• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Castiel has escaped!!! [UPDATE - FOUND!!]

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
After losing Pogo out the front door, I put up a wall of curtains between the front door area and the living area so the birds can't fly through. I also don't open the front door needlessly if the birds are out, i.e. for salespeople or someone I don't know.
I need to look at doing something like that as well.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
We are going to be WAY more vigilant and I would never clip my babies wings. When a door opens now we will have someone watching Cas at all times. I live with my mother and father because it helps me with my PTSD and my TBI that causes seizures. So someone is always here to watch baby. I was blown up in Iraq is why I have issues. Cas helps me a lot. I don't have children so my pets are my children. Never been married either but that is Ok because I am happy with my feathered and furry family members. He will not get a chance to fly away again. I don't think we would make it without him. He is the smallest and probably the most loved member of our family. :)
that worries me that someone will just be watching Castiel when the door opens. By that do you mean they will be holding him and restraining him when the door opens? Because by just watching him they can't stop him from zooming out as you know how quick he is. Please clarify :)

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
that worries me that someone will just be watching Castiel when the door opens. By that do you mean they will be holding him and restraining him when the door opens? Because by just watching him they can't stop him from zooming out as you know how quick he is. Please clarify :)
He will be held when the door opens or placed back in his house before the door opens.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad that Castiel is home and safe - for you and for him.

Thank you for your service and I'm so sorry that you were injured while assuring all of our freedoms. Nothing I can say will thank you enough.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
We are going to be WAY more vigilant and I would never clip my babies wings. When a door opens now we will have someone watching Cas at all times. I live with my mother and father because it helps me with my PTSD and my TBI that causes seizures. So someone is always here to watch baby. I was blown up in Iraq is why I have issues. Cas helps me a lot. I don't have children so my pets are my children. Never been married either but that is Ok because I am happy with my feathered and furry family members. He will not get a chance to fly away again. I don't think we would make it without him. He is the smallest and probably the most loved member of our family. :)
:hug8::hug8:

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
How often do I need to get Cas's beak trimmed? Or do I need to get his beak trimmed? Is there something I should be putting in his cage so he can maintain his own beak? I got him a branch with sand paper on it and a cuttlebone is there anything else you would suggest? And he has wood chew toys enough that he can barely get around his cage. LOL

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is wonderful!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
So glad you got him back home where he belongs.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How often do I need to get Cas's beak trimmed? Or do I need to get his beak trimmed? Is there something I should be putting in his cage so he can maintain his own beak? I got him a branch with sand paper on it and a cuttlebone is there anything else you would suggest? And he has wood chew toys enough that he can barely get around his cage. LOL
A normal beak doesn’t need trimming. Does he have scissor beak or is his beak growing abnormally? My vet won’t touch the beak unless there is a medical reason.

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
A normal beak doesn’t need trimming. Does he have scissor beak or is his beak growing abnormally? My vet won’t touch the beak unless there is a medical reason.
His beak is perfectly normal. He has a very healthy diet and loves mangos. Thank you. Good to know I don't have that to worry about. :)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

I trim my guys' beaks as I see them, even if it's just helping them flake off what's loose. Tiki has a scissor beak so I work on that but it seems to be getting better. Itsy never needs a trim but I scrape off loose layers with my fingernail. Quack gets thick spots that take a long time to flake off so I file it down with a nail file. Darwin's point gets a bit too long so I Dremel it occasionally and flake off any loose bits on the edges. Captive birds aren't always chewing on what they would in the wild so I think some do need help. Cracking nuts in the shell and chewing on wood helps but not all birds keep their beaks in great shape.

When I got Quack she was using a large sandpaper perch as her main perch. Her beak didn't need trimming as she was always rubbing it on the sandpaper but it was almost too pink getting close to the blood vessels. And her feet were a bit too pink from the rough surface too. I would rather have to trim her beak than to have her feet raw so moved it to a less used spot.

The vets also trim anything they see needing it when they are in for their checkups.

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I trim my guys' beaks as I see them, even if it's just helping them flake off what's loose. Tiki has a scissor beak so I work on that but it seems to be getting better. Itsy never needs a trim but I scrape off loose layers with my fingernail. Quack gets thick spots that take a long time to flake off so I file it down with a nail file. Darwin's point gets a bit too long so I Dremel it occasionally and flake off any loose bits on the edges. Captive birds aren't always chewing on what they would in the wild so I think some do need help. Cracking nuts in the shell and chewing on wood helps but not all birds keep their beaks in great shape.

When I got Quack she was using a large sandpaper perch as her main perch. Her beak didn't need trimming as she was always rubbing it on the sandpaper but it was almost too pink getting close to the blood vessels. And her feet were a bit too pink from the rough surface too. I would rather have to trim her beak than to have her feet raw so moved it to a less used spot.

The vets also trim anything they see needing it when they are in for their checkups.
He is doing good right now. So I will leave him be unless there is a problem. And If there is I will take him to an avian vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wonderful news! :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So glad you found him... And I, too, thank you for your service.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I put up a wall of curtains between the front door area and the living area so the birds can't fly through.
We used the "double door" system when I had Miyetti at our last apartment. The second door being a curtain. Here in the RV with TD we have to be satisfied with a double check system...and not just on bird safety! So glad this one made it home! @Castiel I'm glad you made it home as well. I'm a former grunt, engaged to a Vietnam Veteran Marine...we thank you for your service! Be well.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's fantastic news!!! I, too, lost one of our birds for 3 days before I found him hanging upside down from a large spider web. It's the worst feeling ever to lose them, and the most joyous feeling to find them again.
Give him lots of love and treats today! He's one very lucky bird!