• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cat Attack

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
The cats were outside and no one has any idea how they got in but one of them attacked our 6 month old lovebird. I've attached photos of what we think is the wound. Is there anything we can do to help him until we take him to a vet? Unfortunately I have an appointment today at a far away place and we won't be back before the avian vet closes. IMG_20190207_125226.jpg IMG_20190207_125258.jpg

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Skip your appointment... he will die without immediate antibiotics.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
The wound may not look serious but cat saliva often contains pasteurella bacterium which is very dangerous to birds. It is a puncture wound so antibiotics are likely necessary.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A agree with all the above, get to a vet. Even a tiny wound from a cat can be deadly. Poor bird.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My bird got pasteurella by sitting on my lap where a cat had snuggled. He must have had a cut on his feet. He survived after 14 days of baytril

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you don't get him to a vet ASAP, he'll be dead by tomorrow. Skip your appointment, it can't be that important. Go to the vet. NOW. Call them first so they know you're coming and they can get ready.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with the others. Please take your lovebird to the vet ASAP. Don't wait. Hope he will be OK.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Beat feet for the nearest ER vet now please

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Go now honey, you have less then 48 hours to get antibiotics started, in the meantime, was it well with warm soapy water, and apply 50 percent peroxide and 50 percent water solution.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you went to the vet for your little birds sake, and that he’ll be okay. Please update us.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Definitely vet ASAP, and you may consider letting the wings grow out so that he more easily can get away if there is ever a next time. Hopefully there isn’t! Good luck!

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Hey guys ! Thanks for all your help and advice. Unfortunately my own appointment couldn't be rescheduled and was quite important but I'll spare you my medical history and details. Still, we paid the after hours emergency fee and got Peach looked at.

Turns out the cat had bitten a hole just under his bone so we were lucky to avoid breaks or fractures. He'll be on anti-inflammatory and antibiotic meds for a week but prognosis is definitely good! Peach should recover soon hopefully with the help of his medicine ❤❤❤❤

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Glad to hear it didn't break any bones, looked like a very narrow miss from the pictures. So happy to hear he got to the vet, hopefully he'll be back to normal in no time. :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good for you for taking him to the vet. Yes, Pasteurella Multicoda bacteria is real and prevalent in cats. Watch him closely and if he starts regressing get him back to the vet immediately.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Definitely vet ASAP, and you may consider letting the wings grow out so that he more easily can get away if there is ever a next time. Hopefully there isn’t! Good luck!
I was going to comment the same, but I remembered this member has only recently obtained these 2 birds and both came clipped unfortunately.
But definately something to remember in the future. I don´t own a cat but I don´t clip my birds wings, just incase they need to get away. This just goes to show why their wings are vital to them.

Glad you got peach to the vet and looked at. Such a little cutie.

Maybe look into how the cat got in and work on making sure it doesn´t happen again.