• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cat scratched Lovebirds Eye

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Also, if it was your shoe that caused the cut then I would be thinking about the fact that you would not lick the bottom or any other part of your shoe due to the gross things your shoes come into contact with. Shoes can be just as bacteria laden as a cats claws.
No one saw what happened so fobbing it off to something less dramatic makes no difference, your bird has an injury to its eye that could have been caused by many different things and the two main things you think it may be are both so full of bad bacteria.
I hope every thing works out well for your bird and it does not have any pain or lasting damage.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I've talked to my dad for hours trying to convince him to come home and take her but he just wouldn't do it, so I will 100% drag him to the car and take her to a vet tomorrow. Also since my last message, she's been able to close her eye a bit more. it's closed completely but towards the wound it's open slightly, like something is pulling her eyelid down a tiny bit. She seems to sleep fine, her other eye is completely closed and she has her head turned to her back and shes fluffed up.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Good work Ilse, maybe best to leave the nagging of dad for early in the morning now then? lol.
I am pleased to hear she is likely to get a check up tomorrow morning. Hopefully all will be fine, but the eyes are not a place an injury should be taken lightly so I am pleased you are so closely watching her.
Do you have an AV near you?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I've searched online and the closest one I could find that's specifically for birds it about 20 minutes away. May I ask, do you know how much it could cost for a check up, and antibiotics if Rockie may need them?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I saw an AV a few weeks ago for a wellness check. My visit was under $80 for my bird.
Antibiotics are not usually very costly, we paid about $15 a few months back for a two week course of them for our dog who is over 50kg. Usually I have found that my vet visit costs seem to be mostly the consult fee which you can find out from the vet before you go, that will give you a base price and just have some extra cash for meds or any tests they need to run. They are fairly reasonably priced usually. The price for medications is always more costly for larger animals as they obviously need a higher dose, you have a small animal who will need small amounts of any medication so I do not think your cost for medication would be much if there is any needed.

You said the vet is about 20 mins away, have you checked they see birds? Some vets will not take birds as clients..... just make sure to check they will see your bird and they are familiar with treating birds if they are not Avian certified.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I've searched online and the closest one I could find that's specifically for birds it about 20 minutes away. May I ask, do you know how much it could cost for a check up, and antibiotics if Rockie may need them?
Ooops, my bad. I did not realize that you checked for an AV straight up. Good work!

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Okay so, I just re checked the website for the vet (thank goodness I did) and apparently they don't OPEN on Sundays! I've been searching and I can't find any vets that say they help birds, so I'm not sure what to do. My dad wants to go to Best Friends, but I'm not sure if they treat birds and if they did they'd be pretty useless I assume

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am not sure what that vet clinic is like, have you tried calling the vet clinic you were going to go to? Some of them have an after hours service, I have had to use the after hours services many times in the past as all my pets seem to injure themselves late at night. I have found the out of hours call out fees are not too bad all things considered, your local vet may have an out of hours call out vet.
Some of the vet clinics that do not have an avian vet may have a vet who is familiar with birds and ok to see them for things as long as it is not surgery. I would give the first clinic a call to see if their answering machine has an after hours/out of hours number to call.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Okay so, I just re checked the website for the vet (thank goodness I did) and apparently they don't OPEN on Sundays! I've been searching and I can't find any vets that say they help birds, so I'm not sure what to do. My dad wants to go to Best Friends, but I'm not sure if they treat birds and if they did they'd be pretty useless I assume
Call and check. They may have someone on who treats birds. They may not be a certified avian vet but if they see birds they could still clean the wound, look at the eye and prescribe antibiotics.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I was very tired so I decided to lay down (not sleep) with Rockie beside me so I could still watch her. She slept and every once in a while I would call her ame till she opened her eyes and looked at me to make sure she was alright. After a while I realised I hadn't actually been checking her eye so I did and it's swollen. rockiewound2.jpg

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
I wish we were local, I have antibiotics I'd give you to use. Can you see if the clinic that is open will prescribe anything?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
The soonest I can go anywhere that might have anything is 10 am :( I'm too worried to sleep in case something happens (in just a few hours her eye swelled up and it worries me that something else could happen while I'm asleep)

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Please keep us up on what happens? Praying your feather baby feels better but you have to get him to the vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that all will be well with Rockie and that you can find a vet.
You can do a search on this website:
Association of Avian Veterinarians
You do want to get that eye treated and get some antibiotics into her.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm not trying to freak you out, but this is the scientific reason that any cat bite/scratch is important. maybe you can show it to your dad.

[Pasteurella multocida infections in birds following cat bites (author's transl)]. - PubMed - NCBI

I can't find the reference this morning, but I believe that Baytril is the preferred antibiotic for treatment of Pasteurella ultocida in parrots. Chime in someone if that's not correct.

They seem to most often prescribe clavamox for cat injuries. :)

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley

They seem to most often prescribe clavamox for cat injuries. :)

This is what it generally looks like, @Ilse (mine is expired.... time to toss it!) They may also give you metacam or something similar as it helps with pain and inflammation. Hope you were able to get your Fid to a vet! 20180623_135114.jpg
20180623_134838.jpg 20180623_134750.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hey @Ilse, how is your bird today? Were you able to make an appointment with the vet for this morning?

I hope everything is ok for you and your little one.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Hey @Ilse, how is your bird today? Were you able to make an appointment with the vet for this morning?

I hope everything is ok for you and your little one.

This.

Any update? Were you able to get to a vet?