• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Catalina or Harlequin?

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
I was told our recently adopted macaw is a Catalina but recently I have seen a few Harlequin pictures that look a lot like her. What is the best way to tell the difference? Her chest area is a very bright orange but her back is or muddied yellow and green mix. If someone could tell me what differences to look for I will try and find a photo or video closeup of that body part.

oct 26 2011 029.jpg
oct 26 2011 023.jpg

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Well with her light yellow back I would say catalina because of the scarlet in her. But a harlequin will have a more blue/green tail where catalinas mostly have a yellow/orange/green and sometimes blue tail. I know harlequins with light Orange chests, and some with deep red chests. Depends on who the daddy is, the gw or the bg. Best way to know for sure, double check with the breeder. :)

Oh and I met a second generating hybrid this month, he was harlequin x blue and gold, he was basically a harlequin coloration with an all blue back.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I believe the beak should be one of the discerning differences between a Harlequin and a Catalina. That GW influence is going to come through on the beak of a harlequin. They should also be somewhat larger. Though all macaws are getting smaller every year it seems.:(

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
My guess, with the color I can see is Catalina... whatever she is, she is a beautiful macaw! :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Looks catalina. She's gorgeous! Any more pics?:)

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
She looks to be a Catalina to me also. Gorgeous.

purplekat61

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kat
she is beautiful and looks catalina to me also. if you need a full time 24/7 bird sitter just let me know :lol:

Braeburn

Strolling the yard
Catalina, she is gorgeous but definitely looks different from our Harley in those pics. Beak and the yellow coloring gives it away.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Yeah, beautiful catalina. Harlequins don't have the red by the nose, and the beak is very dark.

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Looks a lot like my Catalina but when I posted pics it was mentioned mine may be harlequin.
006.jpg 016.jpg 010.jpg

ZoeynHarley17

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey. deff a catalina because of the yellow on its backs. Now Janie. yours looks like a Harlequin to me. No yellow and his beak is a perfect Harlequin Beak. Did you get him from a breeder? I got mine from a reputable exotic bird store, and the avian vet confirmed hes harlequin and yours looks a lot like mine, except mine looks to be a little bit bigger. 20130621_171504.jpg 20130731_165956.jpg 20130731_170004.jpg 232323232_fp83232_uqcshlukaxroqdfv_8_nu=3268_78___97_WSNRCG=393_833__32_nu0mrj.jpeg 232323232_fp83232_uqcshlukaxroqdfv_587=ot_2359=87_=_88=XROQDF_2_2_742___239ot1lsi.jpeg

BEVERLEY MEERS

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Harlequin
If the dad is a b&g and mum the g/w they have more yellow & blue the dark orange/red chest and darker beak
Most harliquins are b&g mum g/w dad

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the Avenue, @BEVERLEY MEERS! This is a very old thread and last posted to in 2013 - most of the users posting to this thread haven't logged onto the site for several years, so probably won't see your message.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I was told our recently adopted macaw is a Catalina but recently I have seen a few Harlequin pictures that look a lot like her. What is the best way to tell the difference? Her chest area is a very bright orange but her back is or muddied yellow and green mix. If someone could tell me what differences to look for I will try and find a photo or video closeup of that body part. /QUOTE]

She is gorgeous!![

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
You have a catty!
Welcome and more photos please!
:fairy: