• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Chico is spending more time on his platform

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Even over the age of 50, Chico's hormones still rage. I used to put papers on his platform but would come back to this:

I know - trashing papers is his job, but we have come to a compromise because it was so difficult to clean him out. Wood takes more chewing...

Or sometimes he gets a telephone book:

Chico has a platform because he has bad arthritis which means he cannot perch properly for long. He is spending more and more time on the platform which I am happy about because it means he can hopefully rest his legs for longer periods of time. He is also pretty much blind now.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Chico looks great Roz! He's a very lucky little guy to have you for his Mama!!!

LOVE that phonebook!!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Whoa busy busy Chico! He’s doing great then!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear about the blindness, It's a shame really. There are certain animals that shouldn't ever have to deal w/ this birds are definitely one!

@Kodigirl210 & I were just talking about blindness in our fids & all things that you have to think about w/ a blind bird. My guy has sight issues & he's a Zon to but much younger (25 ish) than Chico.

I :heart: the ph. Book too :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Busy happy guy!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sorry @Rain Bow about your zon. How sad and in one not that old. I believe Chico's sight problems might be to do with poor diet.... and now he is getting cataracts in both eyes.

Thanks Saroj - I think he is kinda happy too. I think he probably misses the old couple who had him most of his life. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't try to imitate the old lady's voice from the other room but then I also think it might give him a sense of comfort.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry @Rain Bow about your zon. How sad and in one not that old. I believe Chico's sight problems might be to do with poor diet.... and now he is getting cataracts in both eyes.

Thanks Saroj - I think he is kinda happy too. I think he probably misses the old couple who had him most of his life. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't try to imitate the old lady's voice from the other room but then I also think it might give him a sense of comfort.

Yes, I fear my Dad gave him bad foods. The only time he gets really mad @ me is when I leave the room & when he can't have ham/bacon. I don't know if my Dad fed him or if he stole some @ some point. He's gotten a little better over time.

He seems to see Ok in the light, but in dim or shadowed situations he gets snippy if it's not me. Light the room up & it gets better again. What's weird is how 1 eye seems to have a lot of these deposits, & almost none in the other.

I'm really sorry about Chico 's situation. The sound of the lady's voice could cause him memory upset & make him question where things are. Kodigirl didn't pop by yet but she was telling me how w/ her fid going blind, she has to keep things the same. In the house & in the cage. They end up doing things from memory when they can't see.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love seeing toy shards at the bottom of a cage. I happy bird is a busy bird! Go Chico! :xflove::giveme5:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
@Rain Bow I wonder if your Amazon's sight will get better with a better diet? I have read that it is possible turn around nutritional deficiency blindness. Can't remember which vitamins but I think it was Vit A in the form of beta carotene (brightly coloured fruit and veggies). Antioxidents (fresh fruit and veg) apparently can help cataracts as can Omega 3 oils (ground flaxseed or oil). I make sure Chico gets ground flaxseed over his morning fruit, veggies and sprouts. It is also anti-inflammatory so will help with his arthritis.

Yes, I keep everything the same in Chico's cage and have parallel rope perches diagonally so that he can walk on one and feel the other with his beak to steady himself. His perches are close together so that he can move from one to the other easily. Food and water bowls are always in the same place.

Hoping your Amazon will recover. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret has a platform perch in her cage (basswood) and loves to chew on it. We have to replace it every so often or I think the bird would tumble while chewing!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Chico has platform perches and a platform, but can't stand on them as his feet won't open out. He does like chewing them though! :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow I wonder if your Amazon's sight will get better with a better diet? I have read that it is possible turn around nutritional deficiency blindness. Can't remember which vitamins but I think it was Vit A in the form of beta carotene (brightly coloured fruit and veggies). Antioxidents (fresh fruit and veg) apparently can help cataracts as can Omega 3 oils (ground flaxseed or oil). I make sure Chico gets ground flaxseed over his morning fruit, veggies and sprouts. It is also anti-inflammatory so will help with his arthritis.

Yes, I keep everything the same in Chico's cage and have parallel rope perches diagonally so that he can walk on one and feel the other with his beak to steady himself. His perches are close together so that he can move from one to the other easily. Food and water bowls are always in the same place.

Hoping your Amazon will recover. :)

Thanks for the info on the flaxseed! I knew about the anti-inflammatory part but my brain misplaced it till you mentioned it. It's been awhile since I went to the grocery that normally carries it. Maybe I'll have to make a trip & grab some this month. I'm going to be putting an order in w/ a vendor Unapproved Vendor's soon & she has a bunch of items that are good for inflammation.

Thanks for the flax reminder! :gbh: