• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month! for May 2017 CallieCadmoor's Eros!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's what Eros' mom had to say :)

1. How did you acquire your bird?

I had two budgies when I was younger and always had a love for birds. I saw a few stories online about lovies which got me interested. I spent six months researching lovebirds before I got my Eros. I had originally wanted to adopt but at the time there were no parrot rescues in my province that I could find. Then one day after school, we were driving past a petshop and I just really wanted to go in. So in we went, coming face to face with baby Eros. He was on the smaller side with many stress bars on his tail. His siblings had no bars and were all stepping on him. We sort of looked at each other and I knew that we were "meant to be". Clichéd I know but here we are!

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?

Eros is a peachfaced lovebird. He hatched 5 January 2016, making him 1 year and a few months old now. I say "he" but there's no DNA proof. But so far he has displayed stereotypical male lovie behaviour.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

Is improving my day no matter how bad it has been considered a special trick? Haha. We have been working on tricks but to get him to stay still for long enough is a challenge. We've been practising recall which he is very good at and it is something we will continue to improve. Eros also can play basketball with bells. He just isn't a very good shot but hey, he's got everything else going for him!

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

Eros LOVES carrots. In fact, any orange food except oranges. It has been challenging to get him onto a healthy diet as he was weaned on seed. We have been working on it and have found that carrot, pea, bean, chilli flakes, spinach and meilies are his favourites for chop.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

Literally everything he does is either funny or adorable! I think some of the funnier moments have been with his wooden swing toy. He loves wrestling with it. Sometimes, he turns around after playing with it and because it is still swinging, it taps him on the tail. Well! That sets him off! He screams at the toy using words that a pirate parrot would be proud of and goes back to teaching the toy who is boss. Eros also has a habit of luring wild birds into the house. He has learnt the calls of the babies outside and uses them to get the parents into our home! We have had sparrows, a pigeon (luckily not in the house but on his way, they are difficult to catch), a toppie (not sure what they're called abroad? That's the South African name), a pair of thrushes, a swift as well as a few others. None of the birds get close to him as he usually only does this when he is flying in my closed bedroom.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

In many, many ways. One of the best things in life is knowing how to love unconditionally. I have always loved, I love to love. But with Eros, he is my baby. He relies on me and I rely on him. He has taught me patience when you're in pain (yes, I am talking about dealing with a grumpy nipper) and has given me a greater understanding into a bird’s mind. He makes everyone laugh with his upside-down antics and headbobs.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

Lovebirds may be small but they are feisty. They have lots of energy and need physical and mental stimulation. They needs huge amounts of attention, even if it is just being in the room with you. They are pretty birds with a mean bite. They use their beaks for everything. But for me, he is reward enough for the number of nips and dip in my savings. One day, I hope to adopt more lovebirds.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Energiser bunny! He is constantly searching for something new to do or playing and flying. He only settles when I'm sleepy. That's when all he wants is cuddles. I don't hear the pitch anymore. It does affect my family though, they find him loud. But I wouldn't say it is a 24/7 thing. Just in the mornings, evenings, if people are being loud and so on. He's a chatterbox, I enjoy his little sounds! I mean, a bird is meant to make noise so let them be themselves!

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

Eros has this infatuation with mouths and noses. He always finds a way to rub his beak with my ‘beak’ and is content to hang off my lips (not my idea of fun) or perch on my nose. He loves preening wet hair. He often lifts his one foot in the air and then forgets about it. He will stand for ages with his foot reaching out but not putting it down. Now, the one that I find quirkiest of all: Eros does not sleep on a perch… He sleeps hanging. Always. He hangs sideways on his sleeping toy, my dressing gown, on me (it has to be at a steep slope) or anything like that. He has done it since I got him but then he would roll over onto his side with his feet in the air and lie in the crook of my neck or arm.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

His words/ phrases include “Stop it!”, “Thank you” and “Yes”. “Stop it!” was the first thing he ever said. I was trying to get dressed and while I was putting on my belt with Eros hanging off the end and chewing the buckle, he told me in this deep Donald Duck voice to “STOP IT!” I was so shocked and then couldn’t stop laughing because of the voice this tiny creature had. Since then, his word count went to “yes” which he says a lot and then “thank you” which he said after I told him bless you when he sneezed.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

Hmmmm… I would have to say peanuts… He gets them very, very rarely but does his nut when he gets them. The one day I didn’t close the treat container properly and when I came back, I found a floofed up bird cuddled up to the container with 10 empty peanut shells on the ground. Needless to say, he went on a no peanut diet for ages afterwards and the container is always checked to ensure it is tightly shut.

Eros1.JPG Eros2.JPG Eros3.png Eros4.JPG

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congratsbig: Loved the interview! Adorable bird! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I enjoyed reading your interview!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congrats

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Congrats!!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice interview!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
I loved your interview and Eros is so adorable!!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congratualtions: I loved hearing more about Eros and your love for him!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations to you and Eros. What a wonderful interview.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:bounce7::congrats5::bounce7:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
Enjoyed reading about Eros.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Adorable!

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
Congrats, that lil cutie, just wanna love all over him!