• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Celebirdy for the month of December 2013/(Hankmacaw's)Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
It is with great pleasure that I introduce the Celebirdy for the Month of December, Jasper!
:christmastree4::santadance::reindeer2::ggjingle::snowman4:

Here is what Jasper's mommy had to say about her.
:candycane2::santaclaus4:

1. How did you acquire your bird?
A couple I knew bought Jasper as a 14 week old unweaned chick. She had a birth defect where three toes were forward (only one back) on her left foot. The defect was causing her to walk on her ankle, so a vet operated and turned her toe back where it belonged when she was a few months old. She now has severe arthritis in both feet. She was a cheap GW.
I helped them raise her and care for her, until she was about three years old. We had a falling out. Yes, mostly over their lack of proper care of Jasper. She was fed whatever she wanted – bacon, cheese, ice cream, chips…etc. If it was bad for a parrot, she got it. Her main food for months was bags of in shell peanuts from the grocery store. No toys, one perch and a filthy cage that only got cleaned when I babysat her.

Once after our falling out, I went to their house to take them some things of theirs I had found at my house. When he answered the door holding Jasper, I was shocked. She was sparsely feathered, dirty and underweight. I begged for them to let me have her for a couple of months, but they said there was nothing wrong with her and that was that.

I found out later that Jasper spent the next three years in the backyard with their three dogs and no shelter. This was in Phoenix, AZ.
They came to me when Jasper was six and asked if I could keep her for a couple of months while they lived in an apartment until their new house was finished. Of course, I said yes.

When it came time for them to take her back, they said no they didn’t want her. With four boys, a new baby, three dogs and starting a new business they just couldn't keep her.

I had Hank by this time and knew that I had my hands full financially, emotionally and physically with his health and behavior problems. I really didn’t want Jasper, but I knew if she went back she wouldn't live long.

Three months later Jasper was diagnosed with severe cardiomyopathy (congestive heart failure). The Dr. told me not to expect her to survive very long, that if she were a human, she would be on a heart transplant list.

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Jasper Macaw Skinner, 20 ½ years old and a female.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Jasper is a two trick macaw. She will tap her toes while you count and she waves (when she wants to).

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Because of Jasper’s early upbringing, she is a junk food junkie. Sweet and greasy foods are her favorites. She eats a good diet now and has grown quite fond of her chop and green leafy vegetables. Never a pellet shall touch her lips, so I have to cook her Harrison’s into her birdbread, which she loves. When I would get too freaky about Jasper’s diet her vet would remind me that, “It’s not worth being alive without a Frito now and then”.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Jasper is not a funny girl and her health has kept her from having a lot of extra energy. I also think that Hank’s personality was overwhelming to her. When he was playing like a maniac, she would just watch and egg him on.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
How do I count the ways? Jasper and I have been through the best of times and the worst of times together. She is always there for me and she never judges. I guess that’s the way it is with old friends. She is my constant, my rock.
We are working through the loss of Hank together. She misses him terribly (as I do). They were lovers for 12 years.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Go for it. I volunteered at a parrot sanctuary for almost two years and a GW never came in as a sanctuary give-up, so when I decided to get my own macaw I decided on a GW and found Hank. My decision was also influenced by knowing Jasper.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Jasper is so quiet that I sometimes check on her to make sure she is OK. She is moderately active, but her CHF keeps her from being what a person would call a wild and wooley bird.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Jasper and I have lived together so long now that I don’t notice any “quirks”. We have a very comfortable relationship. Even though she was cared for poorly as a young macaw, her family socialized her very well. Jasper has never bitten hard enough to even really hurt. She is easy to handle and minimally destructive. I sometimes joke that Jasper has had her “Macaw Certificate” revoked.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
She isn’t and never has been a talker. She says – hello, come’ere, good girl, cracker and that’s about it.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
FRITOS - LOL

1. Jasper as a pretty girl
2. Jasper a lovely young lady
3. Normal bird heart
4. Jasper's heart - twice a big as normal
5. H&J's last night together, Jasper is preening Hank
6. Jasper and Hank in better days

JASPER T.jpg Jasper.jpg
birdheart_xray.jpg Jasper's Heart.jpg

jasper preen hank.jpg

J&H_JasperHi.jpg

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing Jasper's story with us.

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a wonderful choice and fantastic interview..Jasper is so gorgeous.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Your life with Jasper is absolutely heartwarming. May be the most heart warming relationship on AA :hug8: :hug8:

Thank you so much for sharing

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
6. How has your bird enriched your life?
How do I count the ways? Jasper and I have been through the best of times and the worst of times together. She is always there for me and she never judges. I guess that’s the way it is with old friends. She is my constant, my rock.
We are working through the loss of Hank together. She misses him terribly (as I do). They were lovers for 12 years.

This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing with us.
Congratulations dear sweet Jasper! I think it's your day to get that Frito!

hockeymomwood

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
I love hearing these happy-ending stories. Jasper is beautiful! :heart:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
She's so beautiful! I can't thank you enough for adopting her!! :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you everyone. I have been privileged to have lived with two very brave birds, who fought hard to stay alive. Through them I have learned the true meaning of courage and perseverance.

When the vet first told me that she had CHF, he said the longest he had ever seen a bird live with a heart as bad as her was five years. One more year and she will have lived 300% as long as she was supposed to. At her last 6 month check up in Oct. the Dr. said she was the best he had seen her since I got her. Now if we could just get her a new heart.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :heart: :hug8:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you everyone. I have been privileged to have lived with two very brave birds, who fought hard to stay alive. Through them I have learned the true meaning of courage and perseverance.

When the vet first told me that she had CHF, he said the longest he had ever seen a bird live with a heart as bad as her was five years. One more year and she will have lived 300% as long as she was supposed to. At her last 6 month check up in Oct. the Dr. said she was the best he had seen her since I got her. Now if we could just get her a new heart.

Sounds like she's got yours to carry her through the rough spots.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I barely got through reading this, Mary Lynne. What courage you both have shown. I miss Hank also, and I didn't even know him. But your vet was quite right. Life just isn't worth living without a Frito now and then.

Mary Lynne, you are a wonderful birdy mommy. Jasper, you are a brave and beautiful girl. :heart: :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.