• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Celebirdy for the month of September, 2015 Tulip!! (alcmene)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:dance4::dance4::dance4:
I am so excited to announce
the Celebirdy for the month of September, 2015

Tulip!!!!

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

Here is what alcmene
had to say about her beautiful girl, Tulip!

1. How did you acquire your bird?
We got her as a rehome. Her previous owners were nice people who meant well and had the best of intentions, but they just weren't prepared for how loud, powerful, and destructive big macaws are. She was tearing stuff up, when they tried to make her stop- she'd lunge, which made them afraid of being bitten. So they started leaving her locked up all the time. Which made her start screaming. Her screaming was ear splittingly loud, so they moved her cage in to the basement to escape from the noise. Which made her even more lonely so she started screaming more. When their neighbors started calling the police about the noise they decided it was time to find her a new home. They contacted a prominent hyacinth breeder, who referred them to me. She has really blossomed since coming here and no longer screams or threatens to bite. She's my love bug. :swoon:

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Tulip is a 3 year old female hyacinth macaw

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
She loves to fan her wing out over her face and then snap it back and shout "Peek a boo!" Then she laughs at her own joke.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Nuts, nuts, and more nuts (except for almonds, she hates those).

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
She does tons of funny things. One of my favorites is when she gets her chop in the morning she sorts very carefully through her bowl and throws out anything she doesn't like on to the floor while yelling "No!" at the offending item.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
In every way. When I was a child my parents had a friend who owned a hy. I adored that bird and decided that some day I was going to have one too. Of course, I could say "I want to walk on the moon," but that doesn't mean I'm actually prepared to be an astronaut. I was serious about my goal though, so I spent the next several decades learning about parrots- their care, training, emotional needs... everything. I volunteered at rescues. I joined bird groups. I especially sought out opportunities to spend time with large macaws. I waited until my life was stable- already married, owned my home, etc. I didn't want to be one of those people who didn't think about the long term since macaws have such a long life expectancy. FINALLY, my day came and Tulip came home. I can't describe in words what that felt like. To have my heart's fondest wish of the last 20+ years finally come true. "Enriched my life" doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about that bird. I love her with every fiber of my being.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
DO YOUR RESEARCH. Hys are incredibly strong, and smart, and loud, and expensive (not just their purchase price, but also their daily care. Tulip can destroy a $75 toy in under 10 minutes.) Because of their huge size, they are just more of everything. Don't do this amazing species a disservice by not being adequately prepared. They are A LOT to handle. Worth it, but still a total handful. Be prepared to properly care for them both physically and mentally. The birds deserve it.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
She is a constant whirling dervish of activity. Tulip is only still when she sleeps lol. She is earth shatteringly loud. I live on a large property with acreage. My mailbox is a 1/4 mile from my house. I can hear her clearly from my mailbox through closed windows.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Our property is forested, so we frequently have woodland visitors. My kids get really excited when deer come up to the house and always point out the window shrieking "Deer! Deer!" whenever they see them. Tulip has picked this habit up too and now helpfully announces "Deer!" whenever she sees them outside.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
Tulip has learned to yell "MOOOOOOM!" in an "OMG total emergency" tone that is a perfect mimic of my daughter. So whenever I hear that scream I no longer know if it's my child and something is dreadfully wrong or if it's Tulip playing around. Of course I run in to see every time. And 99% of the time it's Tulip. When i come in she picks her foot up and waves to me and says "Hello" and blows kisses, so I can't even be properly annoyed at how rotten she is because she's so stinkin' cute!

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Macadamia nuts

celebirdy 2.jpg celebirdy 3.jpg celebirdy 4.jpg celebirdy 5.jpg celebirdy 6.jpg celebirdy 7.jpg celebirdy 8.jpg celebirdy.jpg

Last edited:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Congrats and a perfect choice. I love Tulip and Tulip stories!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Hy's are my dream bird and yours is absolutely adorable!! Congrats!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5: This is well deserved and very interesting and amusing! I would die if my bird blew me kisses :kiss2:

I didn't know Tulip was a rescue :swoon: How old was she when you adopted her? Is she flighted? What type of cage is she in? What does Tulip think of your children and other birds?

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everybody!

@Flipper - I've had Tulip for about a yr. She isn't flighted. Her previous owners gave her a terrible crop (cut all 20 of her flight feathers!). We're waiting for them to grow back out. It's happening, it's just taking forever. She is is a custom stainless steel cage from expandable habitats. It's walk-in aviary size. She doesn't seem to notice or care about the other birds. She adores children- mine and everyone elses. She's a frequent visitor at my kids' school.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everybody!

@Flipper - I've had Tulip for about a yr. She isn't flighted. Her previous owners gave her a terrible crop (cut all 20 of her flight feathers!). We're waiting for them to grow back out. It's happening, it's just taking forever. She is is a custom stainless steel cage from expandable habitats. It's walk-in aviary size. She doesn't seem to notice or care about the other birds. She adores children- mine and everyone elses. She's a frequent visitor at my kids' school.
Sounds like a home for a queen :queen::twirl:

I'm so happy you found each other :heart:

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
OMG

Cha Cha does this.

A bit more exaggerated as she can turn her wing completely inside out.

:gbh:
It must be a hy thing. I have a friend whose hy does it too. She calls it his tai-chi moves lol

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Congrats to Tulip and you! Do share again your steps for "how to feed Tulip fresh coconut!" I laugh every tme I think of that.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I really enjoyed reading about your bird. She sounds incredibly intelligent. I am glad she has blossomed under your care. It sounds like you two definitely belong together!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats to Tulip and you! Do share again your steps for "how to feed Tulip fresh coconut!" I laugh every tme I think of that.
I missed that!

Loved the story, the pictures and congrats on your feathered family member!

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:congrats5:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Tulip is so beautiful! I really enjoyed learning more about her. :)

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The steps to feed Tulip fresh coconut are:
-hand her a whole coconut
-walk away

:bounce4:

She LOVES coconut so I buy her fresh ones all the time. She's super smart and has watched me break in to them so many times that she has figured out how to do it herself. 1st she stabs out the 3 eyes with the point of her beak. Then she wedges her beak in to the holes and uses her super strength to break out the triangle in the center. After that, it's easy peasy. She's so strong she has no problem cracking off pieces and munching to her hearts content. My little birds do sort of the same process with walnuts. This is just the XXL version! :hehe:

Usually i cheat and help her though by punching out the 1st eye myself. That way I can drain the water out instead of her spilling it everywhere

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congratualtions: Tulip is so beautiful!!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
SO SO LOVELY!!
Very much deserved, i look forward to seeing more pics :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Tulip is beautiful, and I enjoyed reading the interview! Also, that is a very nice PVC stand.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.