• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Celebirdy for the Month of June 2016/SCOUT!!!(Rockybird)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Hi Roadies! Please join me and congratulate our Celebirdy
for the month of June 2016
The beautiful, charming, Scout!
:dance4::dance4::dance4:

This is what Jennifer had to say about her gorgeous girlie...

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I was browsing craigslist and saw an advertisement for a nanday conure. She looked skinny, dirty and unhappy. She had a small round cage. I didn't want another bird, but I felt compelled to acquire her and hoped to find her a new home. The owner agreed to meet me at a local circle K. The family told me she was mean and that had not been out of her cage in a long time. I could tell that her wing was broken. I drove her home, angry at myself because who would want a loud and mean nanday? I knew that I certainly did not.
When I arrived home, I took her to a back bedroom for quarantine away from my caique, maroon belly conure, and two parakeets. I didn't know how I was going to extract her through the tiny cage door to move her to an avian adventures mediana cage. I opened the door and she immediately crawled out! The next thing I know, I am cuddling her against my chest, rocking her on the edge of the guest bed. She was coated in old pin feathers and I worked to break them up. We rocked like this for a long time.
Every day that I came home from work for the first couple weeks, I would hold her against my chest, snuggling her. I would take her for walks around the house, or hold her while I browsed the Internet. I had to do this because she could not balance on my finger. She would fall right off. I think this is because she had never learned to balance on a finger and she was weak from being confined to such a small cage. Also, I believe her broken wing did not help. She never once bit me.
As I did not want another bird, I arranged for my friends to take her. They came over twice, but she just bit them and clung to me. We decided that I should keep her. She is a true delight-a very comical and affectionate bird.

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Scout is a girl, named after Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird. She is around 5 yrs. old. I am her 3rd or 4th owner.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Scout doesn't know any tricks, but she loves to dance and tap her foot to music.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Scout is not great at trying new foods. She will really only eat safflower seeds and pellets and an occasional piece of cereal. She will eat pasta, rice and corn if I hand feed her, but otherwise she will not try new things. She also likes crackers, but unlike my other birds, she does not like sweet things.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
One night, while playing with her on the bed, she moved like she was going to bite me because she thought I was going to put her in the night cage. I said NO, and she stomped her little foot, pupils constricted, and looked me in the eye and said NO back at me. It was so darned cute!

Scout will also laugh when I laugh, give me kisses on the lips when I ask for them, wrestle, and mumble and "talk" when I am on the phone moving her head around as if we are having an animated conversation.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
This little affectionate bird has definitely enriched my life. She seems so happy now, and that makes me happy. She is incredibly sweet and just a little joy. Sometimes I hear her give a shriek of what I interpret as happiness. It makes me smile.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Nandays are very social animals. They love attention. They are little comics. They love animated sounds and noises. Scout loves to sit with me and we make funny noises and sounds back and forth.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Scout is not as loud as I had anticipated. She has a couple different screams. One scream is for when she sees a new person in the yard. She has another (demanding) scream for when I come home, because she wants out NOW. But, she will also not make a peep for hours at a time. She is actually much quieter than my caique. If I am home on the weekend, she will stay quiet in her cage for most of the day.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Scout loves to roll on her side, snuggled up against me, with her foot in her mouth. It is very endearing! She loves to beat box and will get into it, tapping her foot in rhythm. She LOVES to chew on napkins and my shirts. She will also fill her beak with seeds to eat them. She won't take just one, but several and hold them in her lower beak.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
Scout does not talk well. She does mumble like she is trying and a couple times I have heard her say NO back to me. She loves to "talk" while I am on the phone.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Scout loves safflower seeds. Every now and then I give her a piece of cracker, which she very daintily dips in her water.

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image7.JPG image8.JPG image10.JPG image11.JPG image12.JPG image14.JPG

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats! Scout is such a cute little girl and I loved reading about her. :heart:
:congrats5:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She's lovely! It was meant to be! You rock Rockybird!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love the story of you bringing her home and her cuddling! So sweet.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you everyone! She is just so cute! I thoroughly enjoy her. Last night while talking to my father on the phone while laying on the bed, she was trying to do everything she could to get my attn. - flinging my hair around, rolling on her side, dancing and tapping her foot, trying to wrestle with my fingers. She is such a hoot. And she has turned into such a beautiful bird. Thank you for letting me show her off!

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Yay, congratulations! Love Scout and it's so good to see her thriving with you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading more about her.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was a wonderful read :xflove: Scout is a lucky bird and very pretty :heart:

I love the pictures you've shared :heart2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a precious little bird. I'm so glad I got to learn more about Scout. :) Congratulations!

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Congrats! I love the paper towel picture! Scout seems quite pleased with her cork and concerned that she might have to give it up. :)

Edit: work not cork!

Last edited:

Solayan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
:congratualtions:
It's so wonderful to see how Scout has blossomed under your care. It's clear that the two of you were made for each other. :heart:

Heather F

I adore that picture of her sucking on her toes. Scout is a treasure. She KNEW where she belonged and you just had to give in. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.