• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cat scratched Lovebirds Eye

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
I am going to guess that the dosage is probably right.
@RawPasta was giving 25mg per dose to a Nanday Conure based on 62.5mg/ml and 0.4ml.
@Ilse is giving 2mg to a lovebird. Based on 5mg/ml and 0.4ml.

This. Sorry I fell sleep. Since your concentration is lower, it seems to be the correct dosage.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks like you got the dosage all straightened out and you got the right stuff.

Description

Clavamox (amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablets) is an orally administered formulation comprised of the broad-spectrum antibiotic Amoxi® (amoxicillin trihydrate) and the β-lactamase inhibitor, clavulanate potassium (the potassium salt of clavulanic acid).

Amoxicillin trihydrate is a semisynthetic antibiotic with a broad spectrum of bactericidal activity against many gram-positive and gram-negative, aerobic and anaerobic microorganisms. It does not resist destruction by β-lactamases; therefore, it is not effective against β-lactamase-producing bacteria. Chemically, it is D(-)-α-amino-p-hydroxybenzyl penicillin trihydrate.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the medication takes care of your baby. Be sure to give it faithfully and watch him closely for symptoms. Glad you could get him to a Dr.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So glad to hear you got your baby checked out by the vet and you have the dosage sorted out. Hope all will be well for you and Rocky now.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Best of luck to your poor little birdie. If you want a little trick to give her her meds when/if she doesn't want them, drip a little at the side of her beak close to her skin. It worked for me with Bull on days he really didn't want his meds.

Did the vet go over how to towel/hold Rocky while medicating her?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
She still can't open it as wide as her other today but it looks a bit better, a little purple but not swollen or anything. She doesn't really like being held and I can't really get the end of the syringe in her mouth so i drip it on the side of her beak and she takes is like that, is that an okay method?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s a great way to give it, especially since it works! I’m so sorry she got injured, but you did an awesome job getting her the help she needed! I hope she heals soon.
:hug8:

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
rockierest.jpg she's been sleeping like this most of the time, puffed up and on one leg. It is pretty cold so that may be why she's puffy but is this way of sleeping unusual? A sign that she's sick?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My bird sleeps like that when he is really tired or it is a little chilly. He sleeps that way about half the time he snoozes.
I am so glad you were able to get some medication for your little treasure, you are doing such a great job of looking after her....well done.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
@Shezbug well it's super cold since it's winter so I assume she's just chilly, poor girl! Also, thank you! I appreciate everyone's advice, I was panicking a lot but having so much support and advice has calmed me down quite a lot!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so looking forward to the warm weather coming back......OMG so very long till that happens! lol.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Rockie is eating right now but a few minutes ago she was laying on her tummy, puffed up with her feet under her and her head back in her feathers. Almost like a boat! I don't think it's 'normal', but is it anything bad?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey @Ilse, sorry but I do not know how to answer that one. I do know my bird (still very young) tends to enjoy to lay down on his belly sometimes when he is really tired as I think his little toes get a bit tired, he is doing it less and less but he still likes to lay down on my soft bed often for a little rest.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Try not to stress out too much as she will feel your stress, animals are funny like that. You have had her checked by a vet and she is taking some medication that will knock out any yuk or bad bugs in her system, sometimes antibiotics can upset the tummy a bit and some are more sensitive than others with that. You have done all you can and I think rest will be the top of her priority list if she is not feeling the best yet. Keep her warm and let her rest, I am sure all will be fine.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
It should be 0.04 3x times a day and just a warning she might spit it out. Use cherry juice as a cover. I just went through a bad ear infection with my girl and it took a year to clear up.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
It should be 0.04 3x times a day and just a warning she might spit it out. Use cherry juice as a cover. I just went through a bad ear infection with my girl and it took a year to clear up.
With the concentration 0.4 is most likely correct.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Do you have a hot water bottle/microwavable heat sack? You could try to use one of those tucked in a tea towel to warm her up and see if it helps.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may want to give the vet a call if you have concerns.
Do make sure she is warm enough. Don't know what kind of cage you have for her but you can put a heating pad under 1/2 of the cage. Do make sure the heating pad has a cover or put a towel over it and make sure she is not getting too hot.
How does her eye look?