1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chicken Free Cat Foods?

Discussion in 'The Cat Tree' started by Mizzely, 12/23/16.

1. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Shawna
    My old tabby gal, Jasmine, has a suspected allergy to chicken that is causing her to lick the fur off her belly and hind legs, and lose weight. We're switching her diet around, gave her a steroid shot for relief, and blood work should be in early next week. I already feed grain free food, wet food in the mornings and dry available through the day. I have some Canidae Pure Sea dry and wet foods coming in the mail but it won't be here until Wednesday and I cannot find any within an hours drive.

Any other recommendations that I can keep an eye out for? I know of Orijen Fish also but that was a bit more expensive and had a lot more protein sources. I am trying to see if I can find anything locally that I can supplement with until the new food arrives (which I do have to do a gradual change over with anyways).

Criteria:

- Grain Free
    - Chicken Free, including no chicken fat
    - ideally has dry and canned available with same ingredients

Thanks!

2. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Perhaps Blue Buffalo?

Mizzely likes this.
  3. Laurul Feather Cat

Laurul Feather Cat Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Lois
    Natural Balance has several "limited ingredient" cat foods in both dry and wet forms. I tried them when a vet thought my Apache Cat had a chicken allergy and they were great. download.png

Sylvi_ and Mizzely like this.
  4. Sylvi_

Sylvi_ Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Sylvi
    Blue Wilderness does have chicken fat aswell as chicken meal as an ingredient, even in their beef recipes.

I know Taste of the Wild has this chicken-free option in both dry and wet.
    Link: Taste of the Wild Canyon River Dry Cat Food, 5-lb bag - Chewy.com

Good luck finding a food for your kitty! :)

iamwhoiam and Mizzely like this.
  5. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Shawna

Oh, this might be good! We've done the rocky mountain formula before and they liked that (of course the other cat in my home is a picky eater, nothing can be easy with cats! :lol: )

iamwhoiam and Sylvi_ like this.
  6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Sorry about that....thought Blue Buffalo was OK.
    Check out this list:
    Chicken Free Cat Food

It's not always easy to find foods for our animal friends who have allergies. My dog has food allergies and creates stones and the prescribed foods contained some of his allergens. Finally found a food for stone producers that does not contain pork products, oats or corn. The new product was just released last year.

Laurul Feather Cat and Mizzely like this.
  7. Mizzely

Shawna
    Yeah, chicken and grains are so cheap that they get used a lot unfortunately! And I'm weary of using turkey, even though it should be okay

8. Mizzely

Shawna
    So here is my list, broken down by ingredient breakdowns for dry food, with cost per pound per current pricing on Chewy.com (exception - EVO, as that is not available on Chewy). I have excluded any recipes that have turkey, but did list the few I found that were good except had eggs - which I am concerned about also.

Multiple animal protein, first 5+ ingredients meat
    Orijen Six Fish ($5/lb)
    ACANA Wild Atlantic Regional Formula Grain-Free ($4.20/lb)
    ACANA Appalachian Ranch Regional Formula Grain-Free ($4.10/lb)

Multiple animal protein, first 4 ingredients meat
    Evo Herring and Salmon ($3.50/lb)

Multiple animal protein, first 3 ingredients meat

Canidae Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Diet PURE Sea ($3/lb) *
    Canidae Grain-Free PURE Ocean with Tuna Indoor Formula ($2.90/lb)

Multiple animal protein, first 2 ingredients meat
    Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Fish & Potato ($2.90/lb)

Multiple animal protein, first ingredient meat
    Feline Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet Leaping Spirit Entrée Grain-Free Dry ($3.80/lb)

Single Animal Protein, Animal First
    Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Rabbit Meal Formula ($4.79/lb) *
    Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Duck & Potato Indoor ($2.90/lb) *
    Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Salmon Recipe ($2.50/lb) *
    Chicken Soup for the Soul Limited Ingredient Diet Salmon & Legumes Grain-Free ($2.40/lb)
    Feline Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet Wild Ocean Holistic Entrée Grain-Free ($4.50/lb)

Single Animal Protein, Plant First
    Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Green Pea & Venison ($3/lb) *
    Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Green Pea & Salmon ($2.50/lb) *
    Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Green Pea & Duck Formula ($2.50/lb) *

Contains Eggs
    ACANA Grasslands Regional Formula Grain-Free ($4.10/lb)
    Go! Sensitivity + Shine Limited Ingredient Diet Duck Recipe ($4/lb) *
    Orijen Regional Red Grain-Free ($5/lb)

*has an accompanying acceptable wet food

iamwhoiam likes this.
  9. iamwhoiam

Are there any cat food review websites? I know there is an excellent one for dog food and they are creating one for cat food but it's not available yet.

10. Mizzely

Shawna
    iamwhoiam likes this.
  11. Mizzely

Shawna
    So we're currently converting to the Canidae Pure Sea dry and canned food. So far they LOVE the canned which is awesome because they are SUPER picky when it comes to canned. Am having to do a slow conversion with the dry though (mixing old and new foods) because when i tried to do 25% new food Jasmine was throwing up from indigestion. So taking it slower than recommended which sucks for her allergy but at least she's able to keep food down. Luckily the steroid injection seems to have helped quite a bit.

iamwhoiam likes this.
  12. iamwhoiam

It's great that you found something they like. Hope it helps with the allergies.

13. Mizzely

Shawna
    Me too!

iamwhoiam likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)