• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chicks

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Seeing these guys really makes me want to try my hand at raising budgies. I've always loved them, have almost always had 1 or 2, but have never raised any. They're beautiful.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I want to make sure I understand this: I know cobalt - the deeper, more intense blue. yellow face II indicates the yellow is more intense - so 2 of the "yellow face" genes? Opaline indicates that the body color is suffused throughout the wings? Instead of black bars, they're now colored? Fallow is a "fading" gene (that's terminology borrowed from color inheritance in English shepherds, so maybe you use a different term...) so the bars are more grey or "cinnamon" brown, rather than black? But she's split for fallow, meaning she doesn't display it, but does have that gene.
So close !! ! :)

The Fallow is a deffinintely a different term when it comes to budgies. Fallow is an entire separate mutation and a very rare one. too If you look at the pictures of mine in post #26, you'll see the Fallow mutation.

The reason it is so rare is actually difficult to explain, but the simple version is this: The Albino portion of this mutation should technically wipe out all body and wing colours. With Fallows, this does not happen. The body colour is faded up near the chest, and gradually gets deeper towards the belly and rump. The wing markings are cinnamon in colour, and the eyes are red like what you would expect to see on an Ino.

This is a recessive gene as well, meaning both parents need to have this gene in either a visual or split form in order for the chicks to visually display the colours of a true Fallow.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Whew. I'll stick with raising Gouldians, the terminology is so much easier! :hehe:

Reactions: Jas

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
These two little Floofs went to their new home yesterday. They ended up being named Jackson, and Joshua. Goodbye my little sweets!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
What mutation is the yellow-faced white one? Albino, lutino, or something else? Are they both definitely boys?

lyx

Sprinting down the street
They are beautiful! and I love the names Joshua and Jackson :)

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
What mutation is the yellow-faced white one? Albino, lutino, or something else? Are they both definitely boys?
The one with the yellow face is an Albino, Yellowface II. Some people call this a "Creamino" So once he molts the yellow will bleed a little bit into his body feathers making him a lovely buttercup yellow colour.

Both of them are boys.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Ah. I didn't realize they could be both albino and yellow-faced. He's beautiful.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They are just gorgeous.