pine wood blocks, and your parrot will think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Cross-cut wood is easy to chip and breaks off in little chunks rather than slivers of wood.

My hubby cuts all our blocks from untreated lumber, then we sand them to a super smooth finish and then if we are in a really good mood we color them all sorts of fun bright colors (with food coloring) :)

il_570xN.888445684_euyd.jpg
This is the medium Chipper toy with 3/8 wood. My caiques like this size and easily reduce it to a big beautiful pile of chips.

il_570xN.990907532_9bfp.jpg

This is a bigger version that has 3/4 inch thick cross cut wood. It is perfect for Amazons and similar sized birds.

il_570xN.990907544_im0x.jpg
Here is what the full toy looks like. It has cute little hardwood hearts hanging from it and the colored hardwood discs are a full 1/2 thick. It comes on nickel-plated chain but if you prefer sisal just let me know and I can switch it out.
il_570xN.904176347_gz85.jpg
And not to leave out the little guys. This is the parrotlet, cockatiel, lovie version.

Check them out and let me know what you think :)

The coupon code FUNMATS is still active for 10% off (until 12/31/16).

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can't be bothered to spend 1/2 hour building a toy that the "biological shredder" is going to destroy in less than 5 minutes. :lol:

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
They are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can't be bothered to spend 1/2 hour building a toy that the "biological shredder" is going to destroy in less than 5 minutes. :lol:

Your biological shredder ain't going through no half inch soft pine either. You started up that mulch sales business yet? :roflmao:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

This is true! What thickness do you make them for Tika. I love how he is holding that little piece in his mouth while he works on the rest. I have a skewer that I put 30 of them on for my bird, two birds can empty it out in less than a day. I don't really know how long it takes them I just know it is demolished when I get back.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is true! What thickness do you make them for Tika. I love how he is holding that little piece in his mouth while he works on the rest. I have a skewer that I put 30 of them on for my bird, two birds can empty it out in less than a day. I don't really know how long it takes them I just know it is demolished when I get back.
I don't measure them. :D I just grab a 2x4 and start cutting. Average 3/4 to 1". Some bigger. Some thinner. I lean towards the thick side to slow him down. :lol:
IMG_2502.JPG

That bag lasts about 2 1/2 weeks.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I like the nice, smooth chips this makes. Y'all're really onto something with this cross cut wood idea! :wideyed: I wear puncture-resistant gloves to clean Buzzz's cage and I still get poked by splinters from store bought toys and the way we've been cutting wood. We will definitely be trying this.

Also, it seems like it would last longer this way because they can only break off a bit at a time instead of splitting a hunk of 2x4 into giant toothpicks.