• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceres for those interested

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The bird on the right is definitely female. The other one may also be female because the cere is not a consistent bright blue.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

JayCam33

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie
Ugh oh daughter isn't going to like that Max is a Maxine lol. Thank you we were told one was female and the other was a male. The one we thought was a male is so much nicer. She loves everyone and has yet to bit were as the other one bits all the time and is very selective about who she lets hold her. They definitely have different personalities. With them both being girls will they keep being nice to each other or should we keep a close eye on them so fighting doesn't happen. We've had wild birds that were babies that fell out of nest that have always been released once they were ready but these are the first pet ones we've had. Everything I've read up on about them seems to be off in some way.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Jamie, in the first two pictures you posted, both appear to be hens. How well they continue to get along will depend on them.

It looks like they could use some different perches in their cage. The wooden dowels like that aren't good for their feet long term.

JayCam33

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie
Monica thank you for the advice. We've only had them for a few weeks as they were a birthday present for my daughter. The perches that they have came with the cage and we've been replacing the stuff that came with the cage but haven't found some perches yet. What kind of perches would you recommend for them. My husband wanted to get them a little swing one but I wanted to do research on what would best suit them. They also spend a lot of time out of their cage as they like sitting on their ladder in the window.

Susannah

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
I agree, it is a female...female budgies generally bite and bite hard. lol
Swings are great for budgies - if dowel, try and replace it with a safe natural perch.
Ours all love a small amount of hay - they enjoy taking it onto a perch and chewing it for ages.
Budgies also love greens, corn on the cob, apple, carrot, sprouted seed, celery, sweet potato, peas, romaine lettuce, dandelion leaves and parsley occasionally...
Please don't have any mirrors in their cage - they can become fixated with the 'reflection budgie', regurgitate their food, believing they are feeding it and quickly become malnourished.
Depending on where you live, as to what natural perches are of a safe wood...budgies love nothing more than to chew on their perches.
If both are females, be careful not to introduce a male to the mix, severe squabling may insue...
Great that you are researching budgerigars - but, there is a lot of misinformation on some sites.
Both are lovely budgies - hope you get a lot of enjoyment from them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I totally disagree on the use of mirrors for budgies. Never has any of my budgies Fixated on a mirror. They enjoy them immensely.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looks to be a female

Roby

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for the feedback. I read that lutino females still maintain a brownish ceres because the brown colour is not impacted by the ino gene, this is why I thought the white ceres was indicating male. What is your thinking, you sound very experienced :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Recessive pied and ino males have pink ceres.

Flat white cere indicates female not in breeding condition.

Also - she's not a lutino. She is a "parblue" ino. More correctly, a yellowface type 2 blue ino aka yellowface 2 albino.

Roby

Checking out the neighborhood
Wow Monica! I am impressed!
You have just become my budgie Guru... :)
She is not in breeding condition due to disease or for what reason? She is 1,5years old...
I will try to send you a picture in daylight today...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She might not have the crusty brown cere because of hormones, diet, environment or any other number of reasons.

Lightning57

Meeting neighbors
Telling the gender of young birds still confuses me. Is it a hard and fast rule that the young males will have a cere that is rose to purplish in color? I know for certain that I do not want a female. My last female cockatiel cured me of ever wanting another female bird of any kind except for egg laying hens (chickens).

Our local pet store received four young blue parakeets yesterday morning. No, I don't plan to buy from them. I'm still looking for a local breeder. I was just looking to familiarize myself with the coloring of their cere and see if I could make a distinction. I think all but one had the whitish blue with the white appearance around the nostril. One I think was pinkish in color.

So to narrow it down: I need to look for a young bird that has a rosey to purlish cere. If an older bird I need to make sure that its' cere is blue or darker blue with no white around the nostrils. Pinkish in color only applies to males. I'm I correct? If I can narrow it down on what to look for in a male without having to remember all that pertains to a female, I think I will be able to keep it straight in my head.

Any of you know of a parakeet breeder in SC. I called one yesterday that has four birds which are about five months old, but she couldn't tell me what sex they are. Plus they haven't be handled for a few months. Don't think I want one of her's.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Yes most young male budgies will have a purple/pink cere with no white around the nostrils but some have a lighter color around the nostrils. But keep in mind that certain mutations will make young female budgies have a PALE purple/pink cere confusing new budgie owners. Age is also important to remember because very young females(3 weeks) can have a pink looking cere. But to a trained eye there is a difference.

But to make things simple. Just look at getting a budgie that has a very male looking cere, deep blue/purple(typically) for an adult male. Or deep purple/pink for a younger. If you have doubts then it's most likely female. Also try to find a normal green budgie(if mutation doesn't matter to you) because their ceres are more easy to understand. And keep us posted if you find any your interested in so we can help you decide if it's male. Pictures in natural light are best. And yeah it's best to avoid pet store birds(although some do care and will hand feed birds), and be careful with breeders. Some don't really care about their birds like others do. A hand fed tame budgie would be great. :)

Last edited:

Lightning57

Meeting neighbors
My husband and I are certain we want a blue male that looks mostly like Mickey above. Looking at Mickey's (at the top of the page) cere it appears to be female. Am I correct?

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
A blue budgie would be easier to tell gender too. I can't see any pictures.