• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Charlie had a bunch of wet sneezes

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Sooo I had been hanging out with him in the basement which is the driest room in the house due to heating and Charlie started scratching his nares and wet sneezing for a few minutes, never seen him do this before, his sneezes are usually dry. I thought it might be the lack of humidity (?) so I brought him upstairs and noticed he had some king of "booger" stuck right at the rim of his left nare. I wiped it gently with a tissue and it came out, and since then he only sneezed once (seemingly dry) and scratched 4 times, which is way less than before I removed the "booger".
IMG_6805.jpg
Should I be concerned that he may be ill or does it sound like a one time issue? For context, he hurt himself a little bit between his nares a few weeks ago by flying into a window (it is healed now), and due to his immune system being increasingly alert due to that he started having a bit of gunk in his nares. I'm thinking it might be the old gunk wanting out, lol. What do you guys think? He has a vet appt in the beginning of february for a checkup, can it wait until then? He is his usual self and everything, I'll def keep an eye on him though

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I'd move up the appointment. Wet sneezing usually means there's something wrong, like an infection. I wouldn't say this is an emergency so don't sweat it if you can't get him in right away. But that sooner you get him in the better

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Personally I'd move up the appointment. Wet sneezing usually means there's something wrong, like an infection. I wouldn't say this is an emergency so don't sweat it if you can't get him in right away. But that sooner you get him in the better
My mom is the one who pays for vet care (I don't have a steady job yet as I'm 18 and a student) so it's a bit complicated to move it up due to our conflicting schedules but I will definitely try my best to talk to her about moving it up! Thank you for your input, I really hope nothing is wrong :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i am having the same problem and the vet said to hold off on antibiotics if the discharge is clear and he's not acting sick. She thinks it's allergies since he has wet nares year round with spells of sneezing for which he has previously gone on antibiotics. for allergies she has antihistamine which makes the bird really sleepy so i nixed that.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
i am having the same problem and the vet said to hold off on antibiotics if the discharge is clear and he's not acting sick. She thinks it's allergies since he has wet nares year round with spells of sneezing for which he has previously gone on antibiotics. for allergies she has antihistamine which makes the bird really sleepy so i nixed that.
Hmmmm interesting :chin:Thank you for your input, I know resistance to antibiotics can be an issue so I'll see what the vet says!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's just a scheduling issue, would your mom be willing to call in to pay while you take him to the vet? I often do this because my best friend works from home and can take my birds in when I can't.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
If it's just a scheduling issue, would your mom be willing to call in to pay while you take him to the vet? I often do this because my best friend works from home and can take my birds in when I can't.
That's a good idea :0 I'll see what I can do!!