• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

chicken bones - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
so, i've seen some of you talk about giving chicken bones to your birds and I thought weeble might enjoy it, as well. I don't eat meat, but I have friends that do and I'm wondering if I can get their chicken bones and do something with them myself? Any suggestions? I don't know nothin' about cookin' no chicken (or anything, really):D.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You just pull the bones out of the already cooked chicken. Leave a tiny bit of meat on them and let them have it.

They may eat a little bit of the meat and usually end up cracking them open to get the marrow out. Provided your bird is big enough to hold the bone and strong enough to crack it open.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
That's what we do. Get a couple of thighs, cook through and through, let it cool down, pull the meat off and give the bone to them. If you have a little bird, take a large knife, place it length wise on the bone and take the heel of your hand and press it down hard enough to split it. If your not strong enough take a hammer or a rubber mallet and hit it.

Ginger

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Now if anyone would have a suggestion how I can convince Ceddy that I'm not trying to poison her when I offer her chicken bone - seeing that she runs SCREAMING whenever I try to give her even the smallest bit :rolleyes: I'd appreciate it :cool:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now if anyone would have a suggestion how I can convince Ceddy that I'm not trying to poison her when I offer her chicken bone - seeing that she runs SCREAMING whenever I try to give her even the smallest bit :rolleyes: I'd appreciate it :cool:
Ceddy, Hiram says "try it you'll like it!":lol:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ceddy, Hiram says "try it you'll like it!":lol:
That's what I keep telling her but does she listen? NOOOO! :lol:
The strange thing is that she loves chicken meat but as soon as she sees the bone it's like I'm coming after her with a knife :confused:

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Tinkerbell who was a trashcan with jaws and want to eat anything that we ate, and loved the chicken bone that we did not care to eat.

Riamfada was a card carrying Vegan. I couldn't have imagined greys could be so different, and not just in choice of food.

I had to sneak animal protein into her mash via cooked mince meat kneaded into that, with occasional yolk of hard boiled egg also kneaded into her baggie of mash.
It took about a year of persistent offering before she decided chicken leg bone was not poisonous.

I loved to see her munching on the bone as the calcium so good for them not to talk about the marrow.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yea, Ceddy is one picky eater! It's taken me 2 1/2 years to get her to finally eat her leafy greens without having to hide them chopped into tiny bits and mixed into other foods. She does also now eat egg, chicken and even fish on rare occasions. It just seems that the chicken bones really freak her out for some reason :confused:

I won't give up and neither will I trying to get her to eat orange coloured veggies, just as I didn't give up with her leafy greens - I can be quite stubborn :D

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Do you eat chicken? Take a drumstick and eat it in your hands..slowly..like it was the best most wonderful thing you ever ate..make lots of yum noises...when you see your bird looking at it turn away as if you refuse to share...let the bird "convince" you to share. Just make sure the bone is not too hot..or the bird will be convinced its dangerous and hurts. You might have to do this a few times..but it might work.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Me? I LOVE chicken :D Yea, tried that too ... a number of times.

That's the funny thing about it. She'll happily share the meat but as soon as the bone becomes visible to her ... there she goes - off SCREAMING again :confused:

I've also tried chopping it into small bits and adding them to her fresh food bowl ... result: she wouldn't go anywhere near the bowl, preferring to starve herself rather than at least throwing the pieces out although the bowl did contain favourite foods clearly visible :rolleyes:

I think next I'll just scrape some of the marrow out and mix them with her food - see what happens ...

As I said, I'm not giving up.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
thanks for the tips everyone. i don't eat or cook it, but my girlfriend does and she'll be here in a couple of weeks, so I'll get her to make and eat it:D

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
I know greys are so intelligent that they are so individual in likes, dislikes and quirks.
Even so, this talk of food and bones is mind boggling onto their individuality and spirit that they showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.