• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Celebirdy of the month of August-Secret-Owner of Clueless:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Please join me in congratulating Secret as our celebirdy of the Month:dance4::dance4::dance4::hug8:
Here is what Clueless had to share with us about Secret.

1. 1. How did you acquire your bird?

The parrots were originally owned by my aunt. After her death, they were in the possession of her son. Apparently he was not fond of the parrots and when we visited and found them outside on a porch in the heat of the summer – we convinced him to put them back in the air conditioning and returned to pick them up as soon as we were able to get large cages.

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?

Secret. Age is unknown although the band indicated that he is a wild caught blue front amazon. A picture was located that was taken in 1978 of the amazon. The sex is DNA male. We refer to Secret as a “her” because Secret was smaller than the other parrot (MC) – and knowing my aunt, we figured she intended to breed parrots at one point. We had both parrots sexed because there can be medical issues if a parrot is a female and has issues that could have to do with egg laying. It takes a while for the DNA to come back – and if there is a medical emergency, we wanted the vet to have as much information as possible.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

Secret can turn on command (or even without command if it means the pumpkin seed will arrive faster). And, drum roll . . . . . an “upside down bird”- which means she twists her head to look upside down when she’s in her cage because she thinks the treats will arrive faster that way. Secret can also "wave"... 20160801_212417.jpg
    And down goes the leg 20160801_212414.jpg
    And a special one for those who aren't familiar with eye pinning.... 20160801_215029.jpg

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

Chop. We play “kill the food” at night when it gets in her bowl. Seriously, Secret dive bombs the bowl at times!

If you have a roasting ear of corn in her vicinity . . . . Secret will lean so much she's in danger of going over.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

The first year together . . . . Secret stalked me. It’s hard to take life seriously when you realize that a bird that is that small can stalk you across a kitchen floor and scare the stuffings out of you.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

Changed my life totally. I used to live on junk food - now there's organic veggies in my icebox for the zons and grandsons - and regular veggies for the humans. Because of the amazons, I had more sense when my grandsons arrived in this world (I'm a step-mom, my son and daughter were in their teenage years when I became a parent).

I live for the moments Secret talks to me (communicates with me) and for the moments that a wild animal will tilt her head, stick it to the bars and close the eyes to a slit (you didn’t think she would close them TOTALLY do you?) and let me skritch her feathers around her ear WITHOUT the hissing noise that normally comes out.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

They’re fabulous, awesome creatures of our God. They roll with the flow and they are SOOOOO easy to read their moods but remember, they have long memories so cut them a break if they seem a bit cautious of you as a human.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Fairly active in the cage at times – noise level can be loud at nightfall. Usually when it’s time for the pumpkin seeds or the chop container to arrive. I’m sure I could work on this issue – but I generally love the sound. If we have company, I just play a recorded whistle that I have on my phone and it diverts Secret into whistling.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

Secret won't come quickly out of the cage at all. We have to play a game.

When Secret escapes from the cage it's to attack the glass knob on the end of the huge stainless steel skewer in her cage. She's just realizing that an Avian Stainless "bling" is in her cage now.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

My son-in-law has the same name as my cousin. Obviously my aunt would holler his name fairly often and Secret picked it up. It’s just absolutely hilarious when my son-in-law is here for dinner and during dinner the parrot will belt out his name LOUDLY. Secret never says his name unless he’s here (and it gives him the heebie jeebies).

Then there's the time that I heard Secret say "I love you" . . . . but it's not been repeated. Sigh.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

A smear of peanut butter on a small piece of wheat toast.

Secret would like to say "thank you" .... 20160731_202407.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Congrats!

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:congrats5:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I loved reading about Secret :heart:
:starshower1::congratualtions::starshower1:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I enjoyed learning more about Secret.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! Secret is no longer a secret. ;) Loved her story.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I LOVED reading about Secret. What a darling! (Although I am really partial to BFA males anyway.)
Now a member of the Secret Fan Club.
:heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just fair warning to any fan club members, Secret is a mini-wasabi Amazon. @Wasabisaurus can tell you all about that attitude.

Secret has changed a lot in our five years together, but the hissing, eye pinning, put your body parts near me and I'll chew them up part still exist. Oddly, when I tell hubby Secret isn't in a good mood, he wants to know how I can tell......

Note the T Perch near my body last night in the photos above. Secret was in a snit and I'm smart enough now to remain prepared for emergencies.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
That requirement of BFAs that you must always be "on your toes" and thinking about what is going on is one of the reasons I love the male BFAs so much.
I got a few scars the first year, then I figured it out and any bites or attacks were then rare-- but still possible.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congrats

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:Congratwav:
I loved reading about Secret!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:heart: I loved reading about Secret!
Did you like the eye pin photo? Made hubby take that one just for you.....but the pin was fading because I still had pumpkin seeds.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't see it. Maybe I can see it in Safari. I usually use Firefox.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Did you like the eye pin photo? Made hubby take that one just for you.....but the pin was fading because I still had pumpkin seeds.

The IMG link is broken, upload the image here and I'll fix it. :)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope. Cannot see it in Safari, either! :think1:

W pins his eyes at me alllll the time. Only at night do I have a chance that he won't, and I get to see :dreamyeyes:normal Amazon eyes.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The IMG link is broken, upload the image here and I'll fix it. :)
Weird! I see all the photos on the forum page.

I'll invite you to the original thread I provided and see if you can fix these so others can see them.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Status
Not open for further replies.