• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cassius is growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its happening sooner than I expected, but thats okay :) The past week he has been going through some more noticeable changes (wanting to breed my hand :eek: attacking the trackman, nipping/pinching me occasionally). Yesterday he was going crazy nipping me so I left and got him some easily shredable toys (some of his favorite foot toys - balls stuffed with shredable material and popsicle sticks, braided balsa toys, etc). Seemed to help a lot, he took all his velociraptor out on the toys instead of me :D After he was done with that he flew over and sat on my shoulder and preened my hair, all sweet an innocent as if nothing had happened :rofl: I love my hawkhead parrot :heart:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Awwww Jill it is hard to see them grow up isn't it??

Growing up into hopefully confident and strong minded animals that we choose to share our homes with.

Better the toys see the velociraptor side than you! :scared3:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
aww glad he went back to his sweet self!!:dance4::dance4:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I knew it was only a matter of time, I just didnt think it would be now :p He is still such a good boy though. We'll just take it as it comes and make adjustments along the way. But wow... when he gets on a rampage - watch out! I had heard of hawkheads on a mission but it is no joke!!! If he wants to get you, he wont stop till he does :rofl: (I may not be laughing so much later if he really gets me - so Ive heard their bite is no joke). Id much rather see him take it out on his toys :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I guess watching the body language of your Cash to watch for the head dress to pop out and him to go nutz. lol

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww..poor baby all feeling his oats and stuff.:p Good that he can adjust himself back to being sweet when he wants to. The babies from him & your hand would look very funny...:rofl:I am glad Cochise does not show any of this.:eek:
Cash is looking awesome Jill!!:heart:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I knew it was only a matter of time, I just didnt think it would be now :p He is still such a good boy though. We'll just take it as it comes and make adjustments along the way. But wow... when he gets on a rampage - watch out! I had heard of hawkheads on a mission but it is no joke!!! If he wants to get you, he wont stop till he does :rofl: (I may not be laughing so much later if he really gets me - so Ive heard their bite is no joke). Id much rather see him take it out on his toys :D
The best thing you can do is letting him take it out on his toys. Fortunately, HH are very much into playing, and it usually doesn't take much to get them focused on that. Once they have exhausted all their energy (and this may take hours) they become cuddle bugs again - for a while. However, if they ever get very upset with someone for any particular reason, then it can become an obsessive objective to get them, LOL. Were HH the size of larger parrots like cockatoos or Amazons, that side of their adult character would be a more serious concern for owners.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
AWWWW I would Love him Too:hug8:

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Wow, moody, huh? Glad you were able to focus his attention on the toys. He looks so innocent in the picture Jill.:lol:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Aww..poor baby all feeling his oats and stuff.:p Good that he can adjust himself back to being sweet when he wants to. The babies from him & your hand would look very funny...:rofl:I am glad Cochise does not show any of this.:eek:
Cash is looking awesome Jill!!:heart:
Those would be crazy chicks indeed! :rofl: :rofl: At least you know know more about Cochise's age (if the band is correct;)). At his age I bet you wont have so many worries with this, he's already past the "just growing up" stage. Lucky you :D How is he doing with his scritches at night? :)

However, if they ever get very upset with someone for any particular reason, then it can become an obsessive objective to get them, LOL. Were HH the size of larger parrots like cockatoos or Amazons, that side of their adult character would be a more serious concern for owners.
That is what I think of when I look back on what has been said on the HH list. I spend the majority of the time interacting with Cash, but as much as I hate to admit it, i think he preers my husband. I am hoping that with all the training and work I do with Cash, that we will be able to maintain a good relationship, even if Im not his chosen. I just dont want to be the one he's determined to destroy :eek: :hehe:

Can you even imaging a cockatoo or macaw-sized hawkhead? :eek: Its probably a good thing they are on the smaller side :rofl: Boy that would be an impressive bird though!

How old is Cassius?
He will be three years old in April :) he came home to me at about 6 months old. He has changed a lot over the past 2 years, he is an amazing bird and Im sure he has much to teach me ;)

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
He's so beautiful!!! :heart:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Love hearing stories about him...even this! Just have LOTS of sheadables available for him!!!!!:dance4::hug8:

TITANIS

That is what I think of when I look back on what has been said on the HH list. I spend the majority of the time interacting with Cash, but as much as I hate to admit it, i think he preers my husband. I am hoping that with all the training and work I do with Cash, that we will be able to maintain a good relationship, even if Im not his chosen. I just dont want to be the one he's determined to destroy :eek: :hehe:
How does he react when your husband is close by and you are handling him? Does he change moods or doesn't seem change behavior at all?

Can you even imaging a cockatoo or macaw-sized hawkhead? :eek: Its probably a good thing they are on the smaller side :rofl: Boy that would be an impressive bird though!
OMG, it absolutely would be. A CAG-sized HH is a fantasy of mine. It's possible you know, were captive HH numbers greater than they are and breeders interested in breeding for size. It is well known that many bird species including parrots are actually somewhat larger in their native habitats compared to their captive counterparts, and this is usually attributed to superior feeding by parents until fledging. We also know that Brazilians are slightly larger as well, so it is well within the genetic makeup of this species to grow larger.

How much larger is open to speculation. I'm sure if HH numbers were ever to increase in aviculture to appreciable amounts, I forsee the possibility in breeding for size. I envision these birds approaching 400g to be within realistic possibilities but it would require a lot of time and particular attention to parent selection.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Usually if my husband comes in, Cassius goes straight to him to hang out (not always though). That is why i wonder if he might like him more than me, but it is also possible he's just excited to see him because Cash is with me all day and Im not as exciting ;)

Last night, Cash was hanging out with me watching TV for a bit and DH was going to put him to bed - Cash gave his veliciraptor display to him (fast moving, hissing, striking). There is no mistaking what Cash wants :lol: and he was not ready for bed yet. He does the same thing to me, so I guess we both get equal shares of the 'tude when it strikes. DH is not real bird-savvy and doesnt "deal" with it (which is fine, better than doing something wrong). When Cash gets like this its easy enough for me to find something he does want and entice him with that to get him to do what I need him to do. For example - he will be up on his atom and NOT want to come down (full display with the war bonet flared and all) and yet its time for him to go to bed. He has a crazy fascination with going into the bathroom (especially if the faucet is on), so I just go in there and act like Im washing my hands and he will zip right in (either lands on my shoulder or up on the shower rod). Its like a switch is flipped and he will step right up and be as sweet as always. So at that point I spend a little more time with him just hanging out and then go to bed (so he doesnt think/associate all that with being "tricked"). He gets his way and I get mine (sort of, lol). You just cant rush him, and sometimes it does take a little bit of convincing.

A CAG sized HH would be really something. When I first got cash I was a little surprised at his size (handnt seen one in person for many, many years) and was expecting him to be a bit bigger. Ive really gotten used to his size how though and love it :) He fits on my shoulder easier than Cyan and I like that :hehe: (I know, huge risk having him there but Im willing to accept the consequences).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A huge HH would be a force to reckon with.:eek: I have not seen the velociraptor side, but still do have to do things Cochise's way, or he flees. It is funny too, because he can be acting like he is going to run off, then suddenly turn around and allow me to pick him up{he is on the floor at this point} Our in-the-dark scritch sessions are doing great. He used to complain if nervous or scared, by flipping on his back or over, crest goes up, and a scratchy whining sound. Now it is just a soft short whine, but he allows you to touch him, and only complains for a brief moment. Yesterday I was on the phone with a friend as I was going to bring him back to his cage. I extended out my right arm, and I had to tell my friend to hold on a second, because he is running up my right arm so fast, I had to switch the phone to my left hand. He is so silly.:D

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They really can move quick cant they? :D

Cash is so silly. Yesterday he was munching on his Harrison's pellet (or is it a nugget? :lol:). i look over again and he's preening - but is he? Nope, he was resting the nugget on his back, using it like a table and eating it from there :rofl: He is so funny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.