• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Yep. Sometimes it takes him a while to start again but I'm sure he will. I like when it's all nice and clean for a bit too. Plus, I get my sweetie poof back ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Today is first day in probably a little over a month that he's sitting in front of the window and doing his evening ritual of talking and singing his favorite phrases over and over. And he's eating so well. Looking so relaxed. It's almost as if without the nest he can take time to enjoy life and himself.

When he's building it seems almost as if it's kind of stressful. He's constantly going back and forth gathering materials, weaving them, making sure they're in right, barely taking time to eat, then he's always on alert so that he can attack would be intruders (aka me, lol)

I know he enjoys building to an extent but I wonder if maybe letting the nest get so big might be a bad thing?

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
You could try limiting the materials Blu has to build with and see what happens. He may get frustrated because he can't finish his nest, or he may just shrug it off. That seems probable, since he didn't object to having his nest taken down.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You could try limiting the materials Blu has to build with and see what happens. He may get frustrated because he can't finish his nest, or he may just shrug it off. That seems probable, since he didn't object to having his nest taken down.
That's a good idea, Gary, thanks! I will see how that goes! I usually give him anywhere between like 25-40 a day and I didn't really think that was that many. But maybe it is too many.I just worry that since that's all really likes to do he might get bored if he doesn't have enough. But I'll definitely see how that goes! Thank you!!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
No guarantee that it will work with Blu, but you could let him build a little, then pull his structure apart so he can start over. As you know, that's the way Ralph wants to do it, but it would be a new experience for Blu. If it works, it will keep Blu (and you) busy for hours. :D

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
No guarantee that it will work with Blu, but you could let him build a little, then pull his structure apart so he can start over. As you know, that's the way Ralph wants to do it, but it would be a new experience for Blu. If it works, it will keep Blu (and you) busy for hours. :D
I have to admit, I was a pushover today and left him with like 40 pieces again. I don't know why. I just felt like I had to!
:o:

He was a very busy little man

20190812_204659.jpg
This is all one day's work!

He ate well today though and he's being ok about not being too possessive... yet. I'm debating about when I should take it down and let him start over.

I don't even know why I always feel so bad about taking it down knowing that he doesn't even care that much after the fact! :lol:

I'm not sure if I should take it down daily or wait till he gets slightly out of control?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes, I've seen Sparky before! He's very impressive! He's not your bird, is he?
oh that's interesting! Can I hire him ? I have a new addition I need to put on.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I have to take Ralph's projects apart twenty or thirty times a day so he can start all over again. I'd give him more sticks to build with, but if there are more than he wants, he'll push the extra ones out onto the floor. I can't imagine Blu doing that. :D I suppose that you can just take his nests apart whenever he uses up all the materials you've allowed him, and give the building materials back to him when you're ready to.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have to take Ralph's projects apart twenty or thirty times a day so he can start all over again. I'd give him more sticks to build with, but if there are more than he wants, he'll push the extra ones out onto the floor. I can't imagine Blu doing that. :D I suppose that you can just take his nests apart whenever he uses up all the materials you've allowed him, and give the building materials back to him when you're ready to.
Ralph just sounds so fun! :)
That is a great idea, Gary, thank you again! It would definitely save me money too! Those tri poly ropes are not cheap. Lol.

The only thing that's hard about taking it down daily is that I don't want him to see me doing it, and I don't have someone here all the time to take him away. I'd hate to put him in a cage just to bring him back to a demolished project. I fear he'd start associating the cage with bad things. I'll have to figure out a way to get him to not see me doing it:hmmm:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think it's only been 11 days since this one began!

20190822_210608.jpg 20190822_210614.jpg 20190822_210633.jpg

He's been dive bombing me and being being full blown obsessed again. For the past two nights he's slept in there too. That's the thing I don't really like that much. I just feel safer when he sleeps in his open cage for some reason. It may have to come down this weekend if I can get some help with keeping him distracted.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
That is mighty impressive!!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is really cool!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Such a master craftsman. Sorry he gets so territorial with his construction.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's incredible! Angel did some construction of his own. Notice the wall! I guess I need to get more toys! Lol
IMG_20190820_135940.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's incredible! Angel did some construction of his own. Notice the wall! I guess I need to get more toys! Lol
View attachment 313507
:giggle:

You can never get at that cute yellow face though I'm sorry that happened!

Blu chewed up a little of the door frame a while back too, though I think he's forgotten about it at this point in time.

My first Quaker who passed did most of the handywork there and I guess it encouraged Blu to engrave it up a bit too. :rolleyes:

20190425_212736.jpg

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Such a master craftsman. Sorry he gets so territorial with his construction.
Thank you! Today he's even more territorial and I actually had to convince him to come downstairs with me, which never happens cause he's always such a velcro bird. The good thing is that even though he's angry and bitey, he really tries not to harm me as much as he used to. He bites but not as hard as he's capable of doing. And it's somewhat easy to tell him to be nice and he'll fly off and go back to work. He just can't help himself. Lol!