• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Charlie's future play stand

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
DF86B53D-2D54-4C1F-A502-389D9D1B5E98.jpeg
Finished my plan! What do you guys think? Let me know if you spot a mistake! Pied is french for a foot, by the way. Feel free to use this design, it's basically a mish mash of other designs I found on the web, haha. N
ow its time to go get my materials and start building when I can, I'm excited! :) I'll keep you guys updated!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks good but do you want all the activity on the top? You could move the swing down to the lower section.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love our PVC cutter. It's nothing fancy and we don't use it often, but it is really handy when we do need it. Beats the heck outta sawing!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
That looks good but do you want all the activity on the top? You could move the swing down to the lower section.
The thing is I'm gonna place it between the sofa and the wall so the play area needs to be elevated! But perhaps I could try that out

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
PVC cutter is totally worth it. We got ours for 15$, best money we ever spent.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
So I went to the hardware store today to check out my future supplies! Modified my plan a little, too. Does these materials look good and safe? Especially the rope, it doesn't look treated at all and says "natural" but I wanted to get a second opinion. The jute rope would be for hanging toys, not climbing lol. Also, does anyone have experience with this kind of pvc cutter, or do you use the "spin-around" type? Which is best? I'm afraid of not having enough strenght in my hands, haha! @faislaq @taxidermynerd Thank you for your help! :)

Attachments

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Eloy .
Isn't cotton more likely to have an entrapment issue? I prefer hemp twine may take a little longer to wrap because it's so thin,( @ least what I just purchased ) but Buddy can only get caught w/ it if it unravels or if he starts chewing it (which he prefers toys over all chewing).

@sparklepupp .
Smell the bundle of twine. If it smells chemically take it back & get your money back. There have been many posts here about hardware store twines smelling off (not like hay/dried grass) like plastic burning, chemicals being the top of the list. If it smells like chemicals I believe it was (pesticides) on it. Top keep bugs off of it & to keep them from consuming. These pesticides can harm, even kill your fid. I know you :heart: him/her. You wouldn't be building that cool playgym otherwise!

:gbh:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Thank you for the tips!! @Rain Bow No matter which rope I use I'll always supervise Charlie and inspect the rope regularly. Should the twine be fine if it doesn't smell chemical-y or plastic-y? Just want to make sure, yes I sure do love my Charlie boy!!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Uh oh... it does smell a bit like plastic :( @Rain Bow Thank gosh you let me know! Now what shall I do with it instead, hmmm... Might take it back but I don't know if they'll accept it since I had to open it. Anyhow, theres "Les jouets Rosie" (a toy maker and shop for parrots) in my area and they sell sisal & cotton rope so I'll go check them out :) I've been wanting to go to get more toys for Charlie anyways

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, from all my investigating & reading here, you coulda used it if it didn't smell. Most natural twines have been sprayed.

@JLcribber purchases his manilla rope from knots & rope. Maybe he can post a link. I can't find it quickly right now. He'd be one to explain what to look for better than I. Johns great for information to keep any feather baby safe!

I've been making my toys, there have been to many fids almost getting hurt on the stuff you can buy in stores. If I can't or couldn't make something, I'd purchase from a group vendor I trust their opinions & safety measures @ a level I'm comfortable with.

Any toy/item can be dangerous though. Especially when their not watched. I worry most about cotton rope. Buddy made it 20+ yrs playing w/ those store toys, but I just don't let him have them anymore.

Good luck, I hope John can maybe give you a better idea as to what to specifically watch for & the webpage has manilla rope I believe @ 1/4" thick. If I make Buddy a playgym, I'd buy that to wrap it in. It may cost a little to purchase. I think it'd be worth it in the end as you can clean & disinfectant it & it's a safer bet so if you walk outta the room, Charlie won't be hanging by a toe when you walk back in.

:gbh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No matter which rope I use I'll always supervise Charlie and inspect the rope regularly.
All rope toys should always be used outside cage and as you say inspected regularly.

I will say that all toys are in some way dangerous to them.
The worst damage I seen lately for what you can think of is a pretty safe toy is made by a paper roll.
This is @BertAllen Grey, Tinker.

:smuggrin: He did knock himself pretty hard. I love that playful young Grey! :D Here is Tinkers thread: Well Tinker is home | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
All rope toys should always be used outside cage and as you say inspected regularly.

I will say that all toys are in some way dangerous to them.
The worst damage I seen lately for what you can think of is a pretty safe toy is made by a paper roll.
This is @BertAllen Grey, Tinker.

:smuggrin: He did knock himself pretty hard. I love that playful young Grey! :D Here is Tinkers thread: Well Tinker is home | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Aww Tinker is adorable!! Thank you for sharing :D