• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cheeky Bowser

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have the window open because the weather is nice but my neighbors are having their pool redone, so I didn’t want Bowser directly there with the dust.

My turkeys area is right outside this window and they like to coo and talk to each other most of the time. Well I thought I had the curtain pulled over more so he wouldn’t get to the open portion...wrong lol.

Here he is when I said “Bowser, don’t go near the opening it’s dusty today.” Note his foot already moving for the curtain at lightening speed.
A9CB43B7-E0F0-45F5-A8B5-A00FD78E473C.jpeg

And here is my cheeky fella covering himself with the curtain sure that he’s hidden lol. 8C989611-8F8F-424C-83AA-6DE36B968F8E.jpeg

And finally when I said I’d give him some pine nuts if he just moved away from the window. E27878D6-1A76-47E0-B7D4-EEF5C06D2226.jpeg

Then I went to get the nuts and came back to this... 01BD790C-2500-45DC-BEB6-35008EAAE495.jpeg
:heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:joyful: What a cute little stinker. And so clever, too! :laugh:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's so wonderful to see Bowser well and cheeky. You have done a yeoman's job with him.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I love how well they listen. :rolleyes: or care... I think they listen and don't care. :)

Tell Bowser he is lucky I'm miles away. ;) He needs his nails done. :laugh:
I literally said if I post these I bet Sarah is going to get on me about his nails lol. I just trimmed them. It’s a loooong process of one nail at a time, pine nut, next nail, sip of tea, next nail, nut...lol.

And he listens and promptly disregards. o_OHe did listen and go to the other side of the room after the second time lol. :joyful:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I literally said if I post these I bet Sarah is going to get on me about his nails lol. I just trimmed them. It’s a loooong process of one nail at a time, pine nut, next nail, sip of tea, next nail, nut...lol.

And he listens and promptly disregards. o_OHe did listen and go to the other side of the room after the second time lol. :joyful:

Oh man, I tackle them and get it over with. ;) I have maybe three that will let me do it without a towel. I have to do the hy's.. and Maui.. ugh. They make me chase tackle and towel.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa

Oh man, I tackle them and get it over with. ;) I have maybe three that will let me do it without a towel. I have to do the hy's.. and Maui.. ugh. They make me chase tackle and towel.
I can’t do that with Bowser. He had to be put in the oxygen tank to recover last time he went to the vets and was toweled. It took me a long time to get him to trust the towel at home so I could drape it over him after a shower. If the person (I want to write other words for him :grumpy:) who had him before me hadn’t literally thrown him around in a towel a lot it may be different.

So instead I spend an hour gently getting him to lift up his little feet and quietly clipping each nail (because he gets very frightened at the clicking sound) between playtime lol. He looks so brave though when he does it I can’t be mad. It looks like I’m asking him to step on fire lol.

It’s one of the reasons I debate so hard about ever getting a second full size macaw. Bowser needs everything done in a “Bowser way” lol.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He is way too adorable hiding behind his curtain. :heart:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So Lisa... :laugh:

Had to come on and tell you...

Went to work today, looked at Volar and :facepalm: "the pot calling the kettle black!" :rofl:

They were worse than Bowser :shy:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
So Lisa... :laugh:

Had to come on and tell you...

Went to work today, looked at Volar and :facepalm: "the pot calling the kettle black!" :rofl:

They were worse than Bowser :shy:
It happens :laugh:. This is Bowser the day before the thread photos when I noticed his nails. He was kind enough to show them off to their best advantage (and my shame:banghead:) by hanging by just one from your swing :rolleyes:.

He loves doing that and alternates toes and sides of the swing while saying “good boy Bow.” :bgm: 0348A718-EE6E-42CF-85A4-1632DDF1F2C9.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh yah... Volar was much worse. I just stood there thinking "the pot calling the kettle black" :rolleyes:

Bowser is quite a mute yellow. Have you noticed compared to BG coloring? We know he is a hybrid but I can't help but wonder what his parents looked like. :) He is such a handsome boy!

He is not a hardwood chewer huh? Least... not yet?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Those nails are not that bad. Often we are trimming them to much. Just so the will fit us better.
Look at their nails when they live in the wild.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I didn't see any nails, just a bunch of sweet birdies. He must have turned off the camera because he went to get another banana for the ones who didn't get any! :yes1: Poor starving angels. :angel2:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@Macawnutz He definitely looks slightly different from a blue and gold, in person especially. He has kind of a very muted gold sheen all over when the light hits and his green on his head is also just a little different from a full b and g. Almost like it has mustard color mixed in instead of a vibrant green.

I do wonder what his parents looked like. Bowser is his own kind of macaw :D and it’d be nice to have a reference.

He took a few slivers and nibbles from the hardwood rings, but he hasn’t destroyed one yet. He likes to play with them sliding them up and down chain. For now he’s still all about pine and his newly discovered love for corks :joyful:.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Those nails are not that bad. Often we are trimming them to much. Just so the will fit us better.
Look at their nails when they live in the wild.

Yes but in the wild they have much less access to the flat surfaces we ask them to stand on. I have never trimmed nails thinking "these are sharp for me". I trim nails when looking at them flat footed the nail is interfering with them being able to stand flat. Often with a macaw, the toe will lean over if they are too long and standing flat. Volar was MUCH happier after his trim... not during but after he was zooming down my table with extra speed. :D

@Macawnutz He definitely looks slightly different from a blue and gold, in person especially. He has kind of a very muted gold sheen all over when the light hits and his green on his head is also just a little different from a full b and g. Almost like it has mustard color mixed in instead of a vibrant green.

I do wonder what his parents looked like. Bowser is his own kind of macaw :D and it’d be nice to have a reference.

He took a few slivers and nibbles from the hardwood rings, but he hasn’t destroyed one yet. He likes to play with them sliding them up and down chain. For now he’s still all about pine and his newly discovered love for corks :joyful:.

It is odd coloring, in every hybrid mix that color tends to increase not decrease. I've seen one or two catalinas that seemed slightly washed out or faded. Truthfully I figured it was diet related but maybe not. Out of curiosity do you give him any RPO? Wonder if giving him daily RPO during his next molt would give us more of a hint to his exact species. His belly is almost mutation yellow and other than the buff beak I see nothing but perfect BG coloring. The only hint you may get is like you said, the gleam in the sunlight or the underneath of his long feathers. Every species of macaw have different under feather coloring. I can tell Volar from Korbel just by looking at molted feathers from the bottom. It's the shine they give. :)

What were we guessing Lisa? Catablu? That's my guess now that he is grown up and handsome. :heart2:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Often with a macaw, the toe will lean over if they are too long and standing flat.
That is because they don't get exercise enough in their feet. You never see wild macaws toes lean over when they are what we think to long. You can see that in the video I posted.

Their claws should be long and sharp.
When we trim them we make it bad for them. Some loose confidence and
climbing less and less and that will only make them weaker in their feet.
And once you have started to trim them you must continue because as you say, they will lean over to a flat surface.

I have seen so bad trim so I call them amputation. That bird can't climb at all both because of pain and because their nails are so short and not sharp anymore.
That's why I say that better to not trim them, (and create a problem that isn't their yet) or to do it often and only take off the tip.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That is because they don't get exercise enough in their feet. You never see wild macaws toes lean over when they are what we think to long. You can see that in the video I posted.

Their claws should be long and sharp.
When we trim them we make it bad for them. Some loose confidence and
climbing less and less and that will only make them weaker in their feet.
And once you have started to trim them you must continue because as you say, they will lean over to a flat surface.

I have seen so bad trim so I call them amputation. That bird can't climb at all both because of pain and because their nails are so short and not sharp anymore.
That's why I say that better to not trim them, (and create a problem that isn't their yet) or to do it often and only take off the tip.

First, I can barely see any toes in that video enough to judge how long they are but they don't seem overly long to me. I see lots of banana and messy faces. :D
Second we are comparing wild macaws VS a home companion macaw. Wild macaws fly miles and miles a day landing on rough tree branches and rock faces. Even with the strong flyers in my flock I don't have a way to simulate that environment. Java trees, atoms, boings and the like are not aiding in keeping my macaws nails in check. Even if I added a rock climbing wall there are few that would land on it. :laugh:

Unlike smaller flighted birds Eloy, macaws are often rather lazy. The macaws I raised from babies are accomplished flyers/movers but my rehomes are bumps on a log. I have to push them and give reason to get a reasonable activity level. With that being said, an abundance of food and a lack of motivation does cause crippling overgrowth in macaws. I'm sure you remember Lenny, we all know that would never had happened in the wild. I've seen dozens of macaws have crippling curvature from lack of proper maintenance and none so short it is doing damage. ( they should not bleed if trimmed properly )

I assure you my flock has zero lack of confidence. In my environment a length that allows them to stand flat is better than a length that does not. I wish that I took pictures of Volar before I trimmed him now but I'll look at them today and see if I can snap a picture or two to help my point. I really could go on and on defending the physical and medical side of this but I like you Eloy. :p We may have to agree to disagree as I know you are not one to change your mind. My opinion is not based on cosmetic appearance or what damage nails will do to exposed skin. My opinion is based on the comfort of the bird in the environment that we provide for them... and of course, this is my opinion.... I have never claimed to be bird god. ;)

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@Macawnutz He does get RPO mixed in with his bread. :) His diet is pretty well rounded with lots of fresh goodies but I can always up the rpo a bit and see if that has any affect on coloring.

Yes! You were the first to say Catablu and that’s what the vet has agreed on too so I’m going with it :p. My husband and I call him a Bowser blend. :heart: