• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cat toys, dog toys safe for caiques?

BirdDad

Meeting neighbors
I'll be watching over my sister's caique sometime next month. (If anyone saw my previous post about that, I actually thought it was going to be June, not July. :p)
I want to keep him entertained while my sister's away, and I was thinking of picking up some toys at the dollar store for him.
I have a tent for my cats and I think he'd really like that. I wouldn't let him use the one my cats hang around in though and I'd just get him a new one.
Something like this:

He likes having little hideout and I think he'll really enjoy that.
Also, are cat toys/small dog toys safe? He likes toys that squeak although we never really let him chew on it or anything. Would it be safe if he were to play with them while supervised? Like plush toys.
Also, are cat balls safe? What about baby toys?
If not, there's a parrot store in a nearby city that sells little things for like a dollar each. Maybe I could go there and pick up some things.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I use these:
image.jpeg
They are sturdy enough so Joey can't break the plastic.
He also likes to play with straws and dixie cups (unwaxed), raw macarioni shells, shredding cardboard .... some of these things you may already have at home.
Your sis is very fortunate that you will be taking care of her bird.
I do believe that the most important activity is when you talk, whistle and sing to him. Take him for tour around your house or look out a window together.
You could teach him tricks, using bits of walnut or almond as a reward.

Last edited:

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The new big hit in my house is Gatorade caps! Who knew they could be so much fun!?! I'd stay away from plush/fabric toys. They can ingest fibers which can cause problems. My two also love the hard plastic balls Wendy showed.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What about baby toys?
I will say that baby toys are perfect if it is for child at the age of 0-3 years.
I use a lot a baby foraging toys for my parrots like:

And this is my Brio favorite.