• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chia Seeds

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Bought organic chia seeds for the first time.other than growing hair on a chia pet and makin John's parrot butter (I also have coconut oil--which is yummy on popcorn), what do I do with them, how many can little hyperactive bird have, etc.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
Chia seeds are a HUGE hit around here... My Parrotlet Jaxson will eat them "straight" sprinkled in with his food, my CAG enjoys them baked in birdie bread, sprinkled in his scrambledvegg etc... The suns prefer it mixed with mash, harvest grain mix, quinoa etc. My little guy gets a half tsp or so while the bigger birds get a bit more in a serving.

Nevermores Mum

Real Name
Kacie
Coconut oil is EXCELLENT too btw!!! Coconut oil really helped my Sun who came to me in terrible shape. He is calmer too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can mix them into any kind of soft wet food, bird bread etc. They can have as much as they'll eat mixed into whatever you make. I don't feed them "just" chia seed. The chia pet is actually a great way to serve them (sprouted)

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
You can mix them into any kind of soft wet food, bird bread etc. They can have as much as they'll eat mixed into whatever you make. I don't feed them "just" chia seed. The chia pet is actually a great way to serve them (sprouted)

I'm glad I found this.. I was just thinking about that chia pet and wondering if they could eat the sprouts. I haven't bought any seeds yet but I am planning on getting some on my shopping trip tomorrow :)

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
That's actually a cool idea. I wonder if I got one and put it out if the birds would give it haircuts!

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
This actually sounds like fun. What could we use to make the seeds 'stick'? In chia pets there is sticky stuff... a little honey or butter (almond, peanut...), maybe?