• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cat pheromone plug in

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Hi my bird peeps. My roommate and I have a cat that is struggling being around other cats. The vet suggested (because we don’t want to rehome her if we don’t have to) this product to help. Since it’s a plug in it has me slightly concerned, so I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with it. It’s going to be in the hallway next to the bird room, ideally, but could go into my roommates room which is further from the bird room.
Any opinions or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4961.jpeg IMG_4963.jpeg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I tried one when my bengals were alive and didn't notice any improvement. Of course, that doesn't mean you couldn't get positive results. It didn't seem to harm my birds. At the time, I had 4 ara macaws and an amazon.

Reactions: Lo_

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are also collars you can get for many of these things which only directly affect the animal it is on if you are concerned. I have no experience with the plug ins though I am sorry.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
The vet I previously worked under had said these were fine to use with birds and other respiratory-sensitive species (reptiles, arachnids, etc).

It is sort of cat-dependent though, for some reason it doesn’t work on all cats like @aooratrix experienced. If that doesn’t work, you can get calming treats as well. Or go the old school way - give everybody a good rub down with the same towel or blanket one after the other after the other and back again, so everybody smells the same. I honestly don’t know if there’s any actual science behind it, but it’s one of those old wives tails that’s been around for years.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I apply the same maxim, regardless of species: tired (insert animal species), happy human. Get wands, laser pointers, enrichment toys and tire 'em out. No extra energy for drama that way.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
There are also collars you can get for many of these things which only directly affect the animal it is on if you are concerned. I have no experience with the plug ins though I am sorry.
Oh I didn’t know they had collars, maybe we will look into that as well, thanks!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We rescued two cats about a year ago. One a grumpy 25 pounds and the other a paranoid addict that lived under the furnace of a foster home.

Bach was on gabapentin 100ml x2 a day for anxiety and it did nothing to help him. We set him up in my son's room with a feilaway plug in, a zylkene supplement and started the detox process from gabapentin.

I was impressed with feliaway and the zylkene my vet suggested. I wasn't brave enough to put the plug ins anywhere near the birds but I used it in other rooms far off from them.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
The vet I previously worked under had said these were fine to use with birds and other respiratory-sensitive species (reptiles, arachnids, etc).

It is sort of cat-dependent though, for some reason it doesn’t work on all cats like @aooratrix experienced. If that doesn’t work, you can get calming treats as well. Or go the old school way - give everybody a good rub down with the same towel or blanket one after the other after the other and back again, so everybody smells the same. I honestly don’t know if there’s any actual science behind it, but it’s one of those old wives tails that’s been around for years.
Thank you!! We asked our vet but they weren’t sure.
We might try treats or the towel if this doesn’t work. Poor kitty is licking herself bald :( we don’t want to get rid of her but if another home without cats would be better for her we are open to it.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
We rescued two cats about a year ago. One a grumpy 25 pounds and the other a paranoid addict that lived under the furnace of a foster home.

Bach was on gabapentin 100ml x2 a day for anxiety and it did nothing to help him. We set him up in my son's room with a feilaway plug in, a zylkene supplement and started the detox process from gabapentin.

I was impressed with feliaway and the zylkene my vet suggested. I wasn't brave enough to put the plug ins anywhere near the birds but I used it in other rooms far off from them.

Yes she is a rescue as well. Found her outside with no chip or collar and she didn’t match any of the lost cats in our area. I think she was dumped for having behavioral issues. She was going out of the box for a while when we first got her. I will have to check out that supplement! Thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I did use this for my cat in the upstairs of my house. It was fantastic for her (she was stress peeing out of the box after we moved.) I noticed no scent from it at all, even up close. I too was not brave enough to try them near the birds though!

Hannah!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
I use this with my cat who used to try and attack us with every little movement or sound we make it works great

Hannah!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
I use this with my cat who used to try and attack us with every little movement or sound we make it works great
Oh I forgot to mention it's it the room right next to my birds and there's been no problems

CarryOn357

Moving in
We use Feliway in our household, as our ginger male likes going after our two females---all are altered, but Whiskey Ginger seems to like chasing the two girls for the fun of it (and this is after playing with his toys, initiating wrestling sessions with the Standard Poodle, and running up and down the stairs, all around the house multiple times). My only warning with the collars is that, although they can help if you worry about any vapors with your birds, Whiskey has been figuring out how to remove it...and then uses it as a toy. So while the pheromones themselves seem to work, you really just have to choose the option that best suits your situation---not to mention budget!