• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Chewed her foot open?

Zerakou

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Nami's got some cracks in her feet (so ive been helpin with coconut oil for three days now, she doesnt seem to mind unless its on her beak) It seems to have significantly helped, however today after application did a lot more beak rubbing and grinding. I had her out for a few hours climbing all over me on the couch and whatnot so the oil was well absorbed and wiped off on my clothes when i put her up.

Still nothin unusual other than her rubbing her beak on me and her 2x4 perch more than usual. I seen her in her cage, she'd chew on her toe nail and then scratch. Chew some more (on the nail) and scratch, saw her a few times.

Then i got up and noticed red spots on her perch and figured it was from dunking toys or food but it was also on her metal bell and it's quite obviously blood.

I just washed her on the first and deep cleaned her cage, she had hardly anything at the bottom of her cage but I went and washed her feet, perch and cage again tonight so her feet are about as clean as birdy feet get.

Im assuming she just had something on her foot and accidently picked herself open. I'm assuming I've got nothing to worry about but wouldnt mind some input if anyone has any.

Here's a pic as well, shes a daddy's girl so the picture wasnt too much of a pain to get (It looks to me it originated from between her toes):

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Macaw yes?

Let's start with your perches. Does she have adequate perches of different diameter? The red spot on her hock looks like she has too large or too small of diameter. Does she have natural perches or just straight uniform dowel rods?

Coconut oil is great but I would also suggest some changes to her perches. Wood, cotton, flat, maybe even some vet wrapped spots.

Zerakou

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Yep, she's a macaw.
In her cage she currently just has her 2x4s. Most natural branches dont last more than a few days and that's being generous. When she's out shes on a natural apple branch but she's less destructive outside of her cage, which she is fairly often. (disabled vet).

What would be the best way to goin about vet wrapping them? Although if you have a durable branch you can point me towards, that would be fantastic as well.

Last edited:

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
You can by vet wrap online. I found mine on amazon

Zerakou

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Well I cant edit, but I found a good place to order some 1.5-2.5" java wood perches and I grabbed a 2" dragonwood perch.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Perfect.

You can buy vet wrap at any tractor/farm store. It's actually for horses. :) I would grab some smaller and larger than the ones you have, aso maybe a cotton rope perch or platform perch.
Usually their main sleeping perch is to blame, I would make sure to change that one. If hers cracks and red marks don't clear up I would look at her diet, humidity levels and/or it might be a good time to see your vet for a checkup.

We have plenty of great stores here to shop from! List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum What is your sweetie's name?

Zerakou

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Would a 1" rope be suitable for her? As for a platform perch, how big should it be? I have 2x4s and enough brackets to make craft one up as soon as the new perches come in.

I've got Nami (harlequinn macaw), Chopper (parakeet) and Boa (GCC) the latter share a cage and usually have free reign of the house and never have any issues other than the gcc nails get a big long bc she gets nippy around the dremel.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't see any "cracks" in her feet. I do see an injury. Should be treated like one. Medicated ointment would be recommended action. Doesn't appear that bad.

A parrot's feet are scaly and supposed to be dry. It's one of the ways they regulate body heat (hot and cold). Clogging the pores on the feet with oil doesn't help much IMO.

Then she gets it in her beak so she tries to rub it off but because it's oil it doesn't run off. She keeps on rubbing.

I agree with Sarah. The large red spot is the beginning of bumble foot from too much time on an incorrect perch. If you get a good naturally shaped (larger diameter) manzanita perch where she's spending all this perch time she won't be able to destroy it. I would hang the 2x4s close by as a target for that beak instead.

Red Palm Fruit Oil In the "diet" is a great for feathers beaks and skin.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My macaw started getting the same red spot on his hock a while ago. I just made sure to add a nice rope perch and some more Java and manzanita, the rope being my guys favorite hang out. He had a sandy perch and that wasn’t working out for his feet though I know a lot of parrots have no issue with them.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I get all my flat perches from Seriously Nutz to give you an idea of sizing. I also got the rope there for my guy and have another in the mail right now. When I first got my macaw he had a foot injury and the vet wasn’t sure he’d ever use it again so I’m very conscious of his foot health as crazy as that sounds lol. I found variety was the best bet.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Would a 1" rope be suitable for her?
A 2 1/2" thick rope would be much more appropriate for such a large bird. You want the birds feet to sit "on" the perch (and grip with nails) and not "around" the perch.