• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Checkers is at the vet, keep him in your prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
For those that dont know: (copied from the internet)

Signs of PDD
“There are no symptoms that are specific to PDD. The symptoms are generalized and diagnosis is difficult,” said Dr. Greg Burkett, DVM, of the Birdie Boutique in North Carolina. While difficult to diagnose, common clinical signs of PDD include:
  • Massive weight loss (even if your bird appears to have a healthy appetite)
  • Undigested food in its droppings, crop impaction and regurgitation.
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of balance
  • Paralysis
  • Seizures
  • Ataxia (loss of coordination of muscles; your bird may have difficulty perching)
Some signs are species-specific, according to Burkett. “In African greys I see polyuria and polydypsia; which means they pass large amounts of urine (the liquid part of the droppings) and they drink large amounts of water.”
If you see any of these signs in your bird, take it to an avian veterinarian immediately. In determining if a bird has PDD, Burkett said, “A vet needs to look at diagnostics such as radiographs, clinical symptoms and possibly, a crop biopsy.”
How To Prevent PDD
PDD is a disease that can spread and affect other birds that are exposed to it. Knowledge is crucial, so speak to your avian veterinarian about PDD on your bird’s next checkup. Know what signs to look for, and weigh your bird every day to make sure it is the ideal weight. If you get a new bird, quarantine it for 30 days from your other birds to lessen the risk of exposure to PDD. If you go to a bird meeting where other parrots are present, be well aware of the risk of your bird being exposed to PDD, or any other illness.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear he is doing better,praying he is back to his old self in no time. :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
:yah: Oh I'm sooo happy to hear that sweet little Checkers is doing better.. Sending over healing vibes for a speedy recovery.. :hug8:

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
glad to know everything is getting better for you!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm relieved to hear there is some good news. I hope Checkers continue to improve. I know your anxious to have him home again. :hug8:

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Glad Checkers is doing better. You and hubby will work things out. Finances and bills can put a lot of stress on a marriage because you have to pick and choose priorities and sometimes both parties don't agree on what is priority over what, but I'm sure in the long run you both will work it out.

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
As someone who has dealt with the worst in finances in a marriage - I will send you strength because IT SUCKS!!!! :hug8::hug8:

I'm glad to see your little Checkers is getting better!!!!

~Ann~

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
oh no!! Hugs for Checkers!!! and you!!! :hug8:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I just got off the phone with my vet a bit ago, and as soon as my husband gets here we will get to go pick him up and bring him home along with some medicine. As soon as I get back tonight I will give everyone an update as to what the vet says. :hug8: Everyone. He isn't completely better yet but the vet thinks that everything she is doing at the clinic can now be done at home.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
This is good news! Sending Healing energy for him at home!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:hug8: for you and Checkers, Angela :heart:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's good news. Hopefully you can get a handle on it before you have to leave.

Last edited:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great to hear, Angela.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Glad to hear that Checkers got to go home.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
gld to hear he is ok!

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
:dance4::dance4:

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
Hugs to and your sweet little birdie. I hope he makes a full recovery quickly!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
FINAL UPDATE

Okay, I am sorry I didn't make it back on the forum to update everyone on Checker's condition, the closer it gets to my ship date the more running around I am having to do. For instance, today I have to work out, clean the house, go to the bank to open a new account, go by my recruiters office, meet the pet sitter, work out again, finish some Amry prep work, and meet my in laws for our last dinner all together before I leave.

Checkers did get to come home Tuesday night and is on a couple of medications and 2x handfeedings a day to get his weight back up. He is being treated for a bacterial infection, and my vet said that at this time she is not seeing enough symptoms to classify this as PDD. After asking how he could have gotten the infection she said it could have been everything from stress to a reaction to us moving and then me leaving for almost a week for my trip to Vegas. He is going back to the vet next Saturday, which my husband will have to do in order to get him treated since I will not be here. Checkers is currently at 145 grams, which is on the low side of a good caique weight and still about a good 15 grams from what he normally weighs. He is eating on his own, although since being with the vet he is a little more choosy as to what he eats. (She was feeding a high fat, high fiber diet and we are continuing that at home for the time being- with lots of nuts, etc. so he has gotten spoiled.) He definitely feels better, when I tried to towel him last night on the floor he was giving it his best to hop away, and I haven't seen the infamous caique hop since he has been ill. Hopefully he continues to do well.

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts!!!! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.