1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

Discussion in 'Quaker Causeway' started by CrazyBirdChick, 2/24/17.

1. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Diane
    Yep. Sometimes it takes him a while to start again but I'm sure he will. I like when it's all nice and clean for a bit too. Plus, I get my sweetie poof back ;)

JLcribber and Hjarta5 like this.
  2. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Diane
    Today is first day in probably a little over a month that he's sitting in front of the window and doing his evening ritual of talking and singing his favorite phrases over and over. And he's eating so well. Looking so relaxed. It's almost as if without the nest he can take time to enjoy life and himself.

When he's building it seems almost as if it's kind of stressful. He's constantly going back and forth gathering materials, weaving them, making sure they're in right, barely taking time to eat, then he's always on alert so that he can attack would be intruders (AKA me, lol)

I know he enjoys building to an extent but I wonder if maybe letting the nest get so big might be a bad thing?

3. cnyguy

cnyguy Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Gary
    You could try limiting the materials Blu has to build with and see what happens. He may get frustrated because he can't finish his nest, or he may just shrug it off. That seems probable, since he didn't object to having his nest taken down.

CrazyBirdChick likes this.
  4. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    That's a good idea, Gary, thanks! I will see how that goes! I usually give him anywhere between like 25-40 a day and I didn't really think that was that many. But maybe it is too many.I just worry that since that's all really likes to do he might get bored if he doesn't have enough. But I'll definitely see how that goes! Thank you!!

5. cnyguy

Gary
    No guarantee that it will work with Blu, but you could let him build a little, then pull his structure apart so he can start over. As you know, that's the way Ralph wants to do it, but it would be a new experience for Blu. If it works, it will keep Blu (and you) busy for hours. :D

6. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    I have to admit, I was a pushover today and left him with like 40 pieces again. I don't know why. I just felt like I had to!
    :o:

He was a very busy little man

20190812_204659.jpg
    This is all one day's work!

He ate well today though and he's being ok about not being too possessive... yet. I'm debating about when I should take it down and let him start over.

I don't even know why I always feel so bad about taking it down knowing that he doesn't even care that much after the fact! :lol:

I'm not sure if I should take it down daily or wait till he gets slightly out of control?

Lodah likes this.
  7. Hawk12237

Hawk12237 Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Michael
    oh that's interesting! Can I hire him ? I have a new addition I need to put on.

8. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Sure! You can put a Quaker to work! Just keep a steady supply of band aids around :giggle:

9. cnyguy

Gary
    I have to take Ralph's projects apart twenty or thirty times a day so he can start all over again. I'd give him more sticks to build with, but if there are more than he wants, he'll push the extra ones out onto the floor. I can't imagine Blu doing that. :D I suppose that you can just take his nests apart whenever he uses up all the materials you've allowed him, and give the building materials back to him when you're ready to.

10. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Ralph just sounds so fun! :)
    That is a great idea, Gary, thank you again! It would definitely save me money too! Those tri poly ropes are not cheap. Lol.

The only thing that's hard about taking it down daily is that I don't want him to see me doing it, and I don't have someone here all the time to take him away. I'd hate to put him in a cage just to bring him back to a demolished project. I fear he'd start associating the cage with bad things. I'll have to figure out a way to get him to not see me doing it:hmmm:

cnyguy likes this.
  11. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    2 days worth of work.
    20190813_231158.jpg
    He's getting so good at it. It used to take days to get this much done

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)