• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Change in poop color?

Duel

Walking the driveway
So recently I took Snick to the vet due to his overgrown beak and after clipping off the extra beak part I was told to switch him from a seed diet to a pellet diet. He immediately took a liking to it and switched over without a problem. Now his poop has gone from a dark green to a very light one and is much bigger than before. Is this normal or what is it?
P.S. He just became 7 months yesterday 0322190129.jpg

Duel

Walking the driveway
Something else I forgot to mention, the vet told me I'll know he's growing knew wings when he gets a bloodfeather. Will the feather that I need to remove stand out or be hidden?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awww he´s lovely!!!!!

Poops will change when diet changes. Do you also offer vegetables?

the vet told me I'll know he's growing knew wings when he gets a bloodfeather. Will the feather that I need to remove stand out or be hidden?
Remove? Why?
Snick looks clipped in the picture, so are you going to let him grow his wings?

You will know which are flight feathers as they will grow out long, I think yours will be a light creamy white sort of colour.

If you look at some recent videos of Loki @DoubleTake s lovebird, she has a wing feather growing back, and you can see how it stands out. I´ll post a clip in a sec.

I don´t want to tell you what to do. You can do whatever you like, and I won´t think less of you or dislike you... But please at least consider not clipping your bird when those feathers grow back in.

I love, love, love! letting my birds out and watching them fly around my house, they are just so beautiful and elegant :)

Last edited:

Duel

Walking the driveway
I want him to grow his wings. What I meant was when he starts bleeding wouldn't it be because there's an old feather in the way of a new feather that needs to be removed? Or what should I do when he starts bleeding? That's my question, not clipping his wings.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ah ok.

No, the old feathers will just fall out on their own. Think of it like your hair. New ones grow and old one fall.

Bleeding is not normal. They are called blood feathers because blood runs through them, but it will stop flowing through before it is shed. You should be finding clean feathers.

He will drop a few feathers each time he molts. The number can vary, but he won´t drop all the feathers, that may take some time.
The other thing is they usually drop in twos - one from each side. It helps the bird maintain balance.

If you notice bleeding, or blood on a feather you will have to inspect Snick well. Blood feathers can break and if that happens, it is important to find where the feather broke, apply some cornstarch to help clot. If you do this and bleeding persists, a vet visit is required. Don´t just pull feathers out on a whim. Try the cornstarch first and moniter him closely. Broken blood feathers is not related to molting, they can happen whenever.

PS: I like to collect feathers, especially flight feathers :)

Duel

Walking the driveway
About the vegetables, I haven't offered him any yet but I he does accept rice, sunflower seeds, almonds, and pistachio so far. He doesn't seem to like grapes or apples. Thinking of trying bananas or oranges next.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Haha no - that would take years. I collect flight feathers, other large feathers (from back and tail) and large down. The rest goes up the hoover or is stuck to the dog.
I collect the large down to fill a christmas bauble I have :)

Lovebirds prefer vegetables over fruit - not all, but most.
Remember fruit is full of sugar so give in moderation. You may have more luck with banana. or mango.

I hear wild rice (and maybe brown? but I´m not sure) is what birds eat, not white rice.

Try broccoli, sweet potatoes, green beans, kale, peppers, cauliflower, carrots, peas.

Have you tried sprouting? Did I say mine love sprouted lentils?
This is a great link to read and save:
Some general info on sprouting .. thought it might be helpful | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Duel

Walking the driveway
Not white rice? That's the only rice he would eat. He doesn't like the other kinds, guess I have a weird one.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don´t think so, but like I said, I don´t know, that´s why I haven´t given it to my birds.

I find out first if it´s ok to give the birds. And sometimes I can´t find a good answer, like with tomatoes. Peoples opinions are so all over the place that I decided not to give them to my birds at all.

Maybe you could ask in Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I´m sure a member here will know.

Just an FYI, Avocados and all alliums are big no nos

Edit:

¨Healthy foods that meet your bird's carbohydrates requirements include whole-wheat bread, whole-grain or spinach pasta, and brown rice. White bread and white rice are OK to give your bird occasionally, as a treat, but they are not going to offer a lot in the way of nutrition.¨

So it seems white rice is ok in moderation, but it´s not nutritional