• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chicks

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Oh good they will be young. Please be sure to test both parents for AGY as it is so prevalent in our sweet budgies. :heart::heart:
Always! This breeder also tests for it regularly and is always negative. But still, every new bird I bring into my home, I quarantine and they always get a full vet check up. :)

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
All of the chicks have found new homes ! I couldn't be more excited for them, as they will each have someone special to love them and spoil them.

These two little floofs spent the night in the "real world" last night, instead of staying in the nest box. They are growing up so fast. These guys will actually be going to the same home, which will be awesome!

Enjoying some snuggle time while catching up on TV shows!

This little guy will be going to the cutest family ever! The little girl had a hard time picking her favourite chick, but settled on this one because he was the cuddliest and calmest with her.

And this girl is turning into a handful of energy and doesn't like to sit still! She will definitely need lots of attention.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Awe the 2nd to last looks just like my Jason! But that last one is gorgeous, the colors are so vibrant and her little eyes are so sweet :xflove:

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my!!!:faint: That fallow is adorable!
Thank you! She definitely is stunning. But she's only split to Fallow, meaning that this mutation is not visible on her. Visually she is a Cobalt, Yellowface II, Opaline. (Which isn't rare ate all, just really pretty!)

Here are some of my fallow chicks from the spring breeding. These are true Fallows, with red eyes, cinnamon markings, and blue/violet body colour. My pride and joys!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Here are the final photos of these chicks, I couldn't be happier! They each definitely have their own personalities, and have found homes that will love them forever.

Chick #1 Male
Albino, Yellowface II

Chick #2 Male
Lutino

Chick #3 Male
Cobalt Blue, Yellowface II, Spangle, Combination Pied

The last chick was not co-operating with me yesterday, so instead of stressing her out, I'll try and get her final pics tonight.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They are are all beautiful but I love the colors and patterns of chick #3. It's probably a good thing for my husband that you are in Canada.

lyx

Sprinting down the street
They are all so adorable with stunning colours! And they seem to be lovely little characters too. :D

If only you were in England! I've been struggling to find budgie breeders that aren't aviary birds here.

Reactions: Jas

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They are all so beautiful. Thanks for explaining the coloration too, for those of us to whom all those terms are a mystery. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will never tire of seeing your babies in photos. It is a good thing you are not in US because we would stalk you until we had at least one of your babies. I know I would. I imagine breeding such nice budgies is hard but rewarding work.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
She is strikingly beautiful.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
This may be a ridiculous question... do you hand-feed these guys, or just handle them regularly as they grow? They look so comfortable with you. They're beautiful!!

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Oh,my! The cobalts are my favorite! So beautiful!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
This may be a ridiculous question... do you hand-feed these guys, or just handle them regularly as they grow? They look so comfortable with you. They're beautiful!!
I only hand feed if/when necessary. If a hen abandon's her chicks, or start being aggressive, then I step in. I've only had this happen once, where I couldn't foster the chicks into another nest. I work a full time job, so hand feeding just isn't in the cards for me, unless i take lots of time off. (Which would be nice!)

The chicks are handled and loved and spoiled every single day. This gets them used to hands, fingers, people in general and they end up just as tame as a hand fed chick would be. They become very bonded to people and will seek out that attention that they are used to. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What do you mean by a "handful of trouble" She is really a pretty female. Yellow faced cobalt?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your chicks are so beautiful. The colors on Dhalia are striking.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
What do you mean by a "handful of trouble"
She is definitely a more independent bird who prefers to have things HER way. I can't take my eyes off of her when she's out and about, otherwise she'll be found chewing up the mail, destroying the window screens, stealing food that may be left unattended. She gets into EVERYTHING! And she's not a cuddly bird like the others, she'll sit on my finger for a few minutes, but that's about it.

She is really a pretty female. Yellow faced cobalt?
Cobalt, Yellowface II, Opaline / Fallow

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Cobalt, Yellowface II, Opaline / Fallow
I want to make sure I understand this: I know cobalt - the deeper, more intense blue. yellow face II indicates the yellow is more intense - so 2 of the "yellow face" genes? Opaline indicates that the body color is suffused throughout the wings? Instead of black bars, they're now colored? Fallow is a "fading" gene (that's terminology borrowed from color inheritance in English shepherds, so maybe you use a different term...) so the bars are more grey or "cinnamon" brown, rather than black? But she's split for fallow, meaning she doesn't display it, but does have that gene.