• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceres for those interested

D

Deleted member 29421

Throat spots have nothing to do with sex, mostly mutation and selective breeding.

What I meant was, I thought the development of the spots were supposed to help you figure out if they were youngsters or adults or at least past a certain age. :unsure1:

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
You may want to become familiar with the anatomy of a budgie.

View attachment 290289
It appears this chart is missing "Floofage" :toofunny: Thank you for the handy picture however. This is our first bird and all info is helpful. The Vet showed me her/his ears, the keel bone, the oil gland above the tail, and what healthy feet look like (her feet are healthy).

Sparkles83221

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
How long does it takes for them to mature? I was told I was getting two boys and one is very obviously a boy but the other is looking like it could go either way. .

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
How long does it takes for them to mature? I was told I was getting two boys and one is very obviously a boy but the other is looking like it could go either way. .

They are usually mature around 6-8 months of age.

If you can post a pic of your two birds, we can help identify their sex.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Budgies can be sexed from the first day they hatch and definitely by the time they leave the nest.

@EnglishBudgMom your bird is a male under 4 months of age. It has dark eyes, a purple cere and forehead bars, and the generally soft appearance of a bird before its juvenile molt.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies can be sexed from the first day they hatch

If a budgie is baby the gender identification is not always accurate. This happened to me with Mickey. Breeder was very experienced and had a 95% successful rate of early gender ID of his babies. My Mickey did look male for the first several months until first molt and then she was clearly female because cere went from blue to white. He actually gave me a partial refund because I wanted 2 males.

Serin

From the photo of her as a baby, I can tell that's a hen and not a cock. It's a darker than the average female cere, but the clear white nostril outline is more prominent than I have ever seen in a male chick, and the cere is dark but it's a greyish color whereas the male has a brighter purple cere.

I have not yet sexed a budgie wrong. It could happen, but I so far have not found one that throws me for a curve yet.

Serin

1st picture is female and third pictures are female, and fourth is a male. I need a better photograph of two. It looks pink, so I'd suspect male, but in this photo it's also looking very pale - more than I've ever seen in a male - but it may be just due to the bright lighting coming from the right.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can anyone tell me the genders of my last 3? I know Kiwi (first pic) is female. I thought Lemon and Juniper were boys (2nd and 3rd pic), and that Cloudberry was a girl (4th pic), but now I'm not so sure.

From what I can tell

Kiwi - Female
Lemon - Female
Juniper - Female
Cloudberry - Male

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Can I get some thoughts on Cereal? My guess is female, but I'd like a second opinion.
upload_2018-12-11_23-45-9.png

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies can be sexed from the first day they hatch

Yes they can but not accurately.

There is much white on that cere so first guess is female but maturity may change it a bit.

tbutton

Moving in
Hello, everyone. I am a new budgie owner, and I'm still trying to understand all the information about sexing them. Any help with what genders my two budgie babies are?

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hello, everyone. I am a new budgie owner, and I'm still trying to understand all the information about sexing them. Any help with what genders my two budgie babies are?
Green is definitely a hen, violet looks to possibly be a hen as well. If the cere is really pink, then male, but it looks more white-ish, so I'm leaning towards hen.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Female SF Spangle @13 weeks:
_20190301_154820.JPG

Male Recessive Pied @ 26weeks:
_20190403_132739.JPG

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My young female Nova is about 10 month old now and got that tan ceres. It is not crusty, does it mean she is mature but not broody? She is also molting, does this has anything to do with that?
Someone told me my male Merlin was Spangle violet. It is correct? And what color is Nova?

Nova.jpg Nova back.jpg Merlin.jpg