• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chipped beak

Valorous

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Embla
Hello! I need advice. This morning I noticed that my Hahn's is missing two pieces of his lower beak. First he missed one part and then an hour or so it had gotten bigger. He hasn't done anything too wild this morning so I really don't know how it just chipped off.

What should I do?

He doesn't seem too bothered but is acting very hyper and bitey :/

Attachments

Quaker Carl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carl
Bless him. He could of done this just chewing. You need to get some calcium into him to help his beak grow and stay really strong. Veggies, pure fruit juice will really help. Calcium perch, cuttlebone. Its an awkward chip so more might even break off before it gets better. Wouldnt hurt to give the vet a call for advice too x

Valorous

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Embla
I have called a vet and she asked me to send pictures so I did and am now awaiting her response. I'm just hoping she doesn't think it needs vet care because although I do have the money, of course, I'd rather not since it'd make a huge dent in my economy ahh. But it is what it is and if he needs a vet I'll of course happily pay.

He has a cuttlebone and I give him egg and eggshells sometimes to help with calcium. What veggies do you prefer? He gets daily veggie mix but I'm wondering if there are some that are better for this thing :^) Hm I can mash up an orange or something I have at home haha

Thank you so much for your response!

Quaker Carl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carl
If he is eating veggies then thats great. Seems he is getting enough calcium. Leafy greens offer the most. Lettuce, kale ect. I just meant an extra calcium boost would help his beak get better more quickly. Fruit juice would really help too. Keep us updated and dont worry, he is gonna be fine as drastic as it may look. Mine broke a flight feather 2 days ago and i freaked out lol x

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I'm wondering too if this has something to do with a possible Vitamin D deficiency. Since you're in Sweden (correct?), I'm wondering if he's been getting enough sunlight. If not, you may want to consider getting a full spectrum light bulb/lamp for him. Keep us posted, please!

Valorous

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Embla
I have a light for him :^) Got it suggested to me during his last vet visit (a check-up) and it's on every day so that should do the trick. Thank you for the response and I will update

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It looks like the lower beak is overgrown anyway so a trim is in order regardless. Hopefully the visit goes by smoothly and swiftly!