• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chamomile tea for the birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

girltropical

Moving in
HI all
i have a 16 year old very sassy but sweet and adorable loveable sunday conure.
she is my love of my life and has saved my life. she discovered and alerted me to cancer i had, and she sleeps on my throat or heart and will wake me if i start hypoventilating.
we are very bonded and connect mentally, she poops in her cage or sink, and eats organic food with me every day. her seeds are also organic.
i feed her safflower seeds, oats and groats, nice seed sticks, fruit, veggies, and whatever i eat is part of her diet, and she LOVES my cooking. LOL. when i get my food ready she flies to my plate to pick her portion and eat with me. she does not get avacado, kiwi or chocolate. she knows they are "CACA". she understands and walks away and finds another choice. she drinks green tea with me, white tea, she LOVES milk and ice cream!. always has. and has a FIT if she cannot have some.
the one problem which i just must get control over is her screaming. she is verbal. her screaming is not too bad but if i leave the room i have to take her with me or call to her when she calls me and then she flies to me. very primal behavior. in fact, after my hysterectomy, and since the little papillon, my pup, is spayed, the bird laid me two eggs a few weeks later. after 12 years of never showing signs of being a female. i figured out that she became the alpha female when i could no longer "lay eggs" for this flock and she produced her eggs for me. i thanked her and told her that i dubbed her the alpha female. i also asked her not to make anymore eggs as i love her and do not want her to become eggbound and die on me. she has not laid anymore eggs and it has been 6 years. but the screaming, i must stop that behavior. :eek:
i see you recommend a few herbs. i want something that is natural and will definitely make her quieter and calmer especially when i am out. she is usually quiet while i am out but if someone comes near my house she will scream. i record her while i am gone. she is getting more hyper as she gets older. by the way, i do not give her sunflower seeds, ever. AND it is just me, her and the female papillon little dollbaby dog. they too are bonded and love each other. i have a quiet home, very holistic and zen. calm is how i live. i do not work anymore, but she worked with me in my psychotherapy office, she was a working bird.
please, what will be the very best way to really make a difference in her screaming when i am out or when i go in th yard, or when i leave the room. i have to quiet her down, it is getting serious. :omg:
complaints will start if i do not. :( i would just be heartbroken if i had to get rid of her, which i cannot do. she sleeps with mer for her entire life and is used to lots of affection and love and interaction.:heart: she would die if i left her. trust me. i saw what my trips to the hospital did to her, in just two day surgeries.
thank you for helping.

Last edited:

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Wow I'm goin to try this for my Zoey. She gets hyper at times and she's a bit of a feather chewer. I got the whole family drinking green tea. We drink it hot, cold, both my girls love it.

Try the green tea citrus, this is our fave.

girltropical

Moving in
what else can i use to calm my conure down. we had a tough few years, my 3 trips to the hospital for surgery with cancer, hernia and a seroma repair. then hurricane wilma destroyed our domicile, then we moved from my home, florida, to carolinas, horrible time, two years of misery. moved twice up there. then home. now a psycho lives next door who torments me for 3 years now, and bird hears him and is getting very scared and agitated. please, i need a stronger calmative.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
well, just a suggestion since a stiff drink is not an option (lol) sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying. But maybe try some nice relaxing music. My birds seem to like music. The white dove will seem to sing along. The canary sings at the top of his lungs and my conure seems to enjoy it as well. I'm sure whatever music you like, your conure will enjoy too. Music therapy might be good for both of you and you can listen while you enjoy your chamomile tea.

MBS

Jogging around the block
what else can i use to calm my conure down. we had a tough few years, my 3 trips to the hospital for surgery with cancer, hernia and a seroma repair. then hurricane wilma destroyed our domicile, then we moved from my home, florida, to carolinas, horrible time, two years of misery. moved twice up there. then home. now a psycho lives next door who torments me for 3 years now, and bird hears him and is getting very scared and agitated. please, i need a stronger calmative.

Maybe you can try Avi-Calm form Avitec.com. I heard great things about it. It has things from green tea in it, but in stronger doses. It's really made for feather pickers, but it's for all birds that need to calm down. I haven't used it because my birds don't have these issues, but I have used their other supplements and I like them.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Its funny. After reading this post I got my Bird Talk in the mail. If you go to page 28 there is an article entitled Tea Time by Patricia Sund and Jason Crean. Very good article.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
i tried this with duckie tonight for the first time....she loved it right off the bat. she took 4 big gulps of it, but that was it. i'm not sure if that is enough to affect her, but right after that she was grinding her beak, and shortly after went to sleep. i'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but i'm going to try it tomorrow as well.

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
I had no idea you can give them tea. Jack sometimes drinks mine when I place it down all stelthy like... and I always flip out alittle. interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.