• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cat scratched Lovebirds Eye

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Hi everyone! I just got home from the vet. They weren't Avian specific but it was the best we could do since most Avian clinics are closed on Sundays. The vet checked her over and asked how she was. I mentioned her large amount of sleeping but it didn't seem to be an issue? The vet didn't say anything about it. But I did get some antibiotics for her, and on the label it says "Amoxicillin-Clavulanate" so I'm assuming that's what it is. Since the clinic didn't usually treat birds they didn't have a lot on hand that I could use but the vet did her best and that's what she gave me. I need to give it to Rockie 3 times a day in the amount of 0.4ml and it needs to be taken orally.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
This is what it generally looks like, @Ilse (mine is expired.... time to toss it!) They may also give you metacam or something similar as it helps with pain and inflammation. Hope you were able to get your Fid to a vet! View attachment 280068
View attachment 280067 View attachment 280066
Yeah that's what I got, I think! It isn't in a bottle like that though, it's in what looks like a bottle for urine samples, just a bit taller! I assume it works then? I really hope so!

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Yeah that's what I got, I think! It isn't in a bottle like that though, it's in what looks like a bottle for urine samples, just a bit taller! I assume it works then? I really hope so!
How much does rocky weigh? I'm pretty sure they go based on weight, and my boy was on .4ml q12. He's about 170g+... for 14 days. His blood and stool all came back perfect, so I'd say it worked!
Fingers crossed for Rocky!

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Also remember it should be stored in the fridge and shaken very well before giving a dose.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
@RawPasta Rockie wasn't too still when being weighed but apparently she's only 30g? I don't know if that's right...

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
@RawPasta Rockie wasn't too still when being weighed but apparently she's only 30g? I don't know if that's right...
I don't know average weights on lovebirds, mine is a peachfaced lutino and comes in at 50g....

I'd just double check your dosage, 0.4ml 3x sounds like a lot to me. Then again, I'm not a vet. I can fix people better than birds.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
@RawPasta Yeah the vet said to take her to the nearest vet (which wasn't the one we went to today) in about 3 days just to see how she's doing. Is there a way I'll know if it's too much?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there any info about the drug concentration listed on the label? I also think that dosage might be too high.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am not a vet and I don't want to calculate it incorrectly but based on mg/kg orally and then the concentration I just think it should be less than 0.4. I have found some inconsistent info regarding mg/kg dose for avians so that's confusing.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Can you call the vet & check the dosage!

A decimal point is a big deal to a bird who is measured in grams not lbs

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am going to guess that the dosage is probably right.
@RawPasta was giving 25mg per dose to a Nanday Conure based on 62.5mg/ml and 0.4ml.
@Ilse is giving 2mg to a lovebird. Based on 5mg/ml and 0.4ml.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Getting a total of 6 mg daily with the three doses so maybe it is correct based on the dosing guidelines but it's worth calling and rechecking.
I've become a bit paranoid sometimes with medications after one time the person who labeled the medications mixed up the labels (I knew it was wrong because I was familiar with both medications.) and then another time someone put the decimal in the wrong place.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
When I was with the vet she repeated what I had to do a couple of times, how much I had to give her, etc. Everything she said was the same as on the label, so I'm assuming if I called the vet she'd just say the same thing. Rockie is still sleeping a lot but she's sleeping on one foot now and she wasn't before so I'm hoping that's a good sign!

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
She took her first dose at 1:30 pm (the vet said I should start giving her the antibiotic as soon as I got home, so I did) so when should I give it to her again?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Best to space it evenly throughout the day if you can. So roughly 8 (6-10) hours between doses.