• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for my 16 year old Tortie

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
Wow 16 yrs old. Hope she lives many more years!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Wow 16 yrs old. Hope she lives many more years!
Thank you! She is 16 years, 4 mos. She is doing so much better now. An infection such as E Coli bacteria evidentally came upon slow, but sure was pretty bad. She will start on an organic remgime tomorrow for kidney support of herbal remedies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
What's funny, is she is going places she has never been before 12 plus years in this house.

She is on the couch all the time now. Sometimes on the top cushions. She likes to sit on the fireplace hearth.

Restored life? Maybe, just really feeling good! And I am happy. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Here I am again to update on my old Girl. We have had a relapse in the last couple of days. Once again, not appetite and blood again in her urine. The Vet I used 2 weeks ago for the other one was just here.

This Vet is super cool. She knows the history of what the other Vet practice did. Since I feel this infection again seems to be the same, she called in a sript for the same antibiotic as before. She has lost the weight she gained, she's down again.

One last valiant try here with her. If she rebounds, eats again I am going to be happy. If not, then I will have to make that decision to let her go. It really sucks, I am not playing God with her since she still seems to have the life in her.

Painful to see something you love feel bad.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry. Cheering for another rebound!

:heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm so sorry. Cheering for another rebound!

:heart:
Thank you! She had an interest in the critical care canned food. But I helped her get more in via syringe. She had an anti nausea injection earlier. Just got some sub Q fluids. Heading to the pharmacy for the antibiotic.

This Vet was so cool! The others would have had to do all the tests and cultures again. We do not have 2 weeks or a week here for a culture.

Hoping we can get over this. The Vet agrees we try this. If it doesn't work then we have to make that decision. And I gate being in this situation!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
As I told you in a private message, I'm so sorry she's sick again! :( Praying she feels better soon!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm sorry to hear she's had a relapse Claire. I think we always have such hope for our loved companions to have many more days. As long as she is comfortable and eating that's all you can ask for... and a few more cuddles and kisses. We didn't make our decision soon enough for our Jesse. I would have but my husband just wasn't ready to let go. His death was imminent in a very short time but he just couldn't bring himself to go to the vet and send Jesse to a comfortable journey. It was when Jesse went into a seizure in the wee hours he realized he should have let go sooner. The vet couldn't open soon enough for us, Jesse was dying. He managed to hang on long enough for us to put his pain to end. I was looking for his last video and found it but I don't know if it will post. I won't put it on youtube, so if it doesn't work... it doesn't work. But it's my last bit of my beautiful boy that I have. Tried... it wouldn't load.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm sorry to hear she's had a relapse Claire. I think we always have such hope for our loved companions to have many more days. As long as she is comfortable and eating that's all you can ask for... and a few more cuddles and kisses. We didn't make our decision soon enough for our Jesse. I would have but my husband just wasn't ready to let go. His death was imminent in a very short time but he just couldn't bring himself to go to the vet and send Jesse to a comfortable journey. It was when Jesse went into a seizure in the wee hours he realized he should have let go sooner. The vet couldn't open soon enough for us, Jesse was dying. He managed to hang on long enough for us to put his pain to end. I was looking for his last video and found it but I don't know if it will post. I won't put it on youtube, so if it doesn't work... it doesn't work. But it's my last bit of my beautiful boy that I have. Tried... it wouldn't load.
Thank you Andrea. I am not giving up yet be cause the clinical symptoms appear to be the same as before.

It could be something beyond an infection, something else causing it. Lessened immune system, could be cancer. The kidneys felt large to her. Generally older cats kidneys shrink somewhat. This is why I feel it might be an upper urinary infection involving the kidneys.

It can make you feel yucky, her body temp is alittle low, not that bad.

We will give it the time for the next 14 days on the antibiotics to see if there is a change in the next few days.

She's eating today, with my help. She's comfortable, and I put her in the sun to help her feel nice and warm.

20191001_163641.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you Andrea. I am not giving up yet be cause the clinical symptoms appear to be the same as before.

It could be something beyond an infection, something else causing it. Lessened immune system, could be cancer. The kidneys felt large to her. Generally older cats kidneys shrink somewhat. This is why I feel it might be an upper urinary infection involving the kidneys.

It can make you feel yucky, her body temp is alittle low, not that bad.

We will give it the time for the next 14 days on the antibiotics to see if there is a change in the next few days.

She's eating today, with my help. She's comfortable, and I put her in the sun to help her feel nice and warm.

View attachment 316344
It wouldn't be so bad getting older if we didn't have the aches and pains. I'm sure our pets have the same little annoyances we do, I just wish they could talk to us and tell us what's wrong. Healing thoughts for her.... I love, love that photo of her!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
how is she doing tonight?
She is quiet, resting. She had a rough day, Vet feeling and taking her temp she was not happy. Me pilling her, making her eat.

Tomorrow will be a repeat of care. She's content, but under the weather. I hope by tomorrow she's got more spunk and is hungry.

Thank you for asking V :hug8:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It wouldn't be so bad getting older if we didn't have the aches and pains. I'm sure our pets have the same little annoyances we do, I just wish they could talk to us and tell us what's wrong. Healing thoughts for her.... I love, love that photo of her!
I know, so painstakingly unknown, hard to figure out and makes us so worried.

Food is important though. Cannot allow the body to shut down when they are so thin.

I will update tomorrow. Hoping this antibiotic gets to work quickly.

She loves the warm sun, caught her in the moment. She is a sweet Girl.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Blessings for kitty Claire. She's a fighter for sure!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Blessings for kitty Claire. She's a fighter for sure!
Thank you Tricia. My heart says try until you cannot. My head says she's content for what I can see. She's got energy, she pees and drinks. Today she came in the kitchen, looked as if she wanted to eat.

Well no, but she didn't complain getting about 2 tsp of the mush Vet canned food. She has kept all down from yesterday.

I realize as we get older, when you don't feel good food is the last thing we want. But also it gives us energy.

If it's my last effort here to help her if it is an infection, I will.

I am not being one keeping her here for me. I want everyone to realize that I am not doing this, although some may read and think that. Cats heal in strange ways. They can be different then dogs when they are ill.

The Vet yesterday is mobile, very nearby 5 miles. She is a text, call or email away. She thinks as I do we try this. And we both know if she doesn't respond, or does and it happens again then I have to make that choice. Right now, with Vet guidance and agreement we are trying to help her.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Hopefully the meds will help her feel better and gain a bit of weight!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hopefully the meds will help her feel better and gain a bit of weight!
She's sleeping now. Got her antibiotic after another small feeding of just canned. Then got alittle sub Q fluids to keep her hydrated.

She's comfy, I decided to give her her pill and another small feeding when she came in the kitchen looking to eat. I will keep on feeding her until she wants to eat on her own hopefully.

I am hopeful not tomorrow the antibiotic really kicks in and kicks this thing. She definitely seems alot more vibrant and less inert the weather then yesterday at this time.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
She's sleeping now. Got her antibiotic after another small feeding of just canned. Then got alittle sub Q fluids to keep her hydrated.

She's comfy, I decided to give her her pill and another small feeding when she came in the kitchen looking to eat. I will keep on feeding her until she wants to eat on her own hopefully.

I am hopeful not tomorrow the antibiotic really kicks in and kicks this thing. She definitely seems alot more vibrant and less inert the weather then yesterday at this time.
good! I'm glad she's comfy and seems to be doing better! Sub Q fluids help so so much with feeling better so I bet that combined with her food and antibiotic pill will help her! Praying she kicks this thing to the curb. I know what it's like to have an old sick kitty and it's heartbreaking.