• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cheeks is ill

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I don't know how to even start this thread... Cheeks is your more laid back budgie hes always been a little more timid than the others. So him taking a nap or just chilling on a perch preening his feathers is nothing out of the ordinary.

However I have noticed some odd behaviour. He has become increasingly weaker in flying, walking and perching. So much that he finds it difficult to get food and often flies into the cage bars or falls onto the lower perches or floor. He has stopped singing/preening altogether and doesn't even call to his mate (he's in a hospital cage). He's lost interest in eating fresh food and will often just sit on his food bowl eating pellets. He sleeps a lot and will often be puffed up and is lethargic. He also wing twitches as well.

I can't get a vet appointment till tomorrow so he'll be going as soon as I can get him in. Anyone know what this sounds like or could possibly be? Is there anything I should ask the vet to do test wise? (they do have experience with birds but because its Christmas eve they may only have emergency staff on).

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Okay, I have him partially covered to keep him calm and my bedroom is the warmest room in the house. Thank you, I hope so too!
Just try to keep him warm and hydrated till you see the vet. Hope hes gonna be ok.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am keeping Cheeks in my thoughts. I hope the little guy will be okay. Make sure your car is nice and toasty when you take him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope he will be okay! Sending healing thoughts his way.

Reactions: Jas

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sending best wishes for Cheeks❤

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good you could get him in quickly. Hopefully he will be up to mischief soon.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Prayers for a fast recovery.
Feel better soon Cheeks!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
So cheeks is a little more active than he was, still a little wobbly but other than that he seems to be improving everyday. He bit me today :dance4: (doesn't seem like a good thing but he's getting some fight back, he even tweeted).

He even started nibbling his mineral block and cuttlefish:hug8:.