• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chick Colours

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am not a baby tiel expert, but I think it's too soon to tell what they are. @Monica ? @CeciliaZ ? If you do have normal greys (which they would be split to something I believe) it's actually a good thing because normal greys are becoming rare.

Normal Grey - Just Cockatiels!

Your birds are very cute!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful parents and cute babies.

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
Whats happened is since the parents don't share the same mutations the chicks have come out visually as the dominant "wild type" grey. to produce visual pieds both parents must carry the gene either visually like the father or split (where they have a white patch behind the head) since the mother is not pied or split pied you won't get any visual pieds
To produce a pearl the father MUST be a visual or split pearl as female pearls will only pass it down to sons as splits (hidden) since you don't have any pearls we can assume your male does not carry this mutation
But you look to have whiteface chicks, this means the father is split whiteface.
the chicks will be useful in future pairings though, as they will all be split pied and the males also split pearl

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
Actually on my screen the chick closest to us looks like it could possibly be a cinnamon? (more pics can confirm or not) if it is then the male would be split cinnamon and the chick would be a female

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Your whiteface pearl hen is gorgeous!

Cassandra is correct, in that it appears that you have whiteface and normal colored offspring. If there are no other hidden genes, you'll only get normals and whitefaces. All males will be split pearl pied and all females split pied.

Iangodfrey1960

Meeting neighbors
Actually on my screen the chick closest to us looks like it could possibly be a cinnamon? (more pics can confirm or not) if it is then the male would be split cinnamon and the chick would be a female
Thanks very interesting here are some more pictures
20170919_100727.jpg 20170919_100722.jpg 20170919_100727.jpg 20170919_100722.jpg 20170919_100727.jpg 20170919_100722.jpg

Iangodfrey1960

Meeting neighbors
I am also concerned about the youngest chick it does not seem to be developing feather growth size ect any input would be appreciated thank you

Iangodfrey1960

Meeting neighbors
Your whiteface pearl hen is gorgeous!

Cassandra is correct, in that it appears that you have whiteface and normal colored offspring. If there are no other hidden genes, you'll only get normals and whitefaces. All males will be split pearl pied and all females split pied.
Look at her/him now 20170926_193824.jpg 20170926_193737.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They are beautiful.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Such cute babies!:heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So we know the father is split pearl and mother split pied, since you have a normal colored, a whiteface, and a whiteface pearl pied chicks.

Iangodfrey1960

Meeting neighbors
So we know the father is split pearl and mother split pied, since you have a normal colored, a whiteface, and a whiteface pearl pied chicks.
Hi dad is a pied mam is a whiteface pearl can you explain split to me please and will they always have a mixture of babies thank you

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
A split means that they are carrying the gene. Dad is a visual pied but he also is split pearl meaning he carries the pearl gene as well. Mom is a visual white face pearl but also is split pied meaning she carries the pied gene as well. This can be determined by the mix visual traits of your chicks. Some of their mutations are sex linked.

That is as far as I can explain because I don't know cockatiel genetics. But I did have a biology course in college that had a heavy section of genetics so I do understand the terminology and the general principals.

While it is probable that they will always have a mixture of chicks due to the laws of chance. It is possible that any given clutch could all be the same.