• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy for the Month of November 2016 - Zane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We are very proud to announce that the November 2016 Celebirdy award goes to:

Sarah Moluccan's Zane!

:heart:

Here's Sarah's interview :)

1. How did you acquire your bird?

I got Zane through a friend of mine. She used to run a parrot rescue. I did a co-op there and later volunteered. It will be 13 years last month since he was found a cardboard box duct taped shut in a dumpster. I met Zane on my first day of my co-op, at that point he was there for only a week. For all he must have been through he was still one of the friendliest birds at the sanctuary. Zane and I developed a special bond. He would scream a special scream when I would visit him. :hilarious: So when my friend started to do night shifts at her job and needed somewhere Zane would get more attention she picked me. I've had him for about 9 wonderful crazy years now :heart:

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?

His name is Zane, hard to know exactly how old he is but we think he may be 70+, and he's a boy

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

He does something that we call the "Chunky chicken". Usually someone will ask "where's the Chunky chicken?" and he'll fluff up all his head feathers and then shake his head. Then we go "There he is!!!" It's called the "Chunky chicken" because when he first came in to the rescue he was so thin he looked like a scrawny chicken. So when he began gaining weight he became a chunky chicken :)

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

He loves bananas, carrots, corn, potatoes, and grapes

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

He's such a silly bird at times. Sometimes I'll have Zane while I'm lying down on my couch and he'll be hyper and want to hop. It's like we acting out "Hop on Pop" by Dr. Seuss. Occasionally he'll hop at on my chest and yell "Woooo" right in my face! :laugh:

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

In so many ways! He's taught me to be more patience and to try and change the things you can but also accept the things that you can't. He can make a bad day so much brighter with a birdie cuddle. :)
He also makes me appreciate my parents more. Running around while keeping up with Zane and his "brother" Echo is the closest thing that comes close to parenting in my life. Plus while they enjoy being with the birds at times, they're not really "bird people". But they have been so supportive of me having both my birds, even helping with the cost of vet bills and other costs. I'm very lucky to have such amazing parents :heart:

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

They can be the sweetest, most loving birds that can just melted your heart, but that can also be their downfall. Because sadly a lot of them end up rescues. It's very easy to fall in love with a Moluccan, it’s a lot harder to actually take care of one. They do have their mood swings and their bite can definitely do some damage. But some of the sweetest birds I've had the privilege to know have been Moluccans. I definitely have a soft spot for them. They do require alot of time, effort and a very high tolerance for noise! Definitely do your research and talk to as many M2 owners as you can if you're looking at getting one and please consider adopting a rescue one or a one that needs rehoming.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Zane loves to be out to run and play and to hop but as he gotten older he's slowed down quite abit. Noise level is pretty insane at times. I once read that moluccans are the second loudest birds in the world. I don't know if that is true but there are days where I certainly believe it!

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

He use to stop and look at his feet all the time. He would be running somewhere and he would suddenly stop to look at his feet. It was like he couldn't believe he has feet!! He also use to like to hop back and forth from tiles to carpeting sections of the floor. Plus he loves the acoustics in the bathroom, his favorite place to go when he's running around, screaming and hopping on the floor

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

I heard him whisper "good boy, good boy" once. It was when he was sick and was just starting to perk up again. He's also has tried to say my name Sarah. He couldn't quite get it but he came close.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

He loves carbs! Bits of muffins and pizza. He also likes whole grain pasta.
Avian Avenue Picture1.JPG AA Pic5.jpg AA Pic4.JPG AA Pic2.JPG AA Pic3.JPG

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for giving Zane a wonderful, loving home. So sad to read that he was found in a taped up box in a dumpster. Some people can be so cruel. At least his story turned out to be a good one with both of you finding each other. Congratulations to you and Zane!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I had no idea that was Zane's background. So sad. I'm so glad he found a loving home with you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a wonderful choice - Zane. He is a great bird who took full advantage of being saved from the dumpster. He's a hero bird and Sarah isn't so bad herself.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: I didn't know Zane had such a sad background. I'm so glad that little chunky chicken found his way into your life!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats!! :starshower1: Such a handsome boy!

I loved reading about Zane, and I honestly will never understand the cruelty some people can commit. Thank you so much for giving him a loving home. :hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations Zane and Sarah.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:hug8: That's a pretty awesome halo you're wearing. So who is the angel and who is the angel in training? :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you everyone!!! Zane is certainly a character who has changed my life for the better :heart: l love sharing stories about my little cuddle monster/Chunky chicken. :hilarious: It was a real honor to have him be pick as this month Celebirdy :swoon:

Status
Not open for further replies.