• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chicas butt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, I would like to know more about the medication your vet gave your bird. The only antibiotic that I know of that will last more than a day is Doxycycline which will last seven days using the long lasting version.

A possibility from what you are describing and noted others is Giardia. If you bird did have Giardia it would need another type of antibiotic. Your vet can check for Giardia in a fecal float or Trichrome stain but the preferred method would be a PCR fecal test. Here is a link on Giardia: Giardia: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

All we can do is make suggestions, you vet with his hands on experience and diagnostic tool has to find the problem your little one is having.

gary

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks...ask the vet exactly what was given her, and what each med was for. If any were antibiotics ask why only one treatment, and why not successive treatment to maintain theraputic levels in the body.

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
Sorry for the late update.

She got baytril and promicol , i have googled this and i am not sure its the right stuff he wrote it down for us on paper but his handwriting is not that good

As for Chica she is doing soooo much better, the swelling went down alot and she is not touching it nor does she seem to be plucking herself or overpreening the last days but we will keep an eye offcourse on her. He did gave us a cream we should put on her touchy twice a day for the next week and he wants to know how it looks then.

We also sended 2 stool samples to him and he will check for worms.

We also asked him why he did not give her more then 1 shot of antibiotica and the reason for this was because he did not feel it was as bad as we thought it was and that the cream would handle it just fine afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.