• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Checking eggs and not sure what this means?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
So, I took away Triss' nest today, and I'm confused. I just wanted to make sure none were fertile, and one I picked up looks half empty, and makes this strange rolling/grinding noise when moved? There is no sign of a chick, so what could be causing this?????

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well when eggs are fertile the air chamber increases?(? Because I am not sure I remember correctly) Have you tried putting a light underneath it? I go into the bathroom and use the flashlight from my phone, because of the phone case it is perfect. If you see veins, it is fertile.

@finchly @Monica @melissasparrots might be able to give better advice.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Well when eggs are fertile the air chamber increases?(? Because I am not sure I remember correctly) Have you tried putting a light underneath it? I go into the bathroom and use the flashlight from my phone, because of the phone case it is perfect. If you see veins, it is fertile.

@finchly @Monica @melissasparrots might be able to give better advice.
I've done that and it appears to be empty. The liquid inside is half-drained as well. I'm just really confused by the noises.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I've done that and it appears to be empty. The liquid inside is half-drained as well. I'm just really confused by the noises.
I might be mistaken, but I think the noise can be because the egg is older and has started to rot?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ohhh, maybe? I didn't think about that. It has hairline cracks as well.
Hmm then I think that is the case! I Don’t remember where I heard it, but I think my grandma told me to softly shake an egg and when it Made noise it wan’t edible. I also think that last summer when Pippin(duck) was on eggs, I Made sure they couldn’t hatch. But then one egg showed cracks. I thought oh no did I make a mistake? I let it be, there was nothing I could do if there was actually a baby hatching. The next morning that egg had exploded and Pippin was all dirty:shy::lol: You might want to move it quickly:embarassed:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's cracked half the liquid probably dried up and is making the noise

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If it's cracked half the liquid probably dried up and is making the noise
Ah, I didn't think it was cracked badly enough for that to happen. I think I'll hold onto the other three just in case she starts acting nesty again and chuck that one.

They should keep for a while if I freeze them, right?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whatever is left in the egg will eventually dry up and disintegrate into a powder. Sometimes it can dry up into a small nugget that sounds like a little pebble rolling around inside.