• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Celebirdy of the Month for March 2017 - Atomicfriday's Toby!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Congratulations to this month's Celebirdy, Atomicfriday's Toby! :dance4: :)

Here's what Shannon had to say:

1. How did you acquire your bird?

I acquired Toby after my beloved Pionus suddenly passed, I was in mourning and a house void of any bird noises just isn't a home at all. I tentatively made a post on Craigslist telling viewers what happened with my previous parrot and my experience with them, and that my heart was raw but I wanted to give an unwanted bird a chance with me. I received a few replies, but the lady who had Toby stuck out to me the most. She lived an hour away and for many years bred birds, so even though she does not anymore people still know her as "the bird lady" so anytime something came up people would go to her. He was supposedly 12 years old and spent his entire life with a gay couple, his toys looked like they hadn't been changed out or moved in years and he had established a plucking habit. Reportedly he would chase and bite the men's toes, and as a result for a long time he went ignored. I was nervous going to meet him, and I didn't know what to expect in the future but I knew when I had seen him that he exuded kindness. I did not care that he was a little patchy, I had a good feeling about him and took a chance. This was over three years ago now!

2. What is your bird's age and sex?

Toby is a suspected male but has never been DNA sexed. I kept his name because he knows it, and I'd feel strange spending 12 years of my life being called one thing then onto another hehe. His age is estimated 15-16 as of now.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

I never taught him any tricks but he sure is entertaining on his own. His wings were clipped during his life before me so he prefers to walk around versus flying and he is very quiet and sneaky about it. He will not let out a peep no matter what you say, but as soon as you find him and pick him up he lets out a big "whoooo!" Like he just got off a roller coaster. He gives kisses very well and does the smooching sound right along with it. He will dance for almonds, and his favorite past time is to boss the dogs around.

3. What is your bird's favorite food?

Anything I am eating! The worse it is for him the more he wants it. But his number one is almonds, I never have to worry about him being naughty because he will literally do anything for an almond. Some of his other favorites are rice and egg, he will throw his head back and down the gullet they go. Grapes are also up there, and he pretends he doesn't like it but fresh orange slices are also a treasured snack.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

Soon after I first brought Toby home, I was playing the Andy Griffith theme song for him thinking all birds must love that song, right? He immediately puffed up and was silently glaring at me til the song ended, I asked him if he liked it and he promptly replied "NO". And shortly added "what is this crap?" Then proceeded on a three sentence tangent that I'm not even sure what he said, but I could tell it was with conviction!

6. How has your bird impacted or enriched your life?

Toby is an integral part of my family, and life just wouldn't be right without him around. He always has some witty remark to add, and he is great shoulder company around the house. He is the cause of many laughs, and inspires wonder in people who are not familiar with parrots. He constantly amazes me with how intelligent he is, and how loving. He has taught me to not live in the past, and to embrace every day with gusto and kindness.

7. What would you say to someone who is considering this species?

I have not had experience with any other greys, but like any bird they do take time to accept you as part of their flock and to let them become accustomed to people and things on their own accord. New things can be particularly spooky, and may take some time to adjust to different toys and even furnishings in the same room as them. Mine particularly loves to shred, and not always things he's supposed to! Overall he is a very stoic bird, and when he is uncomfortable with something or someone he is clear to let you know.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Toby is very quiet. He literally never screams or squawks, and is silent most of the day with periods where he will talk, whistle, and mimic household sounds like a microwave or smoke detector. We live on the bay and he often will try talking to the local ospreys, I might add with startling clarity. He is content to sit on his cage most the day, or on your shoulder/next to you while being scritched. He rarely attempts to fly (and is awful at it) due to being clipped before he came to me so when he is feeling exploratory he prefers to walk around on the ground.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

He is extremely non confrontational and never bites, if someone is trying to get him to step up or scratch him and he is not about it he will shake his head no and walk away while purring. Yet if I am rolling his cage around he will act like he is going to take a nip at my fingers, just for his own amusement. If he is hungry he will seek me out and let me know, by nibbling on my toe. He loves to call the dogs then tell them to "go lay down!" Or ask "what do you want?"

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising thing s/he has said?

I used to write down things that he says, I since stopped but he easily has a hundred different words and numerous phrases. He will let you know "wanna come out" ask you "is that good?" when you are eating and exclaim "oh my god". He knows when you start putting on shoes and grabbing keys that you are leaving, and without fail calls out a farewell of "we'll be back!" every time. Sometimes he will "need to get a beer" after a particularly long day of being a bird LOL

11. What is your bird's favorite treat?

Without question, almonds. I mentioned it earlier but he will do anything for an almond. I never have to deal with a fussy parrot that doesn't want to go in his cage or travel carrier as long as I have a stock of almonds!

Toby_IMG_1462141855831.jpg tobyIMG_1008.JPG TobyIMG_1185.JPG

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Congrats! What a great interview!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I enjoyed reading your interview.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Congratulations! I love hearing about everyone's birds

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations to Atomicfriday and Toby.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
I enjoyed your interview!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great interview! :highfive:

I loved his I need to get a beer and how HD really didn't enjoy the Andy Griffith song :hehe:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congrats Shannon

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congrats5: Toby is adorable! :heart:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
:congratsbig:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
:congrats5:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Loved the interview, he is a cutie pie!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: I loved reading your interview, especially the story about the Andy Griffith song. Great pictures too, Toby is a cutie!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:congrats5:
Great interview! I love how opinionated Toby is :heart2: He sounds like quite the character :)

Heather F

Congratulations! You have done a great job outlining Toby's personality. He sounds like a real treasure!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:Congratwav:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran