• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Caught me by surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Awww Java is adorable!! I was also wondering, is all fleece bird safe? Or do you have to watch out for certain dyes and stuff?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww Java is adorable!! I was also wondering, is all fleece bird safe? Or do you have to watch out for certain dyes and stuff?
It's safe. Dyes aren't an issue, I just make sure I get non-pilling fleece. I'm looking into felt to see if that would be an option as well.
I hand wash all of Java's blankets and the color has never ran or anything :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
It's safe. Dyes aren't an issue, I just make sure I get non-pilling fleece. I'm looking into felt to see if that would be an option as well.
I hand wash all of Java's blankets and the color has never ran or anything :)

I gotchu, thank you!!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just learned that he's playing, which makes me ecstatic. After he ate, he got on his sleep perch and messed up the blankets again. So we played. Then as I was covering him up for the night, he messed them up again and started beak grinding.
This is the first time he's actually played. I'm so happy!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Just learned that he's playing, which makes me ecstatic. After he ate, he got on his sleep perch and messed up the blankets again. So we played. Then as I was covering him up for the night, he messed them up again and started beak grinding.
This is the first time he's actually played. I'm so happy!

Awww, that's so awesome! I'm sure he's just so happy to be back home. Everytime I take Blu to the vet, for a nail trim or whatever, he is always so incredibly happy to come back home. They probably worry that they're being rehomed when they go and then realize it was just a visit

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He was making a point and playing. His body language and eyes say he wasn't mad at you or anything like that. Did you notice he was flexing and moving the toes on his foot as well as he was moving around to try and hang on or balance too. He's expanding his world with your help and he's happy so he playing with Moma and enjoying your reactions when he messes with things. I bet as he gets more comfortable he'll do more play type of things to the ability he is able.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was making a point and playing. His body language and eyes say he wasn't mad at you or anything like that. Did you notice he was flexing and moving the toes on his foot as well as he was moving around to try and hang on or balance too. He's expanding his world with your help and he's happy so he playing with Moma and enjoying your reactions when he messes with things. I bet as he gets more comfortable he'll do more play type of things to the ability he is able.
This makes me so happy. To see him moving around and engaged is something that I thought would take years. I'm going to encourage him to play more often, even if it means fixing his blankets around the clock :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so happy to see him like this, he seemed to be having a wow of a time.
You are so good for each other you and Java! He is such a little cutie pie :heart:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Momazon used to have a tug of war/fight with a old wash cloth that Dobby demanded they do every day. She gave us all of his toys and treats and his travel /shower cage. When I broke out the wash cloth he was offended and wouldn't play with it. I guess I'm not Momazon and that was just for them. Nerd had many games we were expected to play when I came home from work. His favorite was touching bird where he'd wait on top as I walked in if he was out. I'd run over like a maniac yelling touching bird and he'd scamper across the top and slide down the back of his cage just as I reached to touch him. He'd quickly scamper back up loking all proud of himself and chortleing happily. I rarely caught him. His other was to beak wrestle with my fingers. He'd screach and growl like he was going to kill me and bury me in the backyard as I tried to tap his wings and he grabbed my fingers. It was a very stylized battle and if I went OUCH! he'd look mortified and stop. I bet you can work out a tug of war game with a cloth or something with the behavior he's doing now and not have to keep picking things up, but they have their rules and some games need to be done just so.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Momazon used to have a tug of war/fight with a old wash cloth that Dobby demanded they do every day. She gave us all of his toys and treats and his travel /shower cage. When I broke out the wash cloth he was offended and wouldn't play with it. I guess I'm not Momazon and that was just for them. Nerd had many games we were expected to play when I came home from work. His favorite was touching bird where he'd wait on top as I walked in if he was out. I'd run over like a maniac yelling touching bird and he'd scamper across the top and slide down the back of his cage just as I reached to touch him. He'd quickly scamper back up loking all proud of himself and chortleing happily. I rarely caught him. His other was to beak wrestle with my fingers. He'd screach and growl like he was going to kill me and bury me in the backyard as I tried to tap his wings and he grabbed my fingers. It was a very stylized battle and if I went OUCH! he'd look mortified and stop. I bet you can work out a tug of war game with a cloth or something with the behavior he's doing now and not have to keep picking things up, but they have their rules and some games need to be done just so.
That sounds so adorable. I fixed the blanket on his platform while he watched me from his sleeping perch, then, as soon as I sat down, he undid my work and went back to his perch. I think he's proud of himself :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Brittany0208 Do you think that the pain killer is making him feel good enough to play? I know that the fluids, if he was dehydrated would make him feel a lot better.

Just keep in mind that pain itself can be debilitating.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 Do you think that the pain killer is making him feel good enough to play? I know that the fluids, if he was dehydrated would make him feel a lot better.

Just keep in mind that pain itself can be debilitating.

Would they kick in that quickly? He had his first dose at the vet about an hour before we came home, and when we were leaving and he was in the carrier, he started tossing around his blanket while laying down. I didn't think much of it until he came home and did the same thing.
What are the signs of dehydration? He was drinking plenty of water and had moisture in his food, so I'm a little confused about him being dehydrated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, Metacam takes effect very quickly. It reaches maximum adsorption at about 1.33 hours and a half life of 3.83 hours.

Pharmacokinetics of Meloxicam After Intramuscular and Oral Administration of a Single Dose to American Flamingos (Phoenicopterus ruber) - IAAAM 2015 - VIN
The rate of absorption after oral administration seems to be slow enough to result in an increased value of Tmax (1.33 hr vs. 0.28 hr) and half-life (3.82 hr vs. 1.83 hr) in comparison with the intramuscular administration. This is characteristic of a phenomenon known as flip-flop, which is caused by a significant decrease in the rate of absorption.

Jasper is on daily furosemide (Lasix), so I check her hydration daily. The way I can tell if she is excessively dehydrated or not is by looking at her toes. He toes will be flat or indented on the sides if she is dehydrated. I can also tell by her cheeks (bare unlike Java), they get more wrinkly when she is dehydrated. You can also pull up on the skin on the back of his neck and see how fast it goes back down - just like us pulling on the skin on our wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.