• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chilly's emergency dental

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Tuesday we had finally got the dogs to the vet to be updated on their vaccines. The vet did a quick look over the dogs and when he saw Chilly's teeth, it was not good. He told us to bring him back as soon as we return from our trip, so first thing Friday morning. I brought Chilly back yesterday to have some teeth removed. When I went back to pick him up they went over the details with me.
32 teeth had been removed, some of them still had all three roots meaning, had they been healthy, they would have been impossible to pull out. A lot of them were just black and diseased.
I was told that some of those teeth should have been removed long ago, I told them that our usual vet said it was not that bad. I have the teeth, they look awful, I can't imagine how painful it must have been to eat with all those bad teeth.
He has lost all teeth on the upper right side of his mouth, all but four teeth on the upper left side, three on one lower side, and a couple more on the other lower side (don't remember which side)
He is now on antibiotics and pain meds.
It also cost half of what the our vet estimated.
We are definitely switching vets, they don't do birds, but our cats and dogs need better care than what we have been getting.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry you’re dog had to go through that. What kind of dog is he? Small dogs are notorious for getting bad teeth. My Yorkie used to have a dental done about yearly and he only lost one tooth in 15 years. If I were a better owner, id be doing at home tooth brushing to extend time between dentals.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the problems with your dog's teeth. Good that this has been taken care of. Hope that Chilly will recover quickly.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Ouch :( Poor Chilly! Glad you got it taken care of, will definitely be better for him in the long run!