• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - June 2018 - Wally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hearye:
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of June 2018,

@Hjarta5's Wally!

1. How did you acquire your bird?
Two summers ago, I was walking home and passed by a building with an awning that shielded me from the rain. In the corner against the door, a little grumpy blue fluff was standing on the ground -- as if this bird was also waiting for the weather to pass. I didnt know how she got there, but since no one around was claiming her, I took her home and called the local Audobon chapter to see if they knew what I should do, and the representative told me to keep the bird overnight and that the next day they would put me in contact with a rescue that could take her. I did not have any pet birds since I was in elementary school and had no intention of keeping one, having remembered how "boring" it was when I was 6 or 7 years old to be given 2 budgies as pets. However, my partner instantly bonded with our new friend and he said that he would take care of her. Now, 2 years later, Wally and I are best friends. :heart:

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?
Wally, female blue Quaker parrot of an unknown age :qpb:

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

I'm not sure if Wally has the attention span to learn any tricks :p But she does love to chase balls, run after me on the floor, and we will play hide and go seek -- where I will hide and call out her name, and she will come fly to find me. With my partner, they love to spin together.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

Luckily, Wally loves her veggies and will try most anything. She loves carrots, broccoli, corn, kale, basil, sweet peas, pom seeds, and beets!

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Whenever she hears the wild birds outside, Wally will become very protective and try to squawk them away. She has heard the hawks and falcons overheard in our area and will to get close to the windows to fight them. Our nickname for her is "bully bird."

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

Wally has taught me a lot about compassion. In learning more about avian care and the state of our birds in the wild, I was inspired to move to a more plant-based diet and cut down on my use of plastic and other man-made items that pollute our environment. Also, by spending the time I do with my birds, it has also helped me with the daily stress of everyday life; birds are great for meditation as they live in the now -- they do not worry about the past, they do not have anxiety about the future, they are just doing their thing and it has made me slow down and just observe without overthinking anything -- at least for a few hours every day. Its a bonus when your little ball of fluff nudges into the crook of your neck at the end of the day and you just sit there listening to her beak grinding every so often. I cannot imagine life without Wally.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
I would tell people that Quakers are loud, temperamental, obnoxious, and stubborn. At least once a day for a good 10-15 minutes, she will throw the loudest tantrum. And when shes hormonal, theres very little that can stop Wally from doing what she has her mind set on doing. Like all people looking to have a bird as a pet, regardless of whether its a Quaker or not, I would also tell them that being a caretaker means a lot of patience and work, but that there is also the reward of knowing a very unique personality.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Wally loves to be in the mix all the time. She is the first to get up in the house, and probably the last to go to sleep if I didnt make her go to bed. And even if shes tired, she will fight you to the death to show that she can go another round with you.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Wally is not a nest builder, but she loves to stack all her foot toys and other chew toys in one particular corner of her cage. She has also started to stack her nutriberries there as well. Its all a mystery to me... She also has the uncanny ability to mimic my laugh in response to if I am teasing someone or telling a joke -- without anyone laughing yet! It must be she recognizes the tenor of my voice when I do this or shes just my number one fan ;)

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

If Wally has said any words, I have yet to make it out!

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Her all time favorite treat, is whatever Luna, our Senegal parrot, is having at the moment -- Wally has definite kid sister mentality!

20171014_134654.jpg 20180120_104416.jpg 20180218_161316.jpg 20180503_143156.jpg

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:glowlol: What a character! Congratulations Wally! :birdance:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! She is such a pretty girl!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
Hi, Wally!
:fairy2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's so adorable! Congrats!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations!:laughing12:Wally has such a big personality:loveshower:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you! I think shes pretty great, but I may be biased :D

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Wally is beautiful and sounds like a lot of fun. Lucky that she was found by you.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:congrats5: Wally is so beautiful!!!

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Love reading about Wally such a sweet babe! Congrats! :congratualtions:

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
How you found Wally is such a great story!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats to both of you!

Wally is Number One on my list to "birdnap" some day...she's a Quaker :yes4:....and she is the prettiest color blue I've ever seen...:yes4:

Did I mention I love blue Quakers?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:scared3:

But I'm flattered coming from you and Milton :)
My love for Quakers is so well-known...I'd have a dozen- really- if it wasn't for the legal prohibition of the species here in PA. If I ever move to Ohio, you and @SandraK better watch out...I'll be coming for Wally and a couple of Sandra's "wild child" Quakers...;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You
My love for Quakers is so well-known...I'd have a dozen- really- if it wasn't for the legal prohibition of the species here in PA. If I ever move to Ohio, you and @SandraK better watch out...I'll be coming for Wally and a couple of Sandra's "wild child" Quakers...;)
You just need to move a mile over the PA border ...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
To tell you the truth...when I need a Quaker "fix", I drive over the Ohio border to this little pet shop where once in awhile, there's young Quakers...I'll keep the location classified, to protect the innocent...;) :rofl:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.