• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewing problem

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
i know most say there is nothing you can spray on wood or furniture to stop your bird from chewing. But I ran across a video and this lady mentions Kings No chew. Has anyone tried it and if so did it work? B89B140E-C74E-46D4-BB57-A0505C02B093.png

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Chewing is not a problem whatsoever if their environment has been adapted to make it acceptable. If they’re chewing on the humans favourite things then the human is not doing things right.

A cockatoo is going to chew no matter what you do. It’s much easier to work with a behaviour than to try and quash it with some potion.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I have used bitter sprays on cables and electronics to try to dissuade Pippin from chewing on them. No luck.

The two best ways of getting your birds to stop chewing on things they shouldn't:

1. Remove their access to the item;

2. Provide them with a more appealing alternative.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That lady mentions a lot of things ;)

I personally wonder how a product like that can work seeing as how parrots only have about 350 taste buds at the BACK of their throats and tongues. When chewing, parrots do not move items to this location, so it would be quite difficult for them to actually taste a bittering agent on something they don't intend to consume.

They also have poor sense of smell.

So unless the spray speaks to a sense that can detect it, I'm not sure how it would be effective. So it would need to look, hear, or feel in a manner that they do not like.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
@JLcribber shes chewing the trim around our doorways in the house and ripping some of the paint off. She has tons of chew toys and chooses the trim. Today for instance I’m cleaning and I have her out with me and she goes straight for the trim. What is the best way to correct her? We are gonna try putting some cardboard around trim so she cannot land on it. And I will not trim her wings. I’ll post a pix in comments.

Last edited:

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
i know most say there is nothing you can spray on wood or furniture to stop your bird from chewing. But I ran across a video and this lady mentions Kings No chew. Has anyone tried it and if so did it work? View attachment 293799
She gets paid by the distributors. She will literally sell you anything.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
@JLcribber shes chewing the trim around our doorways in the house and ripping some of the paint off. She has tons of chew toys and chooses the trim. Today for instance I’m cleaning and I have her out with me and she goes straight for the trim. What is the best way to correct her? We are gonna try putting some cardboard around trim so she cannot land on it. And I will not trim her wings. I’ll post a pix in comments.

Glad you won't trim her wings. You can use deterrents or you can cover up the area. Brightly coloured ribbon that will flutter as she flies close may scare her from the area. I used something similar to keep my birds from perching on my hanging pot rack. Pinning up a cloth or towel may work as well.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
What kind of bird do you have?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My birds have always been afraid of pool noodles so I use those in areas I don't want them

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is the damage she’s been doing.
Two easy solutions right off the top.

1) Tape a 3 inch wide strip of cardboard to the wall just above the trim so it hangs over the trim on a 45 degree angle. No foothold to land. No land. No chew trim.

1) Mount a wood shelf out of 2x6 lumber above the trim on the door. The bird lands on the shelf (and can chew and shred to its hearts content) no chew trim. When 2x6 gets chewed to nothing. Replace with a new one.

Cardboard Trim.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The long term solution (and let's not kid ourselves you're looking at the next 40+ years) is to adapt a room just for him so he does not destroy your room.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Anything that Marlene recommends would be the last very LAST thing I would use. Marlene is not a trustworthy endorsement for anything but being a DRAMA QUEEN!!!!!!
I would do what John said.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Nancy B we have a G2. @JLcribber thank you for sharing. I love that idea. Gonna work on getting that done.
Ah....I was wondering. There is another lady on here who has had that issue with her G2. @sunnysmom I tagged her to see if she can help.
I love the G2's, and love reading about them but I know I wouldn't have the energy for one, Fred is pretty laid back. At least NOW he's still laid back
:hehe:

Love John's suggestions!

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
parrots only have about 350 taste buds at the BACK of their throats and tongues. When chewing, parrots do not move items to this location, so it would be quite difficult for them to actually taste ... They also have poor sense of smell.
And yet they're so darned picky! :rolleyes1:

1”x2” strip of wood above the doors and windows
Mount a wood shelf out of 2x6 lumber above the trim on the door. The bird lands on the shelf (and can chew and shred to its hearts content) no chew trim. When 2x6 gets chewed to nothing. Replace with a new one.
Love these!