• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cat walks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
What do you cat people out there think about taking indoor cats on walks?

My little girl is really interested in outside, and she is half Siamese, so she needs a lot of stimulation. (Her brother could care less, LOL).

Would this be a good thing for her, or would it just encourage her to escape out the front door?

Shes_so_european

Meeting neighbors
cats can be walked on a harness as easy as a dog can. Actually a show called My Cat From Hell just did this to a Siamese. Check it out on animal Planet. Pretty cool guy too. Enrichment, enrichment, enrichment. My Lion-O also walked on a harness for a long time till he went to "grandma's".:catrub: :siamese:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I saw this harness at the pet store that I researched and it had really good reviews. I guess I'm just worried about her becoming too obsessed with being outside and thinking it's ok to go without me! Also...then I have to use flea control on them...blah. But I think it would be really good for them!

They are turning 1 in a couple days, and I want to get them harnesses as a presents! I'm a crazy cat lady, I know. :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Jazell goes on walks :)

I think it's great!!

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
One of our cats loves to go out in the yard on her harness! She does get more fixated on the great outdoors though, and expects to go out with us whenever the weather is nice.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Thanks for your responses! If she does get more obsessed with outside I'll just have to be even (she already loves the door) more careful with doors.

Martine - Thank you for sharing those wonderful photos of Jazelle! She is beautiful and looks to be LOVING her walks! What do you use for flea control?

OK..tomorrow I'm totally buying harnesses and giving this a shot!

Shes_so_european

Meeting neighbors
Make sure not to wrestle them into them though. go through a desensitizing process. Make it a happy thing with treats and such otherwise they will think "OH NO! CRAZY LADY WITH TORTURE DEVICE!" lol

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Make sure not to wrestle them into them though. go through a desensitizing process. Make it a happy thing with treats and such otherwise they will think "OH NO! CRAZY LADY WITH TORTURE DEVICE!" lol
Yes, we'll go slow. Well, the boy, is totally "stoned" all the time and won't care. LOL The girl is very hyper, wild, etc. so she will not like the harness one bit. We will go slow!

Conurechicken

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Karen
My Mabel is still learning to love her harness and to go on short "walkabouts" outside.

Some day I'd love to build an outdoor cat enclosure for her. Of course right after I build a large outdoor aviary for my birdies. ;)

This website has a lot of great ideas for outdoor cat enclosures. PAWS - Outdoor Enclosures for Cats

Sigh & drool...

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wow...those outdoor enclosures are amazing!!! One day, right?!

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Go slow slow slow :). Put it on her to wear for a few days, let her drag the leash once in a while to get her used to it, etc. If they flip out outside and back up, the harness will just fold over their heads and come off. It's great for kitties to walk though.

Status
Not open for further replies.