• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cats

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
once again I go out on my porch and find the "leftovers" of a bird kill. This time a pretty male redbird. It makes me heartsick. Then I think of a thread I read yesterday about a rescued cat that killed a bird that was in its cage. I just can't understand why people keep thinking their birds are safe with cats and dogs in the house. I know there may be a few safe dogs out there but I would never trust any cat with my bird. I've had many cats over the years ,even indoor ones, and I've never seen one that won't attack with the right stimulus. Just had to get this off my chest, I feel so sad.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I have two cats, one is a hunter the other not so much.

I have not and will never allow the cats to be in the same room as my birds as I know they will be killed. Its a predatory instinct that will always be there no matter what.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Poor birdy :( we find these all the time too on our porch. The stray cats in the area will leave them I think for our indoor cats. We have two cats and one dog I wouldn't trust any of them around Aries no way not even if he is in his cage!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
once again I go out on my porch and find the "leftovers" of a bird kill. This time a pretty male redbird. It makes me heartsick. Then I think of a thread I read yesterday about a rescued cat that killed a bird that was in its cage. I just can't understand why people keep thinking their birds are safe with cats and dogs in the house. I know there may be a few safe dogs out there but I would never trust any cat with my bird. I've had many cats over the years ,even indoor ones, and I've never seen one that won't attack with the right stimulus. Just had to get this off my chest, I feel so sad.
It takes a lot of vigilance to have birds with other animals. Although I grew up and love cats, my home is Bella's home and I know that I am not vigilant enough to watch both a cat and a bird so I get my cat fix when I go to my friend's house.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hope "outdoor cats" will become socially unacceptable in due time. I don't think people truly understand the impact they on wildlife. I remember when I was growing up it was ok to let dogs wander and picking up your dog's poop was not a thing. That has changed thankfully. Hopefully the outdoor cats will change too. And hopefully we can reduce the number of all the stray cats too.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I live in the county on a small farm and we have 2 outdoor cats to help keep mice out of the barn. It was overrun by mice until I got a cat. Unfortunately they don't limit themselves to mice. The one who has recently been bringing his kills, including a squirrel last week that I got away from him, is over 5yrs and he didn't used to hunt at all. I just feel so bad every time he gets a bird. We do need them in the barn as rat poison would be worse on wildlife than the cats.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I saw a show the other day on TV, and it showed a cat playing with a captive owl. One of those 'unlikely animal friend' shows

I cannot tell you how uncomfortable and angering it was to see.

That said, I have cats and I do believe that they can be kept together- it's just hard and in now way should they be remotely near eachothers spaces ( if that makes sense) . I have a bird room. Door stays locked. Cats have never ever see birds or can't get to them in any capacity . My family is just as serious with this as I am. When guests come over , and they want to see the birds, I explain the protocol and I'm extra vigilant.

Also helps my cats are really old and spend most of the time in the basement. They don't want to go after anything much- but I am still aware that spark for prey could still come out.

Admittedly, I might not get another cat after mine pass. It's too much stress. Especially with a new/young one.

I think outdoor cats are sorta a mixed bag- for farm situations they're totally acceptable. But a house cat in any other situation really doesn't need to be going outside.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I totally agree cats in residential areas should be kept inside. They don't need to be out there killing wildlife. Not only that, they could be run over, attacted by other cats , dogs, etc. ,and they can catch diseases. Also they can be a nuciance to the neighbors. Animals should be a responsibility not an ornament to your life.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's a shame things like that happen. However, many people (there are lots here) keep both cats or dogs and birds, with no problems. I personally have a dog, and while I know she's a big sweetie who's basically scared of her own shadow, I still take the necessary precautions. My bird stays in his cage if the dog is out and about, and if the bird is out, the door to that room is closed and not opened until he is back in his cage.

I could never get rid of my dog, but I could never get rid of my bird either. As long as you're careful, you'll be fine. Accidents do happen, but it's our job to prevent them from happening as best we can. And that includes never letting a dog or cat and a bird interact. But just because you have a bird doesn't mean you need to get rid of a cat or dog.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@Donna turner
When I was a young kid I had outdoor cats. All 3 passed away because they were outdoor cats.

I agree 100%

There's also somebodies cat I've seen on the property where I live. Makes me nervous. I have chickens. I don't need someone's cat hurting my chickens.

Animals should be a responsibility not an ornament to your life.
Very true. Parrot anecdote here- once saw a Black Palm 'too somewhere ( I think it was a bird fair/expo) . it's owners never touched it, even looked at it- just waltz around it at a distance like ' look what I have' like an object.

People can have differences of opinions on care or how to raise an animal but some people just don't get it. People get lazy, they get high and mighty over having certain breeds/species, they say it's just an animal and well fine- but you still need to take care of it, yknow?

That got wordy. Lol.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Cats have never ever see birds or can't get to them in any capacity .

I think outdoor cats are sorta a mixed bag- for farm situations they're totally acceptable. But a house cat in any other situation really doesn't need to be going outside.
My animals have seen each other but I don't allow them to interact. It helps my cat not go stir crazy trying to get behind a closed door. It also helps my birds not flip their mind if the hamster is out in a designated play area. I've found letting them know they exist helps the anxiety, but I have a few high strung pets.

When I was a minor my parents used to keep inside/outside cats. One of the cats passed away from accidental antifreeze poisoning and the other passed away after 16 years due to old age. When I was older I understood how bad outside cats really are for the environment and how dangerous it is for them. Unless you have a barn/farm and need them for rodent control cats should be kept inside otherwise it's just irresponsible. Walking a cat on a leash however or having an enclosed porch or similar where cats can still feel the air from outside without roaming I'm fully okay with.

Last edited: