• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cat carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Hit the Road
hey guys.

i've seen people and heard of people using cat carriers for transporting parrots. i want to know if that's a good or bad thing for an african grey. it seems like a convenient way and would really help me with less space usage in my car. i'd use it strictly to transport my grey to the vet and back home, nothing else.

if this method is fine, i would have to at least use a towel at the bottom for a better grip, ya? any other tips appreciated.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I think it's fine! This is what Nemo was sent to me in. I think it's fine for short trips. Just make sure you train him to go in and come out and make it fun so that going in there doesn't always equal a vet visit or something scary:)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I have also used cat carriers before also. I agree, make sure it is latched properly too, because mine has been known to come open sometimes (I fixed it before it became a problem, but it wasn't latched at the bottom and the fid was trying to get out). I think those will be fine.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
I also use something like that. It works fine.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
All my five have been in one to the Vet's at different times. They are happier in one with a towel over the sides than in the travel cage I have also used. Also I am happier as I have more control over their welfare and it is only for the journey there and back not forever so does no harm.

Joey

Hit the Road
one thing that bugs me though is how they can easily step on any of their droppings. ;(
any way around that?

Kathy

Our vet is close and they aren't in the carrier long. So far I've not had to worry about droppings or them stepping in it.. usually they do their business during the vet visit when they are on the exam table lol
I'm not sure what I'd do for longer trips.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I also added a perch by drilling holes on two sides and attaching a screw on perch that went completely across. Works great. You just want to make sure the carrier is tall enough for you size bird and the perch is not attached too high. If you ever need to transport your bird for longer distances you can also add two small screw on lixit bowls to the inside of the wire door for food and water.

Last edited:

Kathy

Great ideas from Bonnie and Marie. Looks like your problem is solved Joey

southernbirds

Put a towel on the bottom and then change it when you get to the Vet. A towel at leaves will give the bird some traction for his feet rather than the bare plastic.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also use these to take my guys to the vet. I put a towel on the bottom and they do just fine. I will have to look into adding a perch,I never though to drill into the sides,thanks.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Yes I just posted a pic of the one I took to the vets today they are very handy!

Status
Not open for further replies.